The Student Room Group

Which Edexcel units should I look at? (extra)

I've taken C1,2; S1,2; FP1; D1; M1 and will be taking C3,4; FP2,3; D2, S3 through school next year.

I'll also be doing STEP next Summer. I'm thinking of looking at a couple of units myself over Summer where I have time.

I may or may not actually take the exams, depends obviously how good I can get them to make it worthwhile - so it would mainly be for purpose of keeping my maths up, and widening knowledge for STEP etc.

Just wondering which you think would be most worthwhile to look at, choices are obviously S4; M2,3,4,5. Of which my school only teaches M2,3 - which is relevant only if I ended up taking the exam, in which case I could make time for some lessons in M2, 3 to make sure I was up to scratch, but help for S4 or M4/5 would be more thin on the ground.

Thanks.
You need to think about a few things:

What are you looking to do in the future?
What do you enjoy more? Do you prefer stats or do you prefer mechanics?
Would you be capable learning a module (and getting a good grade) all by yourself or would you need a teacher? Don't forget, if you're learning it yourself, its more than likely that your teachers aren't going to be much help should you require it, would you be able to figure out the questions yourself?
Reply 2
Original post by claret_n_blue
You need to think about a few things:

What are you looking to do in the future?
What do you enjoy more? Do you prefer stats or do you prefer mechanics?
Would you be capable learning a module (and getting a good grade) all by yourself or would you need a teacher? Don't forget, if you're learning it yourself, its more than likely that your teachers aren't going to be much help should you require it, would you be able to figure out the questions yourself?

Thanks for the response, but I feel I answered most of those in my OP.

I'm applying to do CS at university (with Mathematics at Cambridge, and EECS for those Universities which offer it).

I honestly really like both, but as I said I'm taking D2/S3 instead of M2/3 through school next year, as it will be more relevant/helpful with CS.

Yes I think I would be - which is why my post is "which" and not "should I do this at all". Regardless, as I actually said in my original post, I won't necessarily take the exam, unless I get to a point where I think I'm good enough at this that I might as well (I'd have to be confident of at least 80 UMS to bother, otherwise it's just for interest and practice).

Here's my OP again for reference.

Original post by FO12DY
I've taken C1,2; S1,2; FP1; D1; M1 and will be taking C3,4; FP2,3; D2, S3 through school next year.

I'll also be doing STEP next Summer. I'm thinking of looking at a couple of units myself over Summer where I have time.

I may or may not actually take the exams, depends obviously how good I can get them to make it worthwhile - so it would mainly be for purpose of keeping my maths up, and widening knowledge for STEP etc.

Just wondering which you think would be most worthwhile to look at, choices are obviously S4; M2,3,4,5. Of which my school only teaches M2,3 - which is relevant only if I ended up taking the exam, in which case I could make time for some lessons in M2, 3 to make sure I was up to scratch, but help for S4 or M4/5 would be more thin on the ground.

Thanks.
Reply 3
Perhaps I should rephrase for clarity:

Which units - of Edexcel M2, M3, M4, M5, S4 - would be most beneficial in preparation for STEP?
Reply 4
Original post by FO12DY

Thanks.

Why don't you take a head step on C3 and C4 and then start preparing for STEP? That's what I'm planning to do.
Reply 5
Original post by TDL
Why don't you take a head step on C3 and C4 and then start preparing for STEP? That's what I'm planning to do.

Yeah I will be reviewing C3/4, just to stay on top of maths apart from anything else.

Always find my basic maths/speed is shocking after holidays :rolleyes:.
Definitely mechanics. M4 and M5 were the only bits of A level which I liked.

Quick Reply

Latest