Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I do with my pennies!?

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pennies are pointless, they should just round up/down to the nearest 5p like Australia have done.

Some supermarkets have Coinstar machines that you put the pennies into and print out a voucher to either exchange for cash or get money off your shopping, but they charge you ~10% to enable you to spend money that was already yours.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    One of the those fallacies that is absurd.

Legal tender only applies when paying off debts.

You can use 1ps and 2ps to pay up to a total of 20p
    for the first statement, i always assumed you were technically in debt to the shop as you currently posses items that dont belong to you, until paid for, thus legal tender could be used in that context, I'm probably wrong, just something i assumed.

As for the second statement, i found that very absurd, so searched the internet and found this link to clarify it
    http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/pol...der-guidelines
    however, that states it's for `legal tender` which you've already said, in my scenario, isn't the case, so does that `rule` still apply?

Not having a go, just curious :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use them to pay for things I think are overpriced, so that it makes me feel slightly less annoyed at having to pay for it. Usually bus fares and postage.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    'What should I do with my penis!?', I presume?

So did I. :sigh: :getmecoat:
    I thought it said 'what should I do with my penises!?'

:getmecoat:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd just use them to irritate the bus drivers by paying 1.00£ or whatever in 1p coins :P
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    I thought it said 'what should I do with my penises!?'

:getmecoat:
    Maybe he stores them in the penis jar? :dontknow:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kog)
    for the first statement, i always assumed you were technically in debt to the shop as you currently posses items that dont belong to you, until paid for, thus legal tender could be used in that context, I'm probably wrong, just something i assumed.

As for the second statement, i found that very absurd, so searched the internet and found this link to clarify it
    http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/pol...der-guidelines
    however, that states it's for `legal tender` which you've already said, in my scenario, isn't the case, so does that `rule` still apply?

Not having a go, just curious :P
    Legal tender refers to any financial obligation, so a shop transaction still applies. Although of course coins are legal tender, a specific collection of them (for example 1p and 2p coins up to 21p) is not always legal tender!

(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Pennies are pointless, they should just round up/down to the nearest 5p like Australia have done.
    I remember reading that one reason that Canada removed the cent coin was that it was costing 1.4 cents just to produce :lol:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Build a fort
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont own a camera or have a camera on my phone and im not going out of my way to get one to show some forum heroes my change collection.

going to start taking it all down to the bank next week. someone told me i can only take five small change bags per visit to cash in. looks like ill be doing it daily for a few months
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is diving in fountains your favourite leisure activity by any chance? You can act as an annoying customer to get revenge on annoying retailers. I would aim at the Apple Store.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Paint them silver and form 10p coins. Instant profit if a cashier is daft!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to give them to the homeless because you are unsure what they do with them, then maybe buy food instead and give it to them?

I once bought a McDonalds McFlurry with 99 1p pennies
    (Yes, I scattered them all onto the counter)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just put them in my piggy bank. It's overflowing but I cba to go to the bank.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dattru)
    Hiya,

Generally speaking I get alot of 1 or 2 pence change and I always think about using them in a better way, eg. for charity or to beggars.

But you never know what the beggars do with their money and I don't really like to support their activity.
    Generally speaking I also believe that most of the charities doesn't solve the issues, but postpone them.

Anyone got any idea where else you can use your pennies for something that would make a slight difference?
    Get a piggy-bank thing that counts your money- I've got one it's good! It soon mounts up quickly.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-CO...item256f9ef7d1
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you have a car just put them in the ashtray. So whenever you fill up, go over the cost by a few pence and use the pennies. Its what I do
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dattru)
    Hiya,

Generally speaking I get alot of 1 or 2 pence change and I always think about using them in a better way, eg. for charity or to beggars.

But you never know what the beggars do with their money and I don't really like to support their activity.
    Generally speaking I also believe that most of the charities doesn't solve the issues, but postpone them.

Anyone got any idea where else you can use your pennies for something that would make a slight difference?
    I put them into a pot and then once the pot gets pretty full, I take it to my bank (HSBC) and they have a machine that accepts coins so I bung them all there. Make a mental note of about how much the deposit was and then donate to charity. There are some charities that dont work to reduce poverty but just to help someone cope with their life, Sense is a good charity so that solves your worry about whether charities postpone problems
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have a huge jar with all my loose change in, the every summer I take it to either the supermarket or bank and get it changed into notes means I have an extra £5-£20 to spend on holiday, or a night out
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Although some of my house mates didn't buy into it, we kept a copper pot in our student house, and after two years had raised £15. Better than a stubbed toe innit?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I save them up and pop it into my bank with it's coin machine. Going to do it at some point this week actually.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    go to local shop, buy a chocolate bar, record the till mans face and show us

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 8, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.