The Student Room Group

Gaelic:Yay or Nae (or tha agus chan eil!!)

This poll is closed

What do you think of Gaelic

It is important27%
It isn't that important27%
It isn't important27%
It's a waste of time18%
Total votes: 11
I'm curious to find out what people actually think of Gaelic...Do you think it is a waste of time or do you think that it's essential to keep the language alive?
I think the onus has to be on speakers to keep the language alive. I lean heavily towards the mode of thinking that any culture or language which cannot support itself should be allowed to die. I think anyone who wishes to learn the language should have the opportunity in school but beyond that im dubious with regard to public support. However as for what is essential about the language...it is the last link to true Scottishness ( a **** word, but the meaning is clear ) and with the death of Gaelic goes the last link between modern Scotland and the original Scots and the founding of our nation. Without Gaelic Scotland its no longer Scottish - it is entirely Anglo-Scottish at best and English in denial at worst. Not being anti-English or racist at all this is not something with which i have a problem but considering the nature of Scottish self-perception/Nationalism/patriotism i cant but feel contempt for those who so passionately define themselves as Scottish/In opposition to the English while being in almost all respects entirely English.
Reply 2
I would say its important as part of scottish tradition but as a subject in school I wouldnt prioritise it. Dont hound me for that its just my opinion.
Dhesi
I would say its important as part of scottish tradition but as a subject in school I wouldnt prioritise it. Dont hound me for that its just my opinion.

Subjects like English/Maths etc are essential and deserving of priority. Gaelic should simply be an option available to those who want it.
Reply 4
Yes where available I agree it should be made available if there is:

-Enough funding to provide the course without removing money from other more essential subjects(English, maths, the sciences etc).

-The number of staff available allows it to be possible to run the course.

Mike

Latest