Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To stay in my pretty little flat or halls?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry about the typical question! But I'd really love some other people's opinions. Most of my mates who are at uni are telling me I HAVE to live in halls.

However, I'm currently renting a lovely flat, I've made myself a lovely little home here, and I also have a wonderful partner. I've made a life for myself with him in our flat, and I don't want to leave that behind? On the other hand, uni is a once in a lifetime experience, and I want to make the most of it.

I do live only a 30 minute walk from the uni though so nights out with fellow students shouldn't be a problem, but I still feel like I'm missing out.

I know this is ultimately my decision to make but I was hoping for a few other opinions.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    would it be possibly for him to stay in the flat without you for one year and move back into it in second year?
    the main advantage of halls is that it makes it easier to meet people but if you feel confident about making friends on your course and in societies then it won't be a big deal.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stay in your flat.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stay in the flat, you'll make just as much friends as anyone else so going out won't be a problem.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all for the replies.

(Original post by boba)
    would it be possibly for him to stay in the flat without you for one year and move back into it in second year?
    the main advantage of halls is that it makes it easier to meet people but if you feel confident about making friends on your course and in societies then it won't be a big deal.
    At the moment, no, as he'd have to cover all the expenses himself. He's currently in pursuit of a higher paying job so if he lands one then... maybe?
    But that's a good point. I was thinking of moving into halls for the first year, seeing as I'd be in the same city as him anyway, I could spend half my time with him/half in halls! I was just concerened, as I've built a life with him, I don't think it's wise to give that up for a few years at uni? Uni is just a small proportion of my life.

I'm not a confident person I'll admit, but I know I'll make the effort and throw myself into things... I have to!

Edit: I suppose by living in a flat which I've already been in a couple of years, I've already grown indepedent and all that, so the only thing I'm concerened about is the social side of things. Living with people makes you closer you know?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On my course not many people bothered to make friends and there are only 4 or 5 I did become friends with. Due to living in different locations and having other friends outside uni (housemates) we don't go out much together or see each other out of uni, where as with the friends I made from halls in first year we go out all the time even with not living with them all now. So i'd say living in halls is a better experience and makes you better friends from my point of view, but if you don't want to change your current life then don't.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I stayed in my flat for the first year and changed my mind... could I go into halls for my second year?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for your reply. Initially I never even considered moving into halls - it was only after catching up with my old school friends that made me think twice. But your reply has made me feel more sure or myself, different things work for different people

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhamBamJam.)
    If I stayed in my flat for the first year and changed my mind... could I go into halls for my second year?
    depends on the uni but even at unis where this is allowed most 2years plus choose to live in private rented anyway
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My brother stayed in a flat with his GF throughout uni. He now regrets it because he didn't experience the halls. But that's just one example.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would vote for staying in your flat. I didn't get on well with my hall mates, at all. I didn't even get on very well in a house when I was one of five this year having been in a flat of two/three the year before. I much prefer the quiet life.

My best friend was the girl I lived with the last two years and we met on our course, in freshers week actually (and became friends because I was jokingly trying to set her up with one of the guys in my tutor group)

Of all my closest university friends none of them have come from hall, all from my course or my social activities (like church)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends how capable you are of making friends on your course and how much more of a social life you want further than your boyf / existing. In my case I made very few friends on my course but made a really core group of 15 or so people through halls.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    After halls you would most likely have to find a flat/house share anyways, if you are happy where you are now I would say halls is not worth it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Having just finished uni, I'd say staying in the flat would work out fine. There's plenty of other opportunities to make friends: courses, clubs, societies, going out when you're invited out and all that other stuff.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 10, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.