Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Low blood sugar?? :S

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    For a while now, every now and again, I suddenly end up feeling like I have a low blood sugar level. I would say it happens about once every 2-4 weeks. Like today, for example, I felt very hot, sweaty, shaky and looked very pale all within about a minute. I felt like I was going to pass out. This was at 12:30. I had eaten a large breakfast at 8:30, with sugar on and had some flavoured water and a hot chocolate in between breakfast and 12:30pm. I had to eat and drink quite a bit before I felt better. I've been tested for thyroid problems and anaemia back in Jan 2012 and it came back negative. Should I see my GP?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me the thread title isn't on your list of 'conversation topics for consideration'..
    • 102 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenniferann232)
    Me and my bf have been going out for nearly 3 years and I'm quite confused... When we go out for meals etc on our own, I always worry we will have nothing to talk about, as is the situation right now. What I'm doing is probably quite rude but I'm so scared of awkward silences because it's happened before with someone else.. :/ i
    how does that link to low blood sugar?

:confused: x 100

edit: LOL, talk to him about low blood sugar
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd clicked the wrong link when I read your post. Misleading much?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What the hell ... does this have to do with low blood sugar...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I get hungry I know because I get hot and sweat, which I think is due to low blood sugar. I didn't realise until I was 16 that this wasn't how everyone knew that they were hungry.

This makes for a good conversation topic for me because I can say "my new housemate had only just moved in five minutes previously, and I collapsed from low blood sugar and slashed my hand open on a broken plate and made the bathroom look like a murder scene, LOL".
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oookay so wtf has my thread done?! woah I'm confused that's an old thread I made. How do I delete this???
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    Title : Low blood sugar??

What OP said.
    Me and my bf have been going out for nearly 3 years and I'm quite confused... When we go out for meals etc on our own, I always worry we will have nothing to talk about, as is the situation right now. What I'm doing is probably quite rude but I'm so scared of awkward silences because it's happened before with someone else.. :/ i

What we all think :lolwut: How is this related?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oookay so wtf has my thread done?! woah I'm confused that's an old thread I made. How do I delete this???
    Nooo, go with it. You want interesting tales to tell your boyfriend about on the topic of low blood sugar!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBoardman)
    Please tell me the thread title isn't on your list of 'conversation topics for consideration'..
    Lol, no. The thread has messed up some how. Stupidly what is in the thread was originally posted not showing my name but now it has. Awkward. How do I delete it?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should do something more engaging with him that detracts from full on conversation and to create new memories and avenues of conversation. Or maybe you should cut loose if you think hes not interesting anymore
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Talk to him about what he's been up to, about what you've been up to, your plans for the next few days, how your families are, whether you prefer penguins to ponies, anything! After three years, conversation should be natural, and you shouldn't be worrying about it. If you have nothing to say then this would kind of indicate that you don't have much in common and that you shouldn't be together anyway.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    THREAD HAS NOW BEEN EDITED don't know what happened there...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    For a while now, every now and again, I suddenly end up feeling like I have a low blood sugar level. I would say it happens about once every 2-4 weeks. Like today, for example, I felt very hot, sweaty, shaky and looked very pale all within about a minute. I felt like I was going to pass out. This was at 12:30. I had eaten a large breakfast at 8:30, with sugar on and had some flavoured water and a hot chocolate in between breakfast and 12:30pm. I had to eat and drink quite a bit before I felt better. I've been tested for thyroid problems and anaemia back in Jan 2012 and it came back negative. Should I see my GP?
    You could do, although you might want to see if you can deal with it yourself first.

I realised that something had to be done after my collapse-and-slice-myself-open incident.
    I noticed that it had got really bad when I had tried to lose some weight. Either the lower amount of food did it, or the type of food - I had lowered fats, like butter.

If I'm going out somewhere, I can't have nutella on toast. I think because the nutella is too sugary, it peaks the sugar level, then dips it down again crazily. So I will have half my breakfast nutella (because it is nom), and half peanut butter.

So - you should have a fiddle about with your diet. "I had eaten a large breakfast at 8:30, with sugar on and had some flavoured water and a hot chocolate" sounds like you could have the same issue as me; lots of sugar, little fat. Depends what exactly your breakfast was though. 'Flavoured water' also isn't a lot to go on - the sugar content is the important part. I got some Volvic Touch Of Strawberry, and it is 4.8% sugar! In the 500ml bottle, that's 24g or 26% of my daily allowance. In one drink! I didn't drink it after I had read the label (unfortunately this was after I'd bought it ).

After I idenified the issue being high sugar and low fat food, I have found this, which seems to support my observations:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...cemia-and-fat/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You will not have low blood sugar. There is really only one good way to get low blood sugar, give yourself too much insulin. The body really is remarkably good at keeping your blood sugar well above anything dangerous, unless you've starved yourself for a LONG time.

More likely you were dehydrated.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslt)
    You will not have low blood sugar. There is really only one good way to get low blood sugar, give yourself too much insulin. The body really is remarkably good at keeping your blood sugar well above anything dangerous, unless you've starved yourself for a LONG time.

There are other ways. Sometimes the body gets it wrong - especially when someone eats lots of fast-acting carbs, and not much in the way of long acting.
    (For example, the body gets insulin regulation wrong in diabetics)

I know several people who have hypoglycaemia, they are not just dehydrated.

It sounds like hypoglycaemia, just make sure you are eating food which will release energy slowly and have a snack on hand just in case it does happen.
    Sugar releases really quickly so try and avoid a lot of that in one go because it will just make it worse.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslt)

False, hslt. Reactive hypoglycemia is when the body creates too much insulin after a carb-laden meal.

It is 'treated' by having the individual change their diet to lessen the fluctuations in insulin production. For example, the person could have many smaller meals rather than a few big ones.

Also, I was drinking plenty when I had symptoms similar to the OP.

Source

OP - you should get one of those home glucose kits, then measure your glucose levels when you get the symptoms.
    I tried buying one at the pharmacist when I was going through my issues, but they fobbed me off. They thought that I was talking about high blood sugar levels, tested me in store, and said I was fine. Well of course I was, I was asking about low blood sugar levels that are reactive a while after meal times, not constantly abnormal sugar levels!
    When symptoms are present, if it's low blood sugar level, it will be around 2.5mmol/l or less.

My Dad and Granddad are the same, but again, controlled it by diet rather than ever actually finding out what the problem was.

Now that I have changed my diet I haven't had this for months. If it happens in future, I'm ordering a kit online immediately. Collapsing and bleeding everywhere is not fun, and OP, that's why you need to check out what's going on before that happens.

From what you have said so far (which admittedly isn't a huge amount), it sounds like you have the same symptoms as me. If it is the same as mine.. then you can expect to be at high risk of actually passing out one day. My Dad eats a mini mars bar when he gets the symptoms, which immediately jolts the levels back up. However, that's a risky strategy as you could just make the levels crash down again soon after!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslt)

Would I have been dehydrated? I had quite a lot of liquids that morning
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini-Cooper)
    There are other ways. Sometimes the body gets it wrong - especially when someone eats lots of fast-acting carbs, and not much in the way of long acting.
    (For example, the body gets insulin regulation wrong in diabetics)
    Nononononono

Diabetics don't have enough insulin, or are peripherally insensitive to insulin. They run hyperglycaemic. They get hypoglycaemia by either injecting too much insulin, or exercising too much.

In the latter, the reason they can get hypos is because insulin is required for storage of glucose/glycogen - their deranged insulin function means that their ability to store/mobilise stores of glycogen is also deranged.

I know several people who have hypoglycaemia, they are not just dehydrated.
    If they are diabetic then I believe you, but if not you are just perpetuating myths and they didn't have a blood glucose monitor to test and prove their non-existent hypo.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    GO TO THE GP.

I did this 11 years ago and was diagnosed with Diabetes.
    The sooner you can sort the problem out, the better you'll be in the long run.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.