Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where's Your Money

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I just launched a complete overhaul of a site I'd made before. It's called Where's Your Money and the purpose is to follow banknotes around the world. It's designed for mobile use, so when you're out and about you can just go on the site quickly if you find one of the notes. It's also design to be fast, e.g. it uses GPS to locate you if possible instead of making you type in where you are.

The website is http://wheresyourmoney.com

All feedback is appreciated, I'd like to hear your comments, opinions, any bugs you find, etc. please

Thank you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antriver)
    Hi,

I just launched a complete overhaul of a site I'd made before. It's called Where's Your Money and the purpose is to follow banknotes around the world. It's designed for mobile use, so when you're out and about you can just go on the site quickly if you find one of the notes. It's also design to be fast, e.g. it uses GPS to locate you if possible instead of making you type in where you are.

All feedback is appreciated, I'd like to hear your comments, opinions, any bugs you find, etc. please

Thank you!
    I like the idea very much. Incredibly infeasible though. The likelihood of each carrier to scan the same note is very low. None the less, great concept.

The website looks nice and clean. I haven't tried inputting a note myself, but I'm assuming that the user inputs the serial number on the note and it gets logged via GPS. Neat-o.

My only suggestion would be to set the map to road view. It's lighter in terms of bandwidth and it'd make the browsing experience more comfortable.

Kudos.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with tamimi on all counts. Nice idea, but I'm not sure it'll come off because of the sheer number of bank notes around...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nice. Although maybe not everybody is going to scan their notes, some people will and eventually may scan the same note that I've scanned so I'll be able to track it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    I like the idea very much. Incredibly infeasible though. The likelihood of each carrier to scan the same note is very low. None the less, great concept.

The website looks nice and clean. I haven't tried inputting a note myself, but I'm assuming that the user inputs the serial number on the note and it gets logged via GPS. Neat-o.

My only suggestion would be to set the map to road view. It's lighter in terms of bandwidth and it'd make the browsing experience more comfortable.

Kudos.
    Thanks for the comments.

You're right that it's extremely unlikely for every single person who gets that note to go on the site. But not everybody needs to. If just one or two people do it for each note then the concept still works.

Good suggestion about the road view, I wasn't actually aware that those ones were smaller. Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the comments.

You're right that it's extremely unlikely for every single person who gets that note to go on the site. But not everybody needs to. If just one or two people do it for each note then the concept still works.

Good suggestion about the road view, I wasn't actually aware that those ones were smaller. Thanks.
    The probability that those two people encountering the same note both even have internet access is 0.84 to 1

I'm really not saying that the concept is a bad model, I'm just saying it's, mathematical improbable.

Sin Cera
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    The probability that those two people encountering the same note both even have internet access is 0.84 to 1

I'm really not saying that the concept is a bad model, I'm just saying it's, mathematical improbable.

Sin Cera
    I already said, you don't expect everybody who ever has the note to go on and do it.
    But if just one or two people who get the note after it has been added go and say where it is, then it works. But even if some notes go unseen forever once they've been added it doesn't really matter.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the point of this.

Innovative, but, perhaps, a bit useless.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I already said, you don't expect everybody who ever has the note to go on and do it.
    But if just one or two people who get the note after it has been added go and say where it is, then it works. But even if some notes go unseen forever once they've been added it doesn't really matter.
    I think you're failing to take into account the sheer quantity of banknotes in circulation - you'd need hundreds of millions of entries to stand even a remote chance of ever seeing the same note twice...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    I think you're failing to take into account the sheer quantity of banknotes in circulation - you'd need hundreds of millions of entries to stand even a remote chance of ever seeing the same note twice...
    What this guy said^
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know one person doesn't have to see it twice right?

But of course people get the same notes as other people. You go to a café or something and pay with a £5 note. It goes in the till. The person behind you in the queue pays and gets your £5 as change...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know one person doesn't have to see it twice right?

But of course people get the same notes as other people. You go to a café or something and pay with a £5 note. It goes in the till. The person behind you in the queue pays and gets your £5 as change...
    How can you be failing to understand this? Your website has to see it twice. There are around 250 million banknotes in circulation (assuming the average denomination is £20 - it's probably lower, meaning there are more). For your website to see any one banknote more than once, you'll need to have hundreds of millions of entries. The chances of this happening unless everyone in the UK uses your website on a regular basis are slim to none.

It's a nice idea but statistically near enough impossible to pull off.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can you be failing to understand this? Your website has to see it twice. There are around 250 million banknotes in circulation (assuming the average denomination is £20 - it's probably lower, meaning there are more). For your website to see any one banknote more than once, you'll need to have hundreds of millions of entries. The chances of this happening unless everyone in the UK uses your website on a regular basis are slim to none.

It's a nice idea but statistically near enough impossible to pull off.
    Not to mention the strenuous databasing. Assuming that your website is a hit and everyone who has internet in the UK uses it at least 3 times, you're going to have about 158 million rows in a single table. I'm not sure how a server could handle that.

I'd suggest converting your website to a different subject. I mean, you've got it working, so Kudos, you may as well apply it to something else. Not sure what. Something feasible.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can you be failing to understand this? Your website has to see it twice.
    Sorry, I didn't know what you meant by "you" have you see it twice. Now you specified that "you" = the website I see what you're saying.

I can't argue with the logic. But I can show you that in practice it does work:
    http://wheresyourmoney.com/2023
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thank you!
    just wondering how did you actually create the function of tracking of notes on your website?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.