The Student Room Group

Performing Arts/Drama/Acting/etc Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by lizardsmithy:)
Yes though this person hasn't specified auditioning for LIPA as this thread is general and not dedicated to LIPA and i also guess different schools look for different things? And the MT anthologies i'm talking of actually take exact excerpts from the original scores - its just an overall cheaper way of having the music you need than buying each individual score! Good things to have on your shelves!
Is it just LIPA where you have to sit in a high chair? The other places i've been to haven't asked for that so it may just be a querky requirement or test from your place?

I am auditioning for LIPA but yeah I would like to be able to use the same song for other schools as well! I haven't had any auditions yet but LIPA were the only ones that mentioned in their pack about sitting on a high chair. Are your's the Hal Leonard books that say on the front " the selections are presented in their authentic settings, excerpted from the original vocal scores " ? X

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 221
All the books i've read advise against doing it because its a popular soprano favourite however, it may have gone out of fashion recently and would be ok? I'd tend to avoid green finch simply because i can't personally find as much of a journey through that song as in other repertoire that I know so from an acting perspective, they're just funner. But if you can do it really well, there's no reason why you shouldn't do it, especially if you want to show off soprano range and a more legit sound.
If you're looking for soprano sondheim songs, have you tried Not a Day Goes By from Merrily We Roll Along?
Great song, great show, AMAZING acting opportunities in it!
Its in a higher key than usual in soprano vol.1 of singers' musical theatre anthology if you want to showcase top notes.
Good luck! :smile:x

Oh yeah I just checked it out and the highest note is a G so it's totally in range haha! Thank you :smile: x

Reply 222
How long did you wait for an audition date (GSA - BA Musical Theatre)? I paid audition fee a month ago but I haven't got an audition date yet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mlle_Em
How long did you wait for an audition date (GSA - BA Musical Theatre)? I paid audition fee a month ago but I haven't got an audition date yet.

I paid audition fees for mountview and arts ed foundations months ago and they still haven't gotten back to me :/
Reply 224
I paid audition fees for mountview and arts ed foundations months ago and they still haven't gotten back to me :/

I would call them up. I didn't hear from mountivew for ages too. But when I called them they said they had e mailed me with a date which I had missed. It must have gone into my spam. Reg arts ed. I applied back in nov and had audition in jan.
Reply 225
Original post by Mlle_Em

I had regional audition for GSA. Applied in nov got date in early feb,just two weeks before audtion. Beware its a short first round. I was there 45 mins. Most of that was listening to others sing. You only get to sing one song. That's it.
I'm going to Urdang in September for their three year course for either the degree or the diploma, it depends on how my call back goes, either way im going to go no matter as i've already secured a place on the diploma, and I was wondering if anyone else has got in that wants to talk or meet up or something because I don't know anyone else there and only a few people that are going.

Jacob x
Reply 227
Not going there but well done for gaining a place and fingers crossed you get the degree place. Otherwise the diploma is very costly!!
Reply 228
Guys, anyone who has had a LIPA audition. On the requirement sheet it says "we will ask you to choose between showing us your musical theatre song and devised piece and whatever piece you don't show us you will show us at the recall" . Does that mean I don't have to have both prepared ? I don't have a devised prepared and am struggling ... Will I definitely not need to show it first round? Also is it possible to do a dance for devised (a contemporary type story thing ) or would they prefer a monologue ? Thanks :smile:

Reply 229
Also, anyone have any tips for quick throat fixes ? My top range has disappeared and I'm a bit croaky.

Original post by clorida
Also, anyone have any tips for quick throat fixes ? My top range has disappeared and I'm a bit croaky.

STEAM STEAM STEAM - don't waste money on throat sweets, they just lull you into a false sense of security and you end up hurting yourself even more. Steam is the only thing that works wonders - also gives you a facial at the same time. Also, if you want to drink something other than water - in national youth choir, they've told us that apple juice is really good at rehydrating for performance because its chemically quite close to saliva or something...
Reply 231
Original post by clorida
Guys, anyone who has had a LIPA audition. On the requirement sheet it says "we will ask you to choose between showing us your musical theatre song and devised piece and whatever piece you don't show us you will show us at the recall" . Does that mean I don't have to have both prepared ? I don't have a devised prepared and am struggling ... Will I definitely not need to show it first round? Also is it possible to do a dance for devised (a contemporary type story thing ) or would they prefer a monologue ? Thanks :smile:

Definitely just one of them - either song or devised piece. Then if you get to recall you might get to do the other one (but only if you get to the afternoon part if the recall!)
Reply 232
Original post by Showtunes
I had regional audition for GSA. Applied in nov got date in early feb,just two weeks before audtion. Beware its a short first round. I was there 45 mins. Most of that was listening to others sing. You only get to sing one song. That's it.

It's one of the hardest audition because you have to show your abilities in one song!

Can someone tell me something about the standard of candidates? Is it really hard to get a recall? I'm so nervous about choosing a wrong song. So, any advice about choosing it? I'm a very high soprano and I think about "Glitter and be gay". It shows my whole vocal range and technique. But is it not very overdone?
Didn't get into drama school this year, don't think I'm ready for that level of training at the moment but I have recieved offers for performance at Leeds met and drama & creative writing at Salford, does anyone know what these courses are like/what kind of reputation they have in the industry etc,
Thankyou for any info you can give me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok just got a date for GSA foundation - 2 weeks on friday! :s-smilie:
I need 3 MT songs, 2 modern monologues, 1 classical monologue, and to dance - i have ballet shoes but not jazz trainers and they ask you to bring both and i also don't have any 'dance wear' - HELP! WHAT SHOULD I BUY TO WEAR THERE???
Original post by Shonasheep
Didn't get into drama school this year, don't think I'm ready for that level of training at the moment but I have recieved offers for performance at Leeds met and drama & creative writing at Salford, does anyone know what these courses are like/what kind of reputation they have in the industry etc,
Thankyou for any info you can give me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was in the exact same situation, I auditioned for loads of drama schools and didn't even get a callback from one. But Salford is really good, they have such close links with Media City and the BBC and loads of theatres around Manchester. I'm going to Salford this year :smile:
Original post by the-green-faerie
I was in the exact same situation, I auditioned for loads of drama schools and didn't even get a callback from one. But Salford is really good, they have such close links with Media City and the BBC and loads of theatres around Manchester. I'm going to Salford this year :smile:

Ah glad to talk to someone in the same boat, thanks for replying! :smile: I only auditioned for 2 but that was enough I think
(LIPA-hated the audition, felt like walking out! and Birmingham school of Acting- Very nice atmosphere, really enjoyed the experience, but sadly not to be.)
I'm really leaning towards Salford, I've only ever heard good things & well done on your place :smile: which course are you studying?
Reply 237
What do I wear for a straight acting auditon ? It says "comfortable clothes , no jeans" . Does that mean like active wear ? I don't want to look like I'm going to a dance class or gym or something if everyone else wears normal clothes .

Reply 238
Original post by clorida
What do I wear for a straight acting auditon ? It says "comfortable clothes , no jeans" . Does that mean like active wear ? I don't want to look like I'm going to a dance class or gym or something if everyone else wears normal clothes .

Make sure you wear something you're comfortable in and makes you feel comfortable (I always find wearing clothes my character might wear helps. Like a skirt and leggings for a 'girly' character or whatever). They always say nothing too loud or garish (like large printed words on tops) because it's distracting and nothing revealing! I've been to auditions where there have been some low cut tops... not a great experience! Leggings are ideal, I once forgot this and had to chop the bottom off my tights, not fun.

Comfort and confidence is the main thing!

GOOD LUCK :smile:
Original post by Shonasheep
Ah glad to talk to someone in the same boat, thanks for replying! :smile: I only auditioned for 2 but that was enough I think
(LIPA-hated the audition, felt like walking out! and Birmingham school of Acting- Very nice atmosphere, really enjoyed the experience, but sadly not to be.)
I'm really leaning towards Salford, I've only ever heard good things & well done on your place :smile: which course are you studying?

I was exactly the same! Did my Conservatoire of Scotland and Man Met audition and realised it wasn't gonna happen! I'm gonna be doing Performance: Drama and Theatre :smile: which course did you apply for?

Quick Reply

Latest