The Student Room Group

Performing Arts/Drama/Acting/etc Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

I'm hoping to do Drama at UEA :h:
Reply 41
Hey guys.:wink: I have a question. FOR EXAMPLE: today I send my application form blah blah...within how many weeks I get the date for audition? Thanks xx
Just wondering if anyone is applying for Dance courses? or is this a discussion for drama/acting only?
Reply 43
Original post by christinefelkin
Just wondering if anyone is applying for Dance courses? or is this a discussion for drama/acting only?

Well, I'm applying for contemporary dance at London Contemporary and Trinity Laban, as well as musical theatre at London Studio Centre and Laine Theatre Arts, which are both dance based colleges.
Original post by ElleRose
Well, I'm applying for contemporary dance at London Contemporary and Trinity Laban, as well as musical theatre at London Studio Centre and Laine Theatre Arts, which are both dance based colleges.

I'm applying for the place, laban and laine too!
Reply 45
I'm applying for the place, laban and laine too!

Yay, finally, another dancer! I've been replying to all the performing arts threads I can find and you're the first person who's even responded, haha. Hey!
Yay, finally, another dancer! I've been replying to all the performing arts threads I can find and you're the first person who's even responded, haha. Hey!

YAY! I've been searching too! How are you finding it all?
Reply 47
YAY! I've been searching too! How are you finding it all?

I'm quite excited for auditions, although I haven't actually sent off any of the forms yet as I'm still working on statements etc. Bit nervous about the own choreography solo for The Place as My dancing school doesn't actually offer contemporary and it'll all have to be based on a few workshops I've done... And apart from that I am soooo nervous for the singing part of the Laine audition! Dancing I've been doing all my life, but singing's a bit more unfamiliar!
How about you? Do you know of The Place have actually opened their applications yet?
Hellooo :smile: I'm applying from Acting/Drama at Guildhall, GSA, Central, LAMDA, RADA, Exeter, Royal Holloway and Kent!
Reply 49
Hi everyone!
I'm a current BFA Acting student in the States, and I'm applying for postgraduate courses in Drama at RWCMD, RCS, and LAMDA. Top choice is RWCMD. Suggestions are welcome though!
Original post by monic
Hey guys.:wink: I have a question. FOR EXAMPLE: today I send my application form blah blah...within how many weeks I get the date for audition? Thanks xx

Depends on the school. Some schools will let you know 3 weeks prior to the audition.

Mountview, Oxford and LAMDA are pretty quick. Royal Scottish, Central and GSA take a while. :smile:
Original post by sophi94
Hello :smile: new here :smile:

was wondering what anyone's opinions of Drama schools vs uni are? I know Drama School is a much higher vocational course with from what i can telll better preperation for the industry, would like to know the pros and cons of each?

My main dilema with drama school is the sheer intesnity of it- suffering for your "art" and all, and honestly i would like to have a varied company (e.g friends on medicine courses etc) but then drama school seems your best chance of emplyoment as an actor and i truly love it- would hate to miss out of superb training on account of me having no backbone. so confused and stressed! :confused:

I personally think it depends what kind of person you are. The main different between university and drama school is whether you will create or not.

In university you will be given the opportunity to devise and create your own stuff as well as responding to a director. You will also get the chance to direct your own piece and influence other people. It will be hard, just in a different way!

Whereas drama school (depending on which you apply for) is more about learning how to respond to a director. It's alot more restricted with the exception of Central's Collaborative and Devised. You will do alot of text work in which you learn lines and perform, which is all just responding. You will probably get a chance to do a little devising but not much.

So i think it depends what kind of person you are. :smile: Does that help at all?
Anybody got their LAMDA audition dates yet?
Dont go to Mountview. Its the pits and has an appalling reputation within the theatre industry. Its little better than a Stage School.

PS. Any of you dancers considered Musical Theatre as an option? Guildford School of Acting (now part of Uni of Surrey) has one of the best Musical Theatre courses in Britain: http://www.conservatoire.org/home/index.php?dept=22&s=632&ss=634&id=634
I'm quite excited for auditions, although I haven't actually sent off any of the forms yet as I'm still working on statements etc. Bit nervous about the own choreography solo for The Place as My dancing school doesn't actually offer contemporary and it'll all have to be based on a few workshops I've done... And apart from that I am soooo nervous for the singing part of the Laine audition! Dancing I've been doing all my life, but singing's a bit more unfamiliar!
How about you? Do you know of The Place have actually opened their applications yet?

I'm getting nervous but looking forward to it! It's crazy that the one event you work to as a dancer is finally here. I'm sure you'll be fine! Look at some of your favorite companies for inspiration. If you're strong in other area's it wont matter about the other one :smile:

The place's I've heard open end of october.

have you booked any open days yet?
Reply 55
Hello everyone! :wink:
I'm applying for Musical Theatre at Central, Guildford and Trinity Laban.
Reply 56
I'm getting nervous but looking forward to it! It's crazy that the one event you work to as a dancer is finally here. I'm sure you'll be fine! Look at some of your favorite companies for inspiration. If you're strong in other area's it wont matter about the other one :smile:

The place's I've heard open end of october.

have you booked any open days yet?

Yeah, the Laban one's up and running, as is the Laine so hopefully I'll get those sent off soon. Haven't checked The Place in a while. :/ And LSC says applications will open in the autumn... I don't know how much more autumn they're waiting for!

Yep, I've got an open day at Laban booked in November, really looking forward to having a look around and watch a class!
Yeah, the Laban one's up and running, as is the Laine so hopefully I'll get those sent off soon. Haven't checked The Place in a while. :/ And LSC says applications will open in the autumn... I don't know how much more autumn they're waiting for!

Yep, I've got an open day at Laban booked in November, really looking forward to having a look around and watch a class!

I ordered a prospectus for the place on sept 1st... but had an e-mail to say I'd get it the end of the month.
I'm still not sure if I'll go for laine... but thanks for letting me know it's up and running :smile: Hows your personal statement for laban going?

Oo, so have I :smile: I'm going on the 19th :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by emiliebazza
Depends on the school. Some schools will let you know 3 weeks prior to the audition.

Mountview, Oxford and LAMDA are pretty quick. Royal Scottish, Central and GSA take a while. :smile:

Thank you xx
I'm just afraid that they will set up the audition for me before I'm even ready, so I'm wondering when to apply.
Reply 59
Hey guys,

Sent off my BSA form really scared about auditioning for the drama schools and sending off my UCAS form. Going to a preparation day for auditions at BSA so i hope it helps. Still struggling with monologues :s everything is either too old in age not my experience or american.

Good luck everyone else how are you lots feeling about auditioning?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest