The Student Room Group

Would these GCSEs stop me getting into Durham?

Hey, sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section of the forum but I couldn't think of a better place myself. Well anyway, I will be getting my GCSE results soon and I was wondering if the predictions I've made myself for a worst scenario would prevent me from studying Biology and Durham as long as my A levels were all good.

So, I think if it comes to the worst case I will get:

English Language: B
English Literature: B
Maths: A (Already have)
Chemistry: A
Biology: A
Physics: A
ICT: A
German: A
History: A
Geography: B
Religious Studies: A
Citizenship: A*(Already have)

Yeah so just if these GCSEs would make getting into Durham to study Biology hard. Thank you in advance guys.
Reply 1
They're better than my GCSEs, and I got in to study physics years ago. Your predicted A-Level results are far more important in terms of getting an offer.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Ben
They're better than my GCSEs, and I got in to study physics years ago. Your predicted A-Level results are far more important in terms of getting an offer.

Ah good that helps settle my mind a bit. Are the sciences not as competitive courses as others? How many years ago was this and do you know if it has changed since then? Sorry for so many questions :P
Reply 3
Original post by Michael's
Ah good that helps settle my mind a bit. Are the sciences not as competitive courses as others? How many years ago was this and do you know if it has changed since then? Sorry for so many questions :P

This'll be... 4 or 5 years ago now I think. Can't see why the policy would have changed significantly. As far as I know the sciences are pretty competitive, it's just GCSEs are a pretty bad indication of the quality of an application. Predicted A-Levels, Personal Statements and References are all much better indicators of an applicants quality and departments put a far higher emphasis on them.
Original post by Michael's

48% of applicants were made an offer for Biological Sciences for 2010 entry (the most recent I've found).

Next year's standard offer is AAA.

Make of that what you will!
Reply 5
You should be fine with those grades, I got in for this year with worse.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Thank you guys you have all be so helpful. Now I can enjoy my holiday before A LEVELS!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending