Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Windows 8 is ****.

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 15-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The most user unfriendly OS I have ever used. And they've incorporated ****ing bing into every single app. It's driving me up the wall because bing is ****. It's about the same speed as windows 7. It made for touch screen and tablets by the looks of stuff so if you have a desktop or laptop don't get it. It's just so awkward to use. I've used it for a couple of hours and maybe I'll get use to it but I doubt it.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Finally someone who agrees with me i downloaded it a couple of weeks back, it last the grand total of 3 hours before getting swiftly removed again ... complete ****e! but then again can we really expect anything more from Microsoft and their bunch of poo slinging monkeys -_- :rolleyes:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Finally someone who agrees with me i downloaded it a couple of weeks back, it last the grand total of 3 hours before getting swiftly removed again ... complete ****e! but then again can we really expect anything more from Microsoft and their bunch of poo slinging monkeys -_- :rolleyes:
    When I say a couple of hours that's including installation and trying to set up my preferences to my liking for example changing the news feed to bbc instead of bing. I still haven't succeeded and the non Microsoft apps look terrible as it just doesn't suit the windows 8 theme.

I've started setting it up at 12 so it's lasted 3 and a half hours and it's going.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    An answer to all your problems: Apple

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recurring500)

Yeah and paying 5 times the price. Windows 7 is brilliant so just stick with it, also apparently there is an option in Windows 8 to convert it into pretty much Windows 7.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momanium)
    Yeah and paying 5 times the price. Windows 7 is brilliant so just stick with it, also apparently there is an option in Windows 8 to convert it into pretty much Windows 7.
    OSX lion cost £21.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by . . .)
    OSX lion cost £21.
    I assume he was referring to an actual Mac rather than just this year's OS update.

EDIT: I'm slightly confused as to why this post is getting rep in either direction, all I was doing was clarifying what the other poster meant =P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

The best OS is Windows XP, sadly no longer available. Copying Apple (badly, and for the wrong platform) seems to be what has caused this mess.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I made the switch to Windows 7 recently as it's the OS on my laptop, and I still very much prefer Windows XP. I know Windows 7 is more developed and capable, but just from a purely ease-of-use view, I'm so much more comfortable with XP. Windows 8 doesn't look much better from what I've seen.

Be interesting to see how desktop operating systems develop in a few years time with everything so mobile-orientated these days.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    After a bit of getting used to I don't really mind W8. I wouldn't say it was necessary for anyone to update to it from 7 simply because the biggest benefit it brings is apps, and who needs apps when you've a keyboard and a web browser? That said I've found it to be very stable and fast and that I can use it similarly to 7 with the addition of apps. Not being able to close an app from within irritates me, as does the faffing about with having to mouse to the corners of the screen but overall I've found it quite easy to adjust to.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndroidLight)
    To be honest, I made the switch to Windows 7 recently as it's the OS on my laptop, and I still very much prefer Windows XP. I know Windows 7 is more developed and capable, but just from a purely ease-of-use view, I'm so much more comfortable with XP.
    And security, and functionality...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Nope, GNU/Linux

I have tried the original Developer Preview, Consumer Preview and the current Release Preview. I haven't really been able to work any of them properly as the UI is 100% designed for a touch screen, no consideration for us real people who would want to use it on computers. On several occasions I have spent about 10 minutes just trying to find simple things like the control panel and shutdown button. Another thing that really annoys me is the minimum resolution for Metro apps, this renders the Metro UI more or less useless on computers with small screens like netbooks as you cannot use the Metro apps. I guess this will be Steve Ballmer's first failure.

I do like some of the features that will be coming in Windows 8 such as the virtual drives where you can make stuff like virtual raid arrays but I will not be purchasing something I would hate using just to gain a few features.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoringComputerGuy)
    And security, and functionality...
    Ah, I phrased that awkwardly, the but part was applied to XP not Windows 7.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndroidLight)
    Ah, I phrased that awkwardly, the but part was applied to XP not Windows 7.
    Ah I see, I misinterpreted that. Apologies.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    U mad bro?

We all know windows 8 is ****... I'm not upgrading even if it was free!

Not that it will be.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    U mad bro?

Not that it will be.
    Yes I am.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    U mad bro?

Not that it will be.
    Is for me, MSDNAA

I will most likely upgrade, but then turn off as much as the Metro **** as I can, as it is meant to be better for things such as boot times and so-on; plus I am hoping we get the enterprise edition on MSDNAA, and then I can use Windows-To-Go.

x
    Jealous much? Negging me wouldn't change anything
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    People will warm to it if they plan on owning a windows tablet. Windows 8 is more of a hybrid OS to fill a gap, than the successor to 7.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem I see, is that they are making it too much geared towards home users, on portable devices such as tablets and so-on; and so what is going to happen is that there will be another split such as Windows 2000 professional and Windows Me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    95-Fail
    98-Good
    ME-Fail
    XP-Good
    Vista-Fail
    Windows 7- Good

The cycle continues...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.