Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Windows 8 is ****.

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by . . .)
    OSX lion cost £21.
    That doesn't include the massively overinflated prices you have to pay for a mac.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It looks like Microsoft tried to copy Apple by bringing the desktop OS and mobile OS closer together, and ended up getting it wrong.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt2k8)
    It looks like Microsoft tried to copy Apple by bringing the desktop OS and mobile OS closer together, and ended up getting it wrong.
    Windows RT hasn't even been released yet, so how can you be so sure?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not gonna try Windows 8. I saw some screenshots of it on an online website and the layout looks absolutely awful. Remember Windows, you are Windows, and you NEVER will be Apple.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People that say windows XP is easier and user friendly haven't given windows 7 a proper try. Windows 8 should not have the metro UI. Windows RT should have metro UI

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyhey922)
    95-Fail
    98-Good
    ME-Fail
    XP-Good
    Vista-Fail
    Windows 7- Good

The cycle continues...
    Microsoft surface - good

Your argument is flawed
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    I'm not gonna try Windows 8. I saw some screenshots of it on an online website and the layout looks absolutely awful. Remember Windows, you are Windows, and you NEVER will be Apple.
    You're right Microsoft are not apple, they are doing the opposite. Apple fixed the tablet market by realising tablet is closer to a phone than a Desktop or laptop. So putting ios on rather than whatever was on the I mac was right on the mark. Windows 7 is one of Microsoft Sucess stories. Using the Metro interface on a phone while different to Android and IOS, I feel it works pretty well. But put them together and you get Windows 8. Trying to use the metro interface with a mouse is painful. Trying to do the usual computer stuff with a touch screen is awkward.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I haven't looked into this much at all, but I do take interest in how you say they've implemented bing into everything somehow. I think bing is a load of rubbish. Inexperienced computer users use BING to quickly get to google! It's like repeating a bad joke. Bing is a load of rubbish, it's better just to ditch it rather than revive a dead cause.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    Microsoft surface - good

Your argument is flawed
    The Metro interface works for tablets, when you start trying to go into the desktop with a touch screen I found it pretty awkward.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of windows 8 for tablets and touch screens, for PCs its a worthless update.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyhey922)
    That doesn't include the massively overinflated prices you have to pay for a mac.
    If the alternative is windows 8 I don't mind paying a massively overinflated price and before anybody recommends linux that is also pretty complicated I tried ubuntu out for a while and although I like most of the freeware downloading and installing some programmes is very difficult and time consuming and ended up me googling it to find out how. I prefer an OS which has an ease of use.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll be giving this one a miss as I did with Vista. If Windows 9 continues down this path of tablet interface for desktop, then I will consider switching to Linux for most everyday stuff, and only using Windows for Gaming.
    • 66 followers

ReputationRep:
    Microsoft surface - good

Your argument is flawed
    Surface isn't an OS

However, heyhey did miss out 2000 :hmmm:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Surface isn't an OS

However, heyhey did miss out 2000 :hmmm:
    He he*

I clearly meant MS 2000
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DynamicSyngery)
    The best OS is Windows XP, sadly no longer available. Copying Apple (badly, and for the wrong platform) seems to be what has caused this mess.
    couldn't agree more... will be sticking with XP til the bitter end
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't it expected to be ****?

Win 3 - Bad
    Win 3.1 - Good
    Windows 95- Bad.
    Windows 98- good
    Windows ME- BAD
    Windows 2000- Good.
    Windows XP- Bad.
    Windows XP SP2- Good.
    Windows Vista- Bad.
    Windows 7- Good.
    Windows 8 - ....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DynamicSyngery)
    The best OS is Ubuntu Linux, still available. Microsoft Copying Apple (badly, and for the wrong platform) seems to be what has caused this mess. Thats why linux is the master race of OS's
    Fixed.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    He he*

I clearly meant MS 2000
    *HeyHey - he was referring to the poster.

Yes, Microsoft Surface and Windows 2000 are very easily confused, how could we have thought that you meant anything other than Windows 2000 when you said Microsoft Surface?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Windows 8 is just unbearable. It is the only time where I have actually got lost around a desktop in my 13 years of using computers. Even the Program Manager shell in the Windows 3.x series was much easier than Metro.

There is absoloutly no need for the Metro interface to be added to desktop computers and laptops. It was designed for touch screen systems, not for pc's using keyboards and mice. Microsoft even advised that people use the keyboard if they haven't got touch screen, which kind of defeats how Metro is supposed to work.

If all subsequent releases of Windows are like this, I'm just going to stick with Windows 7 until support ends in 2020, after which I may switch to Linux (if that hasn't gone **** as well).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2468_James_Maaay)
    Windows 8 is just unbearable. It is the only time where I have actually got lost around a desktop in my 13 years of using computers. Even the Program Manager shell in the Windows 3.x series was much easier than Metro.

There is absoloutly no need for the Metro interface to be added to desktop computers and laptops. It was designed for touch screen systems, not for pc's using keyboards and mice. Microsoft even advised that people use the keyboard if they haven't got touch screen, which kind of defeats how Metro is supposed to work.

If all subsequent releases of Windows are like this, I'm just going to stick with Windows 7 until support ends in 2020, after which I may switch to Linux (if that hasn't gone **** as well).
    Exactly; Apple has started some of the features of iOS that make sense to be on a full size computer and put them into OS X; Microsoft tried to copy this but did it with features that are ridiculous to do this with.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.