Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why do we have black history month and not white history month?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topcat19)
    Dr Daniel Hale Williams would not make the cut, you know how small minded and parochial the current uk history curriculum and the future Govian one will be?
    Foriegners history month would be more fun which ironically in my school in forest hill, black history always was, it was always black americans.
    Your school is in Forest Hill? Is it SFH?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    Your school is in Forest Hill? Is it SFH?
    It was forest hill boys school. I finished in 2008 mind.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why it was created and I guess it's good to show the ignorant racist kids how much black people have contributed to society.

However, I don't see why we can't just teach kids about important figures in history irrelevant of their race, all year round. Why do we need a month JUST for black people.. As a white person I don't find it offensive or racist or anything but I think if I was black I'd get a bit annoyed with it and find it patronising. It's like 'yeah.. nelson mandela was black.. we know he's black.. is he not important enough to get a slot in our regular history lessons?'

Also... What about asian people? So much of our stuff comes from places like China, Thailand, India, Japan etc. and they suffer quite a lot of racism over here too. Should we have a month where we celebrate the asian contributions?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron_xyz)
    What... Mother Theresa is black? She was Albanian, unless theres another Teresa I don't know about.
    Well ... this is awkward and embarrassing ... I meant Mary Seacole haha. Obviously learnt so much about her I forgot her name :lol: Ps I love how many people have replied to that and you're the only one who even picked up on it - yah Mother Teresa was from Calcutta
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because people think that the teaching of history on specific peoples can help retort uneducated opinions such as racism.

The problem is that it's selective and not all people that have differing amounts of melanin or which are genetically "black" or "white" etc are not the same people at all.

History should be taught in a broader range, it will help clear the mystification of racism, not a selective preaching and misuse of ethnicity.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topcat19)
    It was forest hill boys school. I finished in 2008 mind.
    Ohhh Cool, Yea I went there too, but just finished last year
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Because white people and their history have not been consistently marginalised throughout the ages, and the same cannot be said for black people and their history.

I think its unfair that there is a black history month and not an brown history month. everyone knows black people had trouble in their history, but so did indian people. Indian people were also marginalised and had their country divided and taken from them. There was a constant struggle in india until partition. Why isnt there a brown history month ever mentioned??! Considering India contains a sixth of the worlds population, i think its absurd
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    its funny how much of black history isn't actually black history -- take cleopatra for example, she was not black.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Black history month was started with good intentions, but the only way to truely represent everyone equally is to scrap it all and simply teach history. History to do with all backgrounds, and whatever is relevent to school curriculum at the time.
    Naturally, every country will teach history that is a little more relevent to how THEIR country was shaped mostly, but this shoudln't be biased in race. Black history month is unecessary now, it should just be part of the every day history.
    True, it is stupid.

To assume that someone from Somalia, someone from South Africa and someone from Jamaica all have coherent histories is insulting to the respective nationalities they are a member of.

Teach somalian history, teach kenyan history, teach sudanese history - teach the history of any nation/culture/peoples: but don't assume that somehow because you share a similar skin pigment, that you're histories are identical. I'd be offended.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ardug)
    I think its unfair that there is a black history month and not an brown history month. everyone knows black people had trouble in their history, but so did indian people. Indian people were also marginalised and had their country divided and taken from them. There was a constant struggle in india until partition. Why isnt there a brown history month ever mentioned??! Considering India contains a sixth of the worlds population, i think its absurd
    Lol, India's History comes under Black History Month, it's just because it's called 'Black History Month', it doesn't segregate other races from celebrating in whatever. In fact, it doesn't stop white people partaking and celebrating in whatever - if you think about it rationally, it's only a term, why is that so significant?

It's down to personal choice, and if you wanted to, you could celebrate white history every day.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohgodalevels)
    In my opinion Black History Month is actually kind of racist as there isn't a White History Month. To be honest major achievements and discoveries have been made by both races.

Tell me what you think?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Indeed, "Black History Month" is racist.... but to black people!

Haven't you heard Stormfront's slogan? "Every month is White History Month".

So, OP, celebrate every month! :rolleyes:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    We have a White History 11 Months...
    Ergo, "Black History Month" is actually racist...to black people?

"Here, little black people - you can have a month where you can learn what little things little black people like you did in your little past."

That Morgan Freeman video puts it into perspective. Relegating history of a skin colour to a month ::rolleyes: - seems silly now doesn't it?

Might as well have a Jewish history month. Have a brown history month. Have a yellow history month.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JediArron)
    Lol, India's History comes under Black History Month, it's just because it's called 'Black History Month', it doesn't segregate other races from celebrating in whatever. In fact, it doesn't stop white people partaking and celebrating in whatever - if you think about it rationally, it's only a term, why is that so significant?It's down to personal choice, and if you wanted to, you could celebrate white history every day.
    I have never witnessed indias history being celebrated during black history month, andin fact it is only black african peoples history that i have ever seen being celebrated during bhm. Lol, show me and example of india's history being celebrated as part of black history month ? It isnt.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ardug)
    I have never witnessed indias history being celebrated during black history month, andin fact it is only black african peoples history that i have ever seen being celebrated during bhm. Lol, show me and example of india's history being celebrated as part of black history month ? It isnt.
    At my school we had a powerpoint in tutorial. Our tutor showed us and briefly described some black people such as martin luther king, and some other 'coloured' people such as Ghandi, ergo you're wrong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    At my school we had a powerpoint in tutorial. Our tutor showed us and briefly described some black people such as martin luther king, and some other 'coloured' people such as Ghandi, ergo you're wrong.
    Okay im not sure you are getting my point and are jumping the gun and being overly defensive which i find quite strange. My point is simply that you may have been witness to india's history being part of bhm, but your classroom does not equate to the rest of the world. Also, i find the term 'coloured' quite offensive, please dont use such language to describe non-white ethnic groups.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. someones just stepped off the apartheid-loving south african bus in the 1980s.

For someone who's talking about their experiences of Black history, you don't seem to be educated enough to avoid cringeworthy terminology.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Hmmm. someones just stepped off the apartheid-loving south african bus in the 1980s.

For someone who's talking about their experiences of Black history, you don't seem to be educated enough to avoid cringeworthy terminology.
    Ergo I used quotation marks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Because white people and their history have not been consistently marginalised throughout the ages, and the same cannot be said for black people and their history.
    Yeah but we cant factor in our ancestors actions.
    I have no say in what my ancestors did so why try to resolve their problems?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by missygeorgia
    Really? So there were no white slaves? (Do only blacks make valid slaves) Or white opposed? Whites murdered by the millions in Soviet Russia? (Do Only Jews make valuable murder victims?) or white takeovers and oppression of white countries? Or non-white attacks on non-white countries.

I suppose all the evil in history is from whites and therefore we need to do something about this "white problem". And all the people on Stormfront are "nutters" because they like white group identification (even though all other group identification is good, and Stormfront present more articulated better arguments than those on this supposedly academic forum).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toothfairy123)
    And all the people on Stormfront are "nutters" because they like white group identification
    Stormfront is a website for literal neo-Nazi white supremacists, it's not for milquetoast white kids who think The Black Eyed Peas are racist because they're not called The White Eyed Peas.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2013
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.