Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Laptop vs Tablet

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm heading into sixth form in sept and my birthday is in oct.
    I wanted a laptop but a friend of mine said tablets were better and would soon take over laptops.
    So what should I get?
    What are the benefits and drawbacks to each?
    Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Tablets are not yet replacements for laptops.

at the moment they are little more than toys.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm i guess all i can say is tablets are sexier...lol.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    iOS and Android tablets still can't rival the functionality of fully fledged laptops, I wouldn't recommend having one as your primary device yet.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PKMN TRN JAM)
    Hey guys,
    I wanted a laptop but a friend of mine said tablets were better and would soon take over laptops.
    So what should I get?
    Thanks
    Don't take advice from your friend :facepalm:

In terms of power, spec laptops>tablet, not to mention far better value for price.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    IMHO, for everything, a laptop is better, especially if it has reasonably high specs and a dedicated graphics card. You'll want to maim puppies after typing on a tablet for any prolonged period of time or after doing anything productivity-related on it. The video and entertainment options are served equally well if not better on a laptop since there are a wider range of file formats available and there will be far more HDD space. The only thing that you might want a tablet for are the app stores, but even there laptops have thousands or more of their own applications for free. If you like gaming, then light PC gaming ranges everything from flash games which are essentially the same as app store games to hardcore strategy titles and RPGs - options only widened if you get a laptop with dedicated graphics.

Tablets are nice gadgets but laptops are eminently more practical.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tablets are more for content users and casual experience, while computers are for content creators, they are better for practical usage. If I were you, I'll choose laptop.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your use, for making notes and things a tablet is much easier and more functional.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Laptop for sure!

Some people in my 6th form got ipads and they're a bit pointless at that level because you can't type notes fast enough in class, and there are always problems opening particular files and things. when you're trying to do an assignment it's just not good enough. and then when you try to send the files to your teacher it sometimes doesn't open on their computer - nightmare.

if you want something small and light, then get a notebook because they're much better value for money than a tablet. also think about if you're going to uni - you might not want to carry around a big laptop as they're quite heavy; a notebook might be good. if you really want the tablet experience, you can get touchscreen laptops!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    So what should I get?
    Thanks
    you could get a laptop/tablet with an atachible keyboard
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have both.

Before I got a tablet, I thought they were pointless toys. But I bought a Motorola Xoom for £200 and added the bluetooth keyboard and mouse for £25.

It's as useful as a netbook (I used to own one but sorta stepped on it...) and ideal for writing and note-taking. I'm a journalist and travel a lot, often on a motorbike or a plane, so having a tiny, lightweight computer (which it is, even with the keyboard) which is still functional, has a great battery life and packs plenty of punch for entertainment in hotels etc, is a lifesaver.

That said, as soon as I'm home I dig out my big laptop or go on my desktop.

If it's your only or main device, you need a full laptop. Although when Microsoft release their Surface tablet with Windows 8, that may change...
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by userofTSR)
    you could get a laptop/tablet with an atachible keyboard
    That doesn't address the key issue tablets have though, a lack of functionality compared to a proper computer OS.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    That doesn't address the key issue tablets have though, a lack of functionality compared to a proper computer OS.
    cool, i dont realy know that much about these things just that one of my friends was raving about hers
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    So what should I get?
    Thanks
    Just leave out all other thoughts for the moment and think about one single thing:

Imagine typing long e-mails, essays or whatever on a tablet.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What do you want it for is surely one of the first questions you should ask?
    If you were doing lots of writing, e-mails, English course, fully fledged games or whatever then a Laptop
    But if you want it for amusement, size and quick internet browsing then a tablet would be better
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    if it would be a secondary device maybe a tablet but if its to be your main "computer" a laptop no question
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks a bunch guys, any specific brands of laptop , preferably stocked by tesco so my mum gets her clubcard points

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830i
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Budget?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.