The Student Room Group

Primark thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hatemylifelol
I started work at one of the major primark stores in the uk, it's massive. I'm only 16 years old and this is my first ever job. I only work 4 hours a week from 4-8 but I hate it as I was put on Customer Services and for the last hour and a half I'm down to work on my own as there is no one else. 6 people have quit since March and they have not replaced anyone, I have social anxiety and I hate doing tannoys and not confident with the phones. They expect me to do the closing tannoys every 5 minutes when I have a massive queue of people!! It's so frustrating, I'm not sure why they put the 16 year old with no experience on the customer service desk when there were so many other people on my induction that could have worked it and were better suited. I've only done 3 shifts and so far and I feel really bad for asking to be transferred to another department as the managers and staff are so nice. Should I just ask to change my shift times to before closing? It's quite difficult to get home at such a late time and I don't feel very safe.
I'm just concerned that it will look bad and concerned that will say no as they don't have many people to work on customer services. Who do I talk to/what is the procedure for changing shifts?

Mind if I ask what store? Better off asking sooner rather than later! Explain to them, they'll understand, you're only young! They might ask you to write a letter to HR
Original post by KingK16
£4.87 (london)

Went to interview and can confirm this. It's soo low! At my last job, I got paid £6.35

Should I take the job since its soo flexible and its close to home yet its low-pay or should I just wait for a better offer? This is just too low to accept. I'm looking for £6+ or at minimum £5.50
Original post by UnknownDude
Went to interview and can confirm this. It's soo low! At my last job, I got paid £6.35

Should I take the job since its soo flexible and its close to home yet its low-pay or should I just wait for a better offer? This is just too low to accept. I'm looking for £6+ or at minimum £5.50

I get paid 6.30 for under 18 at my store in london. Depends on the location tbh
Original post by UnknownDude

Just accept the offer, and look for another one while still working at Primark. That way you can earn and gain experience too.
I want to apply to a Christmas position for 15 hours at the weekend as it'll only be for a few weeks before Christmas so shouldn't interfere too much with uni but next week I won't be here (going home to visit) so if I get an interview can I just ask them to reschedule it? How long after applying did you hear back?:biggrin:
you all moaning about 5 hour shifts or 19 hours on a weekend :P i work there monday to friday - 12 - 9 30pm and never get let out on time it takes me 2 hours to travel there and back to, ive had days where i have been on tills for 8 hours and told to do returns all day and ive only been there a month, but i get on with it, it;s a job :smile: and the people in general are all lovely. its better then being unemployed and visiting food banks which is where i was at a few months ago. you should all count yourselfs lucky that you have a job at all :smile: x
Original post by icecreampie
you all moaning about 5 hour shifts or 19 hours on a weekend :P i work there monday to friday - 12 - 9 30pm and never get let out on time it takes me 2 hours to travel there and back to, ive had days where i have been on tills for 8 hours and told to do returns all day and ive only been there a month, but i get on with it, it;s a job :smile: and the people in general are all lovely. its better then being unemployed and visiting food banks which is where i was at a few months ago. you should all count yourselfs lucky that you have a job at all :smile: x

You'll get tired of it soon, at around the 4 months mark is when I started to not enjoy going to work 5 days in a row. But good for you. I do 10-6pm on tills when I do overtime too, so tiring and boring.
Original post by xgabrielc
You'll get tired of it soon, at around the 4 months mark is when I started to not enjoy going to work 5 days in a row. But good for you. I do 10-6pm on tills when I do overtime too, so tiring and boring.

True that, cuz the job is so repetitive and top of that the customers makes it worst (animals)
I've been put on the roster to do 7am-6pm on a Saturday but since I'm 17 I was told that I can only do a max of 8 hours a day and I've been put on for way more than 8 hours. Who do I tell about this?
I've been put on the roster to do 7am-6pm on a Saturday but since I'm 17 I was told that I can only do a max of 8 hours a day and I've been put on for way more than 8 hours. Who do I tell about this??
I've been put on the roster to do 7am-6pm on a Saturday but since I'm 17 I was told that I can only do a max of 8 hours a day and I've been put on for way more than 8 hours. Who do I tell about this???
Original post by zhussain98
I've been put on the roster to do 7am-6pm on a Saturday but since I'm 17 I was told that I can only do a max of 8 hours a day and I've been put on for way more than 8 hours. Who do I tell about this???

Speak to your line manager asap
Original post by klika89
Speak to your line manager asap

I have no idea who my line manager is. Every week I'm put in different places with different people and different managers. On my contract it says first floor tills so idk
When I clock in there's this points thing that comes up. Anyone know what that's for?
Original post by zhussain98
When I clock in there's this points thing that comes up. Anyone know what that's for?

People say it's for the system
Original post by klika89
People say it's for the system

what system?
Hi I've been auto-rostered for a day which I can't do. I did say on my induction that i am not available during that time but everyone has been auto rostered for that. I asked my supervisor what I should do about it and she told me to write a letter to one of the managers but I have no idea what to put in it. Need to give the letter in tomorrow. Can anyone help please?
Does anyone know what the conduct/dismissal situation is? Like how many warnings you have before you're sacked? I was sick today and rang up ten minutes before and they weren't happy so i'm expecting a warning next time I go in.
Would someone who works at Primark be able to help me? I was wondering if anyone knew the cut off point for payday.

I got paid today (27th) and I wanted to work out the last shift I got paid for that is included this month, I worked a shift yesterday (26th) and I'm guessing that isn't included?
Original post by angrybun
Would someone who works at Primark be able to help me? I was wondering if anyone knew the cut off point for payday.

I got paid today (27th) and I wanted to work out the last shift I got paid for that is included this month, I worked a shift yesterday (26th) and I'm guessing that isn't included?

cut off day was the 21st

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending