Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Olympics Tennis

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Brazilians are causing all sorts of problems for the Americans.

Melo/Soares lead Isner/Roddick by 1 set to 0 and Bellucci/Sa are 1 set all vs the Bryan bros!

Murray/Murray are 1 set all vs Melzer/Peya. Really hope they can do well in the doubles as I think it's so unpredictable, anyone could grab a medal!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    All this mention of Murray, but are we going to be seeing Marray anywhere in the Olympics?

Also, is it me or...is Centre court utterly EMPTY? No. 1 and 2 courts earlier were the same! How come so few people are there? I couldn't get a single ticket to the entire tournament! Would happily take those empty front row seats!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mr Z)
    All this mention of Murray, but are we going to be seeing Marray anywhere in the Olympics?

Also, is it me or...is Centre court utterly EMPTY? No. 1 and 2 courts earlier were the same! How come so few people are there? I couldn't get a single ticket to the entire tournament! Would happily take those empty front row seats!
    I heard that the capacity has been reduced for some reason. That could explain the empty seats. Maybe.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:

They're investigating. I was surprised too, expected a packed house.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19028979
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RtGOAT)
    I heard that the capacity has been reduced for some reason. That could explain the empty seats. Maybe.
    If this is true, it would be the dumbest thing ever lol. They need the cash flow that audiences generate...to prevent people from paying you money is a bad business model
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sadly not.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...n-7923517.html

Also confirmed by the fact he is not listed on the Olympic site or on the 'Tennis at the 2012 Olympics' Wikipedia article
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    If this is true, it would be the dumbest thing ever lol. They need the cash flow that audiences generate...to prevent people from paying you money is a bad business model
    A commentator during the Keothavong game said it was reduced to 14000 because of some extra cameras. At first I thought I'd misheard but now... :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agree with those querying as to why so many seats were empty.
    I applied for the tennis and was unsuccessful. I'd happily take tickets to attend!
    My question is though, where are the people who were allocated the tickets? Seriously, they probably can't reallocate tickets as they assume people will turn up but clearly people haven't been!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If Andy Murray played Jamie Murray, what would the score be?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRS-T)
    6-0, 6-0, 6-0. Thats assuming Andy doesnt go easy on him.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRS-T)
    Andy would win, but I'm not sure if Jamie could get a set. I guess it would depend on the circumstances of the match (like the surface).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was at Murray brothers' doubles match today, and there was a great atmosphere (as you'd expect ) and it a really tight match that could have gone either way. It's a shame for Team GB that they didn't win but I don't think they could have progressed to far anyway :dontknow:

Well we knew there would be some upsets in this tournament but but I'm not sure if Berdych losing is a big surprise, he seems to be really out of form

Rain forecast for tomorrow
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurricaneDominic)
    Agree with those querying as to why so many seats were empty.
    I applied for the tennis and was unsuccessful. I'd happily take tickets to attend!
    My question is though, where are the people who were allocated the tickets? Seriously, they probably can't reallocate tickets as they assume people will turn up but clearly people haven't been!
    Probably allocated to olympic corporate guests or whatever they're called, except those people had tickets to see another event on at the same time.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    think marray should have got the nod ahead of andy to play with jamie since he is a doubles spec.

whats everyones predictions for mixed doubles teams? i think murray/robson and watson/hutchins will play together
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhuntley93)
    think marray should have got the nod ahead of andy to play with jamie since he is a doubles spec.
    Or Marray and Delgado would have been fairly formidable too. Delgado and Skupski have been playing together recently but I think their partnership was struck too recently to have been considered for the Olympics.

I think the reason why Marray wasn't picked was because he's recently been partnering with foreign players like Nielsen and Brown which obviously wouldn't be valid here. Still seems like a weak reason and I'm sure he'd be picked for Davis Cup so why not Olympics? That's what puzzles me
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dagnabbit)
    Or Marray and Delgado would have been fairly formidable too. Delgado and Skupski have been playing together recently but I think their partnership was struck too recently to have been considered for the Olympics.

I think the reason why Marray wasn't picked was because he's recently been partnering with foreign players like Nielsen and Brown which obviously wouldn't be valid here. Still seems like a weak reason and I'm sure he'd be picked for Davis Cup so why not Olympics? That's what puzzles me
    i'm not sure he would be picked for davis cup i think we'd keep the tried and tested formula of hutchins and fleming going unless there was an injury then delgado/skupski would be next on my list since they play together reguarly. (oh they are in the final of the atp 250 at L.A and were runners up in eastbourn
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dagnabbit)

I think it's mainly because Marray was really languishing down the bottom of the rankings pre-Wimbledon. The decisions as to the doubles teams to enter would have been made long before because they have to be sent to the IOC long in advance, and back then Marray didn't look like a strong player.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    6-0, 6-0, 6-0. Thats assuming Andy doesnt go easy on him.
    Why are you being so negative on Jamie. After all he is the only Wimbledon and grand slam champion of the two. So he desrves our respect even if you don't like his specialty.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkeevin)
    Why are you being so negative on Jamie. After all he is the only Wimbledon and grand slam champion of the two. So he desrves our respect even if you don't like his specialty.
    World number 4 vs world number (does he even have one?) is going to be one way traffic. If they play each other they'd be doing it in singles, not doubles.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    World number 4 vs world number (does he even have one?) is going to be one way traffic. If they play each other they'd be doing it in singles, not doubles.
    I understand and kinda agree with you guys. It would no doubt be hard for Jamie to win a game or two against Andy. However Jamie will still be remembered as a wimbledon champion in the history books while Andy at the moment is a former world No 2/runner up which is not as prestigious. Doubles/mixed doubles players levels should not be compared with singles players just like men's tennis levels should not be compared with the women.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 8, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.