Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Olympics Tennis

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alkain1607)
    I have no doubt that Fed will be favourite if the roof is closed- I don't think it's a fair assessment to call Fed the better player on that match (I realise you don't do that- just speaking generally). I think if Nadal played like he did in 2010, 2008 or 2011- then I'd be willing to say that he'd win against Fed. If he plays like he has been on grass this year, then I'd have to go with Fed- I think Fed'll be retiring soon. Maybe Nadal will too because of his knee- then tennis will have lost two good players....
    How can you say Federer will retire soon when he's just regained the number one ranking? IMO he'll play as long as he possibly can as long as he's reaching the business ends of Slams just as Agassi did. Possibly another 2 or 3 years left in him. As for Nadal, if the tendonitis continues to threaten him, he may retire before he's 30 which would be a massive shame for tennis.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have no doubt that Fed will be favourite if the roof is closed- I don't think it's a fair assessment to call Fed the better player on that match (I realise you don't do that- just speaking generally). I think if Nadal played like he did in 2010, 2008 or 2011- then I'd be willing to say that he'd win against Fed. If he plays like he has been on grass this year, then I'd have to go with Fed- I think Fed'll be retiring soon. Maybe Nadal will too because of his knee- then tennis will have lost two good players....
    What do you mean by soon? 1 or 2 years? One of the commentators at Roland Garros said he was talking about Rio 2016. I think he's got a few years yet. Although I think he checked off one of his life goals last week when he won a slam in front of his kids.

I'll withhold my prediction for the Olympics until the draw is made.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gold - Federer
    Silver - Djokovic
    Bronze - Murray/Tsonga/Nadal if he's recovered.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think with Nadals injury, Djokovic not the player he was last year and reverting back to the pre 2011 Djokovic plus the fact Federer is on a high playing unbelievably and also is so desperate for the gold. Also factoring that Murray is playing his best on grass its the first time he has lost a GS final with lendl as his coach so no slumps like with AO expected and he has matured a lot my predictions(probably completely wrong)
    Federer(Gold)
    Murray(Silver)
    Nadal(Bronze)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    2 Golds for GB.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, "Come on Andy" all over again
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    The draw is needed to make a full prediction but currently I'm choosing:

Gold: Murray
    Silver: Federer
    Bronze: Nadal/Djokovic.

I still feel that Murray can play as good as anyone on an outdoor grass court so I'm going for a revenge win in the final against Federer.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sc0307)
    How can you say Federer will retire soon when he's just regained the number one ranking? IMO he'll play as long as he possibly can as long as he's reaching the business ends of Slams just as Agassi did. Possibly another 2 or 3 years left in him. As for Nadal, if the tendonitis continues to threaten him, he may retire before he's 30 which would be a massive shame for tennis.
    I don't know just some of the things he said during his victory speech and the fact that his kids were there to watch that match. If I was Fed I'd go out with a bang, and I figured having regained number 1 ranking now would be the time to do it. Especially as I think he'll lost it come the US to Djokovic or maybe even Nadal (although I find the scoring system really confusing so I don't know whether it's possible for him to lose it to Nadal in the US open).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think Federer wants it very badly.

Gold- Federer
    Silver- Djokovic
    Bronze- Nadal
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Gold - Federer

Silver - Djokovic or Nadal if he's recovered

Bronze - Murray
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't know just some of the things he said during his victory speech and the fact that his kids were there to watch that match. If I was Fed I'd go out with a bang, and I figured having regained number 1 ranking now would be the time to do it. Especially as I think he'll lost it come the US to Djokovic or maybe even Nadal (although I find the scoring system really confusing so I don't know whether it's possible for him to lose it to Nadal in the US open).
    I think he will maintain the ranking to the USO as he only reached the 3R of last year's Montreal masters and QF of the Cincinnati masters so he has very few points to defend. He can meet Nadal or Murray in the semis depending on the draw and will only meet Djokovic in the final if the rankings stay as they are. Is that what you mean with the scoring system?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Let's not forget about the other GB players! Heather Watson has just won her first WTA doubles title, so her and Laura Robson may have a decent run. (That's not to say they will win any medals but still...)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Beijing were the first Olympics where tennis was taken very seriously by all the competitors. Gonzalez won Silver in the 2008 games and I will have to predict a shock in the event again. It's really hard to pick without seeing the draw and knowing whether Nadal is playing or not. I'll go for:

Gold - Murray (I know it's a LONG shot)
    Silver - Djokovic
    Bronze - Federer

I think it would be better for Murray to face Federer in the semi's as I think they're so much less pressure than major finals. Djokovic isn't as invincible as he appeared in 2011 so I think he'll slip up again but I wouldn't be surprised if he bounces back from Wimbledon and wins the event.

Others: Tsonga, Ferrer, Del Potro
    Potential Shocks: Isner, Nishikori, Raonic

On the women's side:

Gold - Serena
    Silver - Azarenka
    Bronze - Li

Others: Sharapova, Radwanska, Kerber, Lisicki, Clijsters, Kvitova
    Potential Shocks: Zheng, Shvedova, Ivanovic

The women's game is far more random than the men's and it's hard to know who will be consistent this year.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndyJK9)
    I think Federer wants it very badly.

Gold- Federer
    Silver- Djokovic
    Bronze- Nadal
    He wants it, but say if hypothetically he was given a choice of choosing between only winning wimbledon for the 7th time or winning the olympic gold, I wonder what he would prefer :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G-man89)
    Let's not forget about the other GB players! Heather Watson has just won her first WTA doubles title, so her and Laura Robson may have a decent run. (That's not to say they will win any medals but still...)
    It's a great confidence booster for Watson, and Robson made the semi's of her first WTA tournament in Palermo, Sicily. However, it was on clay, but that may be even better as she's a better player on grass. She beat Vinci and Suarez Navarro there, both pretty highly ranked.
    However, I don't know what to think of the GB selection now as Baltacha is now GB #4, and she's playing the singles. At the time of selection I think she was #1 or #2. I know it is a tough call and probably best to call up Keothavong and Baltacha to play singles as they're more experienced and have represented GB on numerous Fed Cup outing but the whole rankings change has come at a bad time as it appears that Watson and Robson will be GB #1 and #2 within the next year unless Keothavong and Baltacha have a late career resurgence like some other players on the tour.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurricaneDominic)
    However, I don't know what to think of the GB selection now as Baltacha is now GB #4, and she's playing the singles. At the time of selection I think she was #1 or #2. I know it is a tough call and probably best to call up Keothavong and Baltacha to play singles as they're more experienced and have represented GB on numerous Fed Cup outing but the whole rankings change has come at a bad time as it appears that Watson and Robson will be GB #1 and #2 within the next year unless Keothavong and Baltacha have a late career resurgence like some other players on the tour.
    I agree. I think we're coming into a new era for women’s tennis. I think it's a fair view that Robson and Watson will soon be the leading players for the foreseeable future. Saying that however, Keothavong and Baltacha are still decent players. I guess after everything they have put into GB tennis they deserve a shot at the singles in London. As you said, experience may play a part here.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internet tough guy)
    He wants it, but say if hypothetically he was given a choice of choosing between only winning wimbledon for the 7th time or winning the olympic gold, I wonder what he would prefer :confused:
    The Olympic gold is the last major accolade he doesn't possess. He would match Nadal having the Golden Career Slam. I think he's pretty desperate to get gold.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sc0307)
    The Olympic gold is the last major accolade he doesn't possess. He would match Nadal having the Golden Career Slam. I think he's pretty desperate to get gold.
    So you think he would've preferred winning olympic gold than wimbledon? (say if he was only allowed to choose one)

Personally I'm not too sure. In long run, a player's career is judged on grand slams. Winning olympic gold just seems like an extra bonus on top of their main achievements. But he was very jubilant when he won just the doubles gold last time round, so maybe the olympics is special for him.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internet tough guy)
    So you think he would've preferred winning olympic gold than wimbledon? (say if he was only allowed to choose one)

Personally I'm not too sure. In long run, a player's career is judged on grand slams. Winning olympic gold just seems like an extra bonus on top of their main achievements. But he was very jubilant when he won just the doubles gold last time round, so maybe the olympics is special for him.
    It's really hard to say which he would prefer. Considering he regained the number one ranking, matched Pete's record of 7 and overtook him in number of weeks ranked number one because of winning wimbledon...I would probably say he would prefer winning wimbledon. But he also is still really desperate to win Gold for sure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Oh god, "Come on Andy" all over again
    It will be more like "Come on *insert popular GB athlete's name here*". I don't think Murray will have as much pressure on him at the Olympics as he did at Wimbledon as there is SO much going on and so many GB medal prospects in action.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 8, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.