Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Olympics Tennis

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sc0307)
    It's really hard to say which he would prefer. Considering he regained the number one ranking, matched Pete's record of 7 and overtook him in number of weeks ranked number one because of winning wimbledon...I would probably say he would prefer winning wimbledon. But he also is still really desperate to win Gold for sure.
    As he's got a Gold medal in the doubles at the Olympics in Beijing in 2008, I think he's checked the box of 'Olympic Gold Medal', it's just whether or not he would be that bothered not having an Olympic Gold Medal in singles.
    Of course he wants to win the Gold this time in London. It's a whole different event this time than in Beijing as it's at Wimbledon on the grass and 3 weeks after he won his 7th Wimbledon title. If he were to win the event then he's basically won 2/4 major tournaments so far this year which will cement his place as the best player of the moment and of the year, and probably even more so in the history of the game.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    I can't see anyone who's not Rafa beating Fed on grass here. Haven't seen the draw, so I'm not sure which way round it would go, but I think Fed>Djok>Nad>Fed here, and likely they'd all beat Murray. But hopefully he surprises us!
    I agree, why is nobody predicting Federer to win? I think he will. 3 weeks rest after Wimbledon should be enough.

Murray and Djokovic for other medals. But there will probably be an upset of some sort.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's really hard to say which he would prefer. Considering he regained the number one ranking, matched Pete's record of 7 and overtook him in number of weeks ranked number one because of winning wimbledon...I would probably say he would prefer winning wimbledon. But he also is still really desperate to win Gold for sure.
    No question surely... 7 wimbys.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurricaneDominic)
    As he's got a Gold medal in the doubles at the Olympics in Beijing in 2008, I think he's checked the box of 'Olympic Gold Medal', it's just whether or not he would be that bothered not having an Olympic Gold Medal in singles.
    Of course he wants to win the Gold this time in London. It's a whole different event this time than in Beijing as it's at Wimbledon on the grass and 3 weeks after he won his 7th Wimbledon title. If he were to win the event then he's basically won 2/4 major tournaments so far this year which will cement his place as the best player of the moment and of the year, and probably even more so in the history of the game.
    I really don't think the Olympic Gold Medal in doubles comes close to the medal in singles. For me, the motivation is still very much there to win Gold. After all he is primarily a singles player.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    No question surely... 7 wimbys.
    He is still extremely passionate about winning gold in the singles.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    I still feel that Murray can play as good as anyone on an outdoor grass court
    You'd be wrong.

Indoor or outdoor, Federer has this in the bag.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think the Olympic Gold Medal in doubles comes close to the medal in singles. For me, the motivation is still very much there to win Gold. After all he is primarily a singles player.
    It's equal in the realm of the Olympics. In the tennis world doubles is considered inferior but an Olympic gold medal is an Olympic gold medal regardless of discipline or the amount of participants.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internet tough guy)
    He wants it, but say if hypothetically he was given a choice of choosing between only winning wimbledon for the 7th time or winning the olympic gold, I wonder what he would prefer :confused:
    Hmmm.. A singles gold is the only thing he hasn't won though....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it's regarded more prestigious to a predominantly singles player but it's an Olympic Gold, he's still won a medal for his country. I think the doubles at the Olympics is more highly regarded than Doubles at Grand Slams, at least from what I've read and the more even coverage at the Beijing games.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndyJK9)
    Hmmm.. A singles gold is the only thing he hasn't won though....
    Exactly...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it's regarded more prestigious to a predominantly singles player but it's an Olympic Gold, he's still won a medal for his country. I think the doubles at the Olympics is more highly regarded than Doubles at Grand Slams, at least from what I've read and the more even coverage at the Beijing games.
    The bottom line is, the only major achievement eluding Federer is now the Olympic Gold in singles.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    The bottom line is, the only major achievement eluding Federer is now the Olympic Gold in singles.
    True but if he doesn't win it, people won't look back at his career and say "He was a great player, but he never won Olympic gold...".

I would argue that a more impressive achievment would be if he won the Monte Carlo Masters - a major event that Rafa has completely dominated since 2005.

But having said all that, getting the gold medal would nicely round off an amazing career.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could also argue he's not won the Davis Cup, regarded as a big deal to many players, but that's another matter in itself.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You could also argue he's not won the Davis Cup, regarded as a big deal to many players, but that's another matter in itself.
    True but the Davis Cup is more of a team competition rather than a one man achievement if that makes sense.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    True but if he doesn't win it, people won't look back at his career and say "He was a great player, but he never won Olympic gold...".

I would argue that a more impressive achievment would be if he won the Monte Carlo Masters - a major event that Rafa has completely dominated since 2005.

But having said all that, getting the gold medal would nicely round off an amazing career.
    This was the one I was going to bring up. But iirc, he's still equal with the record of most different masters won, so perhaps the olympics would looks better.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    This was the one I was going to bring up. But iirc, he's still equal with the record of most different masters won, so perhaps the olympics would looks better.
    He also hasn't won the Rome masters but I still rank an Olympic gold in singles above the masters.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    He also hasn't won the Rome masters but I still rank an Olympic gold in singles above the masters.
    An Olympic gold is something special but I don't quite feel it when it comes to tennis. I'd rank Miami, Indian Wells and the Masters Cup above it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I guess Federer or Djokovic to get the gold, and the other of the pair and Murray will take silver and bronze. Obviously which way round these go depends on the draw - if Djokovic and Federer are in the same half, Murray gets to take silver. I have heard that Nadal is functionally out of it and there are no other players who can step up to the level of the remaining 3 of the big four.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Won't happen but I hope Roddick or Hewitt win a medal!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are the routes to the final? For all we know the Olympics people could rig it so Nadal, Roger and Novak are in one half, with Murray in the other to give him a great shot at the silver.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.