Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

weight loss Q/A ill try my best to answer as many questions

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    last year i was a fat slob with a BMI of 33.3 who spent most of the days eating and watching tv, now I'm at a healthy weight running 6-10 miles, rowing, circuit training,swimming, hill sprints weighted, daily. with a bmi of 24.4.

Iknow what it takes to go from fat the healthy and understand what problems you are going through as i have faced them before, ask away.

(I'm male)
    (18)

fitness.
    Nutrition.
    injuries.

1 tip, Weight Watchers, do NOT buy this stuff, in this day and age people only look at the calories in foods and drinks, but forget to look into other things, what Weight Watchers lacks in calories is made up by the mass amount of sugar used, which can lead to obesity and a weaker immune system plus dozens of other health problems.

this doesn't mean to cut sugar out for a quick healthy body, the body needs a certain amount of it to keep going, every food can be enjoyed but has to be an odd occasion for it, for example having a mcdonalds once every 2-3 weeks isnt going to do any harm if you are eating healthy on the other days, having a McDonald's everyday will not do anything good for you (you probably know this already but surprising how little people know about foods)

Self Discipline - This is it guys, This is the one you need to be mentally strong enough for, resisting the temptation for something can be a real struggle but if you are 100% wanting to lose the weight then this will be easy for you, for those who are not, think about your holiday and how much you want to look good for it, look towards fruit and fill the house with tonnes of different fruit, these are great snacks, i probably eat 5 apples a day .

Dont give up - looking in the mirror wont help, looking at the scales will, look at the scales once or twice a month, if you look everyday you will see very little loss and will seem to take forever, and also dont give up when you look at yourself in the mirror, you see yourself everyday so you are used to seeing yourself in a certain way. when i saw my friends who i haven't seen in a year, they didn't recognise me but in the mirror i looked the same to myself, so even though you dont see a difference believe me their is.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Per kilogram of fat loss, how many more ladies do you think became attracted to you?

I joke, (you can answer it if you want ) well done on your progress
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terrytibbs900)
    last year i was a fat slob with a BMI of 33.3 who spent most of the days eating and watching tv, now I'm at a healthy weight running 6-10 miles, rowing, circuit training,swimming, hill sprints weighted, daily. with a bmi of 24.4.

Iknow what it takes to go from fat the healthy and understand what problems you are going through as i have faced them before, ask away.

(I'm male)
    (18)

fitness.
    Nutrition.
    injuries.
    Well done!
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well done you, that's great!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

(I'm male)
    (18)

fitness.
    Nutrition.
    injuries.
    Well done!

What is your point of view on using whey protein to make up the "required" lb of body weight to gram of protein per day? (when not lifting - cardio 3 days per week)
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack7Richards)
    What is your point of view on using whey protein to make up the "required" lb of body weight to gram of protein per day? (when not lifting - cardio 3 days per week)
    I hope you don't mind me trying to answer this

I don't think you need whey protein, it's just a convenient source of protein. If you can get it from food sources then that's better than just using supplements. You need to keep a healthy intake of protein because you'd want to keep muscle and lose fat instead of losing both muscle and fat.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before / After pics?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)

I don't think you need whey protein, it's just a convenient source of protein. If you can get it from food sources then that's better than just using supplements. You need to keep a healthy intake of protein because you'd want to keep muscle and lose fat instead of losing both muscle and fat.
    this is a great answer, whey protein is good for a person who doesn't have a lot of money to be able to spend it on rich protein foods like chicken breast. whey protein doesn't really help with muscle building though the protein itself just helps as a recovery method, so you can workout more. this is why people associate protein shakes with body builders and steroids, when they are completely wrong, it just helps muscles recover faster so you can work on them more. meaning more muscle will grow (WHEY PROTEIN IS NOT A STEROID. just in case anyone thinks they are :P)

a lot of protein is good for when doing cardio as you are burning so many calories that the muscle needs to build. that's why marathon runners are really thin, because they will be eating a lot of high energy foods more than protein.

i don't really do a lot of weights though, i do circuit training for my strength, i need to be strong yet fast and distance runner so being bulky doesn't really help for the job I'm getting fit to do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocker710)
    Before / After pics?
    ill try find some pictures of when i was obese, didn't really like my body at that time so didnt enjoy pictures being taken of me
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    this is a great answer, whey protein is a poor man's choice for someone who doesn't have a lot of money to be able to spend it on rich protein foods like chicken breast. whey protein doesn't really help with muscle building though the protein itself just helps as a recovery method, so you can workout more.

Thanks for the help guys, I should be getting 294lbs of protein but despite having chicken breast 2x a day I'm missing it! I'm always close to my 2000cals (BMR ~3000) any suggestions of high protein low cal food?

Many thanks.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys, I should be getting 294lbs of protein but despite having chicken breast 2x a day I'm missing it! I'm always close to my 2000cals (BMR ~3000) any suggestions of high protein low cal food?

Many thanks.
    294g

Try egg whites.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Many thanks.
    egg white omelets are great

and i eat a hell of a lot of low/non fat cottage cheese that stuff is great.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    294g

Try egg whites.
    Lol.

Cheers I'll give it a bash!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    injuries.

1 tip, Weight Watchers, do NOT buy this stuff, in this day and age people only look at the calories in foods and drinks, but forget to look into other things, what Weight Watchers lacks in calories is made up by the mass amount of sugar used, which can lead to obesity and a weaker immune system plus dozens of other health problems.

Well done on losing the weight! But one thing - I've managed to lose over 3st (and counting!) with Weightwatchers, and that includes eating the food. Having looked at the nutritional info on a couple of WW things to hand nothing has an abnormal amount of sugar in. The 'Points' are made up of looking at the carbohydrates, protein, total fat and fibre in the product, so by using the points system you're not actually just looking at the calories, you're looking at the product as a whole.

Plus, WW is primarily about lifestyle and healthy changes; it advocates a completely different and healthier lifestyle which the food tries to complement rather than being the main component of. So regardless of the food the system is pretty good from a motivational/incentive/awareness point of view.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

(I'm male)
    (18)

fitness.
    Nutrition.
    injuries.

Self Discipline - This is it guys, This is the one you need to be mentally strong enough for, resisting the temptation for something can be a real struggle but if you are 100% wanting to lose the weight then this will be easy for you, for those who are not, think about your holiday and how much you want to look good for it, look towards fruit and fill the house with tonnes of different fruit, these are great snacks, i probably eat 5 apples a day .

Dont give up - looking in the mirror wont help, looking at the scales will, look at the scales once or twice a month, if you look everyday you will see very little loss and will seem to take forever, and also dont give up when you look at yourself in the mirror, you see yourself everyday so you are used to seeing yourself in a certain way. when i saw my friends who i haven't seen in a year, they didn't recognise me but in the mirror i looked the same to myself, so even though you dont see a difference believe me their is.
    This is quite motivational for what I aim to do over the next two years, at the moment I am around 182cm and around 16.5 stone (105kg ish), which gives a BMI of 31.7. The issue I think that has stopped me so far is that I always had loose money available in my room (coins and notes), as I did have a bank account but that was a "child's" one, so I would always need one of my parents to take the money out for me, hence eventually stopped using it. Therefore, i would always go to shops and buy crap such as sweets and energy drinks. However recently, i have just began a new "young persons" account, and received my PIN for it Saturday, awaiting my Debit card and other bits and bobs to arrive. I think this should help because now I will be able to use this account on my own accord, and i know that i am not going to use a debit card in a shop to purchase sweets (shops where i live don't usually accept cards if purchase is under £15 anyway). So through this i should have no loose money at the ready to purchase such items.

Also, over the next month i will be getting Braces (i have a baby tooth with no adult tooth behind it). This will mean that i won't be able to eat chocolates and such crap also, so hopefully this will help me on my quest to lose the flab.

I do have a question though;

How did you lose your weight, just through diet or with exercise? Can you give examples of how you went about it, such as how much exercise / intensity of exercise when you first began, and/or how you progressed?

Exercise has never been an issue for me, I used to be in Surf life saving club before our local rugby team began, and has always participated in sport in school. It is only recently, since GCSE years, where my fitness has gone crap because i had excess money which i didn't know what to do with it, so much of it went on bad comfort foods. However, it is nice to see such a story of a person who was once in a position that i am currently in, it is very inspiring and motivating!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _becca)
    Well done on losing the weight! But one thing - I've managed to lose over 3st (and counting!) with Weightwatchers, and that includes eating the food. Having looked at the nutritional info on a couple of WW things to hand nothing has an abnormal amount of sugar in. The 'Points' are made up of looking at the carbohydrates, protein, total fat and fibre in the product, so by using the points system you're not actually just looking at the calories, you're looking at the product as a whole.

Plus, WW is primarily about lifestyle and healthy changes; it advocates a completely different and healthier lifestyle which the food tries to complement rather than being the main component of. So regardless of the food the system is pretty good from a motivational/incentive/awareness point of view.
    a friend of mine who is a fitness instructor who did nutrition courses does not recommend these, especially the desert options, he says they cause so many health problems. you may loose weight with them as with your case but do contribute to a lot of different problems i wouldn't go near them
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

Many thanks.
    Bricks were **** when I read 294lb

I would seriously look at shakes if you're not getting enough protein in naturally. Continue eating the same amount of chicken as you currently do but supplement it with shakes.

depending on your price range I would look at these

This is good for your basic protein, it's just over £10/KG which is as good as you'll get for the money, it has a little less protein per gram of powder compared to the one below but is certainly better than nothing.

If you've got a bit more money I would get this. It's 22.4g protein per 25g of powder so very clean.

When you order from Maxiraw you get a bundle free which has some scoops and a shaker which is better than nothing. You also get free delivery and points to redeem against future offers.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    a friend of mine who is a fitness instructor who did nutrition courses does not recommend these, especially the desert options, he says they cause so many health problems. you may loose weight with them as with your case but do contribute to a lot of different problems i wouldn't go near them
    I think you two are talking about different things... she is talking about the weight watchers diet as a whole, while you're talking about the products they market to go along with the diet (which people don't have to eat to follow the diet).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    This is quite motivational for what I aim to do over the next two years, at the moment I am around 182cm and around 16.5 stone (105kg ish), which gives a BMI of 31.7. The issue I think that has stopped me so far is that I always had loose money available in my room (coins and notes), as I did have a bank account but that was a "child's" one, so I would always need one of my parents to take the money out for me, hence eventually stopped using it. Therefore, i would always go to shops and buy crap such as sweets and energy drinks. However recently, i have just began a new "young persons" account, and received my PIN for it Saturday, awaiting my Debit card and other bits and bobs to arrive. I think this should help because now I will be able to use this account on my own accord, and i know that i am not going to use a debit card in a shop to purchase sweets (shops where i live don't usually accept cards if purchase is under £15 anyway). So through this i should have no loose money at the ready to purchase such items.

Also, over the next month i will be getting Braces (i have a baby tooth with no adult tooth behind it). This will mean that i won't be able to eat chocolates and such crap also, so hopefully this will help me on my quest to lose the flab.

I do have a question though;

How did you lose your weight, just through diet or with exercise? Can you give examples of how you went about it, such as how much exercise / intensity of exercise when you first began, and/or how you progressed?

Exercise has never been an issue for me, I used to be in Surf life saving club before our local rugby team began, and has always participated in sport in school. It is only recently, since GCSE years, where my fitness has gone crap because i had excess money which i didn't know what to do with it, so much of it went on bad comfort foods. However, it is nice to see such a story of a person who was once in a position that i am currently in, it is very inspiring and motivating!
    really for me i started by struggling to run 1 mile a day, but i kept with it, after around 2-3 weeks of running everyday this does begin to get easier, but you don't want it to be easy, you want it to be hard.
    (and it doesn't require a lot of time, 30 minutes - 1 hour is enough)

so every couple of weeks i would either increase the distance I ran or the speed,

i think diet is a big part of anyone trying to lose weight, i cut down on calories by going for the healthier options, fruit and veg.

of course when going out for a meal i would treat myself to a hearty dinner, but that was because I only go out for a meal once in a while and once in a while doesn't hurt anyone.

how did i progress? well like i say when you begin exercises its the hardest, your muscles are not used to it and when this happens you lose your motivation a bit, but if you give it a few weeks you will feel the benefits coming through and will get easier, but it getting easy is a sign that you need to do more, exercise should never be easy, you see photogenic people smiling as they exercise, WRONG you should be digging deep to keep moving and legs turning to jelly, this is what exercise is about.
    PAIN is not a good sign, if you are hurting badly in an area its best to rest it for a few days, you may pull it even more and be out of training for a few months

i ran, rowed or swam everyday 6 days a week with a rest day on Sunday. for 30 minutes - 1 hour
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For quick weight loss 2 cups of green tea everyday with some lemons does wonders, that also detoxicatess ur body so after u have gained the weight u like u can start to work on shaping it..and for the protein source milk milk and milk )
    This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5839i

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 11, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.