The Student Room Group

Do you smoke?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eldedu
In my case:
It's relaxing
It's something to do with your hands
I enjoy it (to be fair, only sometimes)
It's a good way to clear my head or focus on something (enough physical activity to avoid becoming restless, not so much that I can't think things over well)
And often, sadly, because it helps pass time when there's nothing else to do (bus stops, taxi rides, etc.)

Does 'something do do with your hands' outweigh the increased chances of cancer? :clap2:
Reply 101
Original post by InternetGangster
Does 'something do do with your hands' outweigh the increased chances of cancer? :clap2:

That was my only reason. You've got me. I can't compete with that level of critical reading skill.

Also, it's "something to do". Because if you're going to make unfunny jokes (and then clap for yourself, clever boy!) then I'm going to unleash my grammar nazi.

Incidentally:
- Sex has all kinds of nasty potential complications, stds, unwanted pregnancy, long term relationships...I suppose you never shag
- Alcohol: cirrhosis, innit. So you won't drink.
- Drugs: Don't even need to point out the dangers of these. You'll be stone cold sober I imagine.
- Capitalism: Chance of unemployment or a low standard of living. You must live in North Korea.
- Living in North Korea: Chance of being executed as an enemy of the state. So maybe you don't live in North Korea
- Extreme sports: Massive chance of grievous bodily harm, I imagine you'll stay at home.
- Driving: Number one cause of death amongst young people. You take the bus do you?

Humans are often, from an outside perspective, illogical. It's the entire raison d'etre for the social sciences.
There was a boy in the UK who mathematically and logically weighed up the probable lives he had ahead of him. He then shot himself.

But you know smoker-bashing, and picking out the worst reason out of a group, thrown in because it's true instead of because it having any particular weight, of five (of which the others seem to me to be very justifiable and understandable), is a lot easier than actually using your brain.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 102
Original post by Wilfred Little
:biggrin:

I don't smoke but I smoked some weed on my birthday a few months back, I've smoked it before but not for years and years.

I just sat there as the individual sounds in the music on my headphones became more repetitive and made me paranoid so I turned it off and lay on the bed in the foetal position trying to calm down :frown:

Wow, this was my response to cannabis as well! I took some really serious **** with some friends, it was a dodgy batch and I hated the way it made me feel, I was looking behind me every few seconds because it felt like someone big and scary was watching me. I thought it was just me but I found out the next day that 4 out of 5 of us felt the same, except for the 5th one who was a regular and said it was familiar territory. I never touched the stuff since.

Next step: Salvia :woo: (just to satisfy the experimental monkey in me! It's legal, too!)
Reply 103
Do you self harm?
No.
Reply 104
I smoke, 3-5 a day. I smoke when i'm bored, hungry, pissed of or just stressed out.
No, I did for about 5 days once and it was nice, I can definitely see the appeal but I can't train and smoke at the same time and to be honest, the negatives far outweigh the positives for me. I'm not one of those douchebags that looks down on smokers though, self-righteous idiots.
Been smoking since I was 16, 24 now. Smoke 20 a day.

This was posted from The Student Room's iP
Smoked weed twice but that was it. First time barely even counted anyway
I'm going to puff a pipe at University just to be an eccentric bastard. :colonhash:
I don't smoke as I've never seen any reason to and my Auntie's skin is terrible, but I don't see why people are preaching about the dangers of smoking. Most smokers know the risks but still do it for their own personal reasons. We've all got to die of something anyway.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5360
Original post by thetobbit
Nope, never tried, been offered many times when sober/drunk but never really felt the need.

I work in a shop now and seeing that a 12 pack is now on average 7 odd pound just made me stay way clear

i didn't know they sold 12 packs of cigarettes, how interesting! :rolleyes:

amber leaf all the way dude
roll ups yeeeeah
Reply 112
Original post by InternetGangster
You won't quit, addict.

Your right!

I am a winner, and winners don't quit

*wins all the cancer!*
Used to smoke weed daily then cut down to once a week, now been clean for almost a month! Still smoke cigarettes though hope to give up one day
Original post by cid
Your right!

I am a winner, and winners don't quit

*wins all the cancer!*

lol
I don't even smoke shisha
Reply 116
I don't smoke and I will never ever do so.
Original post by Eldedu
That was my only reason. You've got me. I can't compete with that level of critical reading skill.

Also, it's "something to do". Because if you're going to make unfunny jokes (and then clap for yourself, clever boy!) then I'm going to unleash my grammar nazi.

Incidentally:
- Sex has all kinds of nasty potential complications, stds, unwanted pregnancy, long term relationships...I suppose you never shag
- Alcohol: cirrhosis, innit. So you won't drink.
- Drugs: Don't even need to point out the dangers of these. You'll be stone cold sober I imagine.
- Capitalism: Chance of unemployment or a low standard of living. You must live in North Korea.
- Living in North Korea: Chance of being executed as an enemy of the state. So maybe you don't live in North Korea
- Extreme sports: Massive chance of grievous bodily harm, I imagine you'll stay at home.
- Driving: Number one cause of death amongst young people. You take the bus do you?

Humans are often, from an outside perspective, illogical. It's the entire raison d'etre for the social sciences.
There was a boy in the UK who mathematically and logically weighed up the probable lives he had ahead of him. He then shot himself.

But you know smoker-bashing, and picking out the worst reason out of a group, thrown in because it's true instead of because it having any particular weight, of five (of which the others seem to me to be very justifiable and understandable), is a lot easier than actually using your brain.

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for not outlining your other, indisputable reasons for smoking, though to be honest they're equally as menial as the initial point I made. So let's cover them.
- 'It's relaxing' - 'Research into smoking and stress has shown that, instead of helping people to relax, smoking actually increases anxiety and tension. Nicotine creates an immediate sense of relaxation so people smoke in the belief that it reduces stress and anxiety. This feeling of relaxation is temporary and soon gives way to withdrawal symptoms and increased cravings.' Source http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/help-information/mental-health-a-z/S/smoking/
- 'I enjoy it. To be fair, only sometimes'. Hard to counter act that point due to it's vagueness. Though I think 'To be fair, only sometimes' is pretty self explanatory.
- Helps be pass time - another brilliant reason as to why one should put their lives in danger.

So as of yet, I still can't see any good reason as to why you should want to smoke.

And in response to your last post
- We have a thing called 'condoms' and other forms of protection. Ever heard of them?
-Cirrhosis develops between 10 - 20 % of heavy drinkersmost of whom have been drinking over a decade or so. Unlike smoking, taking precautions to how much you drink prevents addiction, which is why more people are addicted to smoking than they are drinking.
-Oddly enough, I don't take drugs for recreational purposes. Ought I to?
If I wanted to I would carry on, though what's the point? I think it's clear to see that your examples have little or no relation to that of smoking in terms of pro's and cons.
Original post by kaylafrances
i didn't know they sold 12 packs of cigarettes, how interesting! :rolleyes:

amber leaf all the way dude
roll ups yeeeeah

Ah feck lol I meant a 20 pack
It's foul and disgusting, no.

Quick Reply

Latest