The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

I want to transfer to queen mary ?? Help

I study biomedical science at Roehampton university but don't like it there for lots of reasons. Queen mary was one of my original choices but my grades weren't as good as expected.I have now finished my first year with a 2.1. Can I transfer there onto a similar course(biochem, biology, chemistry etc) or any other university????????
Reply 1
Original post by Miss Education
I study biomedical science at Roehampton university but don't like it there for lots of reasons. Queen mary was one of my original choices but my grades weren't as good as expected.I have now finished my first year with a 2.1. Can I transfer there onto a similar course(biochem, biology, chemistry etc) or any other university????????

Well to be honest, from what I remember you were supposed to have done it a couple of months ago.....

I'm completely unsure if it's acceptable at the moment, talk to your personal tutor, but it'll be a issue and may not be possible.

You got to deal the transfer of credits, the acceptability of your current modules with that of QMUL, written statements from your personal tutor as a referee and your grades, which takes a lot of time and you'll be quite a way through your 2nd year.

So email your personal tutor.................but I would honestly think about calling or going in if you live nearby and have a proper talk with your personal tutor, it's not an easy task.

Hopefully this'll help and bump the thread up and anyone who has transferred could help you better :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Why don't you look at if the course content covered during first year is the same for your course, then, ring QMUL tomorrow and tell them your situation. :smile:
Reply 3
Thats a good idea but I was told I have to go through UCAS again if I want to transfer also i dont know if I should speak to some one at my own university about this first :confused::s-smilie:
Reply 4
Thats a good idea but I was told I have to go through UCAS again if I want to transfer also i dont know if I should speak to some one at my own university about this first :confused::s-smilie:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, because I recall that you need to get a referee from your current uni, but also talk to your current uni and the one who want to go to if they will accept, so you got to go through the offer process, but the uni your applying to should know and if they accept, your point of entry would 2nd year. But that times gone, so firstly talk talk to the relevant QMUL department if they will let you in 2nd year as it's so late before going to your personal tutor.
Reply 5
I'm transferring from Hull to Queen Mary this September. I applied through UCAS at the start of the year and got my personal tutor to be a referee for me. All they asked is that I got 65%, which I did and now its all sorted. I think you may have left it too late, I don't know if you can start new UCAS applications now, but you could always call Queen Mary directly?
Reply 6
What course are you starting at queen mary next year? I called queen mary today and a member of staff told me that they don't take any transfers into second year and that I would have to start my first year again ??
Reply 7
Original post by Tesphena
I'm transferring from Hull to Queen Mary this September. I applied through UCAS at the start of the year and got my personal tutor to be a referee for me. All they asked is that I got 65%, which I did and now its all sorted. I think you may have left it too late, I don't know if you can start new UCAS applications now, but you could always call Queen Mary directly?

What course are you starting at queen mary next year? I called queen mary today and a member of staff told me that they don't take any transfers into second year and that I would have to start my first year again ??

Quote people so they know you replied to them :smile:

Secondly they do they tale people into 2nd year, sometimes it depends on the course................if they are willing to take you from 1st year again? Would you, not sure which tuition fee it'll be though :/
Original post by Iqbal007

Secondly they do they tale people into 2nd year, sometimes it depends on the course................if they are willing to take you from 1st year again? Would you, not sure which tuition fee it'll be though :/

Just to add my two pence, I believe it will be 9k if you start again from first year. Transfer and you're on the old scheme.

It's also worth noting, you get 4 years of funding from Student Finance, if you go over board you have to pay the first year fee from your own pocket.
Reply 9
Original post by Iqbal007

I definitely wouldn't start from first year again, that would be a waste of money and time as I've already got a good grade, I'm not set on transferring to only queen mary I wouldn't mind another university close by with a good biomedical or biochem degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I definitely wouldn't start from first year again, that would be a waste of money and time as I've already got a good grade, I'm not set on transferring to only queen mary I wouldn't mind another university close by with a good biomedical or biochem degree.

Hi Miss Education :smile:
How about Imperial? Here's what I extracted from its website:

Second year entry
For Biology, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, we sometimes accept transfers from other institutions into the second year. Students should provide us with a transcript of their first year grades and details of their Pre-University Qualifications and the grades attained in them. Offers are based on the number of places available (if any), the relevance of the modules covered in the first year elsewhere and the grades achieved. If we feel direct entry to the second year wouldn't be possible we may offer you first year entry instead.

Here's the link : http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/lifesciences/entryrequirements
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11

I'll be studying history. I got an offer for second year entry but I asked instead for first year entry. I wouldn't have to pay the increased fee for second year, but do now I'll be a fresher again. I reckon its worth it though. :smile:
Reply 12

Well you should try other uni's as well, but ask the specific department which deals with your course, and should have really applied earlier, they might let you in, but probably through ucas.
Original post by JadeJenz
Hi Miss Education :smile:
How about Imperial? Here's what I extracted from its website:

Second year entry
For Biology, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, we sometimes accept transfers from other institutions into the second year. Students should provide us with a transcript of their first year grades and details of their Pre-University Qualifications and the grades attained in them. Offers are based on the number of places available (if any), the relevance of the modules covered in the first year elsewhere and the grades achieved. If we feel direct entry to the second year wouldn't be possible we may offer you first year entry instead.

Here's the link : http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/lifesciences/entryrequirements

Thanks alot for that information, I checked imperials website a few days ago and it sounds really good, I'd love to go there but I doubt I would be accepted because of my A2 results, but its worth trying :smile:.
Reply 14
Thanks alot for that information, I checked imperials website a few days ago and it sounds really good, I'd love to go there but I doubt I would be accepted because of my A2 results, but its worth trying :smile:.

Good luck! :smile:
You're not going to get into second year from Roehampton. It's not gonna happen. I'm being honest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending