The Student Room Group

Went through a taxi/bus only area

Little bit worried. Never had a fine or points. The sign has only just gone up so I wasn't aware as I normally use this road in town. Anyway I wasn't stopped but there was another sign that said "bus lane cameras." Again this is all new in this area.

At the end there were people holding cameras, one from each end, but not cops :confused:

Chances of a fine/points considerin I wasn't stopped? When I came back I avoided that road obviously but as I went past I saw a massive police presence there.
Reply 1
If there was cameras then there's a good chance i'm afraid..
Reply 2
Don't worry too much. Even if you do get a fine and points it's no big deal really. Almost every driver gets points at some time in their life. :smile:

Why worry about something you can't change?
Reply 3
If the sign has just gone up then there is likely to be a police presence and the likelyhood is that they are there to hand out warnings only especially to locals
Original post by ROG.
If the sign has just gone up then there is likely to be a police presence and the likelyhood is that they are there to hand out warnings only especially to locals

I wasn't stopped anyway. Do bus lane cameras flash? I didn't notice a flash. What if you use bus lanes at night, will the cameras still be active? I just don't know much about these.
Reply 5
Usually the council use cctv to prosecute for bus lane offences and those are made against the vehicle owner and not the driver

Bus lanes are 24 hour unless times on plates say otherwise
Original post by ROG.
Usually the council use cctv to prosecute for bus lane offences and those are made against the vehicle owner and not the driver

Bus lanes are 24 hour unless times on plates say otherwise

Ah ok. Looks like I have gotten away with going through the new taxi/bus area (cops came after) but just a question of whether there was cctv being enforced.

Lucky insurance companies only care about points :cool:
Reply 7
Original post by Potential Trigger
Ah ok. Looks like I have gotten away with going through the new taxi/bus area (cops came after) but just a question of whether there was cctv being enforced.

Lucky insurance companies only care about points :cool:

No points for council enforcement penalties
Got the letter with pictures of my car. What sucks about this is the fact that the camera warning sign comes much AFTER where you get zapped. How is this fair? I thought you are meant to get a warning first.

I couldn't even see the camera when I went back today and lots of cars were still going through. They said it was the ANPRCAMERA that got me..
Original post by Potential Trigger
Got the letter with pictures of my car. What sucks about this is the fact that the camera warning sign comes much AFTER where you get zapped. How is this fair? I thought you are meant to get a warning first.

I couldn't even see the camera when I went back today and lots of cars were still going through. They said it was the ANPRCAMERA that got me..

I don't think they are legally required to warn you of cameras, although the signs are meant to act as a deterrent. There is a bus lane near me, where they use a Tobacco storage factory to pull cars over into, and give a ticket there and then - there is no signs warning the bus lane is enforced before the police pop up and tell you to drive into it (over than the signs saying about the bus lane itself). Haven't been caught by it myself, it is just next to my uni :tongue:

Seems it was the people holding cameras at each end that caught you out, will have to pay the fine and accept the points I guess. As for if cameras flash, it depends on the type of camera, movable ones by the police don't usually, other than that, some do, some use infra-red - so don't rely on seeing the flash.

Original post by ROG.
No points for council enforcement penalties

Parking tickets, yes. Speeding and bus lane offences, 3 points.
Original post by rmhumphries
I don't think they are legally required to warn you of cameras, although the signs are meant to act as a deterrent. There is a bus lane near me, where they use a Tobacco storage factory to pull cars over into, and give a ticket there and then - there is no signs warning the bus lane is enforced before the police pop up and tell you to drive into it (over than the signs saying about the bus lane itself). Haven't been caught by it myself, it is just next to my uni :tongue:

Seems it was the people holding cameras at each end that caught you out, will have to pay the fine and accept the points I guess. As for if cameras flash, it depends on the type of camera, movable ones by the police don't usually, other than that, some do, some use infra-red - so don't rely on seeing the flash.

Parking tickets, yes. Speeding and bus lane offences, 3 points.

It's no points. £30 fine if payed in 2 weeks. I just don't remember seeing anyone there. I think it's a proper camera, not a mobile one. Never had points/fine in 6 years of driving lol. Will have to look into this bus lane crap, seems to be a new thing.

Oh yeah the "bus lane" is 2 car lengths lol and was painted last month. I didn't know because I had exams and there was period where they would just hand out warnings apparently.

EDIT I do think legally they are supposed to warn you. Think about everytime you see a speed camera/police mobile van. Much before on that same road there will ALWAYS be a speed camera sign. On this occasion they have put the sign after the camera. It has only gone up in the last month. I honestly think they will be forced to change it. I was gonna dispute it but couldn't be bothered.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
There is nothing in legislation which says a speed camera warning must be used

Many do use warnings so that the numpties who are unable to control their speed by not concentrating properly do not get too upset when caught

Quick Reply

Latest