Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Good Law Firms (London) - Vac Schemes for Second-Year

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Although, I've made a thread before about my chances for success at good law firms, I supplied my full grades profile and emphasised about success at them (meaning training contracts etc).

Well, I've just received my grades for first year (averaging 2.1 [61%]) and they were as follows - 68,67,63,61,58,50.

Are these okay to secure vacation schemes for second-year?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey I am in first year and got my results-i think you have a good chance-2.1 depends on law you want to do
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless your grades are total rubbish, I would say it's more important that you can demonstrate that you have something interesting to offer over and above the usual obligatory "outside interests".

Unless you're at one of the extremes of the spectrum of candidates; there's no "am I good enough?" There's only "Fill out the application and see what happens".
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    What was the 50 in, out of interest?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i.e. a higher contract grade is desirable-like jam on toast
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    What was the 50 in, out of interest?
    Unfortunately public law. I have no idea what happened there - and it was the module that I was most interested in! Ironically, my highest was Land (supposedly, the most 'challenging').

Why do you want to know?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "Are these okay to secure a vac scheme" - they're not horrendous so it's really all about what you write on the rest of the application. Grades are only the 1st hurdle; they are not the be all and end all of getting a vacation scheme.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    J.D SPICER & CO

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniversalAutocrat)
    Although, I've made a thread before about my chances for success at good law firms, I supplied my full grades profile and emphasised about success at them (meaning training contracts etc).

Well, I've just received my grades for first year (averaging 2.1 [61%]) and they were as follows - 68,67,63,61,58,50.

Are these okay to secure vacation schemes for second-year?
    You'll probably be asked about the 50, and possibly about the 58, but it's not fatal. I have a friend who got an overall 2:ii in her first year who got multiple MC TC offers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ken2)
    J.D SPICER & CO

Why are you posting a random firm's name? Is there a hint here?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why are you posting a random firm's name? Is there a hint here?
    Not random, thought you wanted to know "Good Law Firms"
    Plus im quiet acquainted with them...

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ken2)
    Not random, thought you wanted to know "Good Law Firms"
    Plus im quiet acquainted with them...

Oh ok. Well if you'd read the OP (maybe you have), you'd realise that I wanted some advice as regards my grades in relevance to vac schemes in the 2nd year.

P.S. If I shot off a CV and covering letter to JD Spicer & Co today, do you think I'd get something for this summer (with the grades and all too)?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok. Well if you'd read the OP (maybe you have), you'd realise that I wanted some advice as regards my grades in relevance to vac schemes in the 2nd year.

P.S. If I shot off a CV and covering letter to JD Spicer & Co today, do you think I'd get something for this summer (with the grades and all too)?
    Not that type of acquaintance... but trust me if it was possible i would more than welcome to help out a fellow TSR mate.
    I know they are big firm thats why i requested for you.
    For me to get you in will be such a long process; it aint worth it.
    You can go there directly if you need!

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of great law firms in London.

I come from a family of lawyers (Two of my uncles, my aunt, my father, my sister, my brother, my brother in law and two of my cousins and counting...!) so I have been exposed to quite a lot of law firms in London.

It depends what size law firm you are looking for. Some are better than other for trainee schemes. I would recommend checking out the following:

Clifford Chance

A bit of an obvious one- these guys are the biggest in the UK and, along with Linklaters, they may well be the best. They have a huge graduate trainee program that is supposed to be amazing but it is extremely hard to get on and, once on, they really do work you to the bone.

http://www.cliffordchance.com/home.html

http://www.cplaw.co.uk/default.asp

Linklaters

As with the above, these guys are one of the biggest and most reputable law firms in the world. They also have a very competitive, very hard working trainee scheme. The advantage is that they will give you the option to train in different countries throughout your training, so you could be in London for a few months, then New York, Then Beijing... pretty cool!

http://www.linklaters.com/pages/index.aspx

If you are looking for something a little smaller then I recommend looking at a local solicitors. I can recommend the following two:

CP Law

They are smaller but very good and, I believe, have a great program.

http://www.cplaw.co.uk

Shakespeares

These guys aren't based in London but are one of the larger regional solicitors and are a great start

http://www.shakespeares.co.uk

Anyway, I hope this helps. I'm sure that there are a lot more great law firms out there but these are the ones that I know to have good training. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of great law firms in London.

I come from a family of lawyers (Two of my uncles, my aunt, my father, my sister, my brother, my brother in law and two of my cousins and counting...!) so I have been exposed to quite a lot of law firms in London.

It depends what size law firm you are looking for. Some are better than other for trainee schemes. I would recommend checking out the following:

Clifford Chance

A bit of an obvious one- these guys are the biggest in the UK and, along with Linklaters, they may well be the best. They have a huge graduate trainee program that is supposed to be amazing but it is extremely hard to get on and, once on, they really do work you to the bone.

http://www.cliffordchance.com/home.html

Linklaters

As with the above, these guys are one of the biggest and most reputable law firms in the world. They also have a very competitive, very hard working trainee scheme. The advantage is that they will give you the option to train in different countries throughout your training, so you could be in London for a few months, then New York, Then Beijing... pretty cool!

http://www.linklaters.com/pages/index.aspx

If you are looking for something a little smaller then I recommend looking at a local solicitors. I can recommend the following two:

CP Law

They are smaller but very good and, I believe, have a great program.

http://www.cplaw.co.uk

Shakespeares

These guys aren't based in London but are one of the larger regional solicitors and are a great start

http://www.shakespeares.co.uk

Anyway, I hope this helps. I'm sure that there are a lot more great law firms out there but these are the ones that I know to have good training. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to help!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 11, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.