The Student Room Group

Mature Student

Hi my name is Kevin and I am currently in the process of an application to study a Honours Degree in Finance and Accounting, not unusual, however I am 41 years old, with all the responsibilites of a house and mortgage, wife, 2 children and a fish! Is there anybody in a similar position, or I would be interested in views from younger students who have recently left mainstream education.

Reply 1
one of my finance lectures did the same thing in his 30’s and said it was brutal but he is glad he did it. he was also working full time as well.
Reply 2
Original post by kjmorgan1970
Hi my name is Kevin and I am currently in the process of an application to study a Honours Degree in Finance and Accounting, not unusual, however I am 41 years old, with all the responsibilites of a house and mortgage, wife, 2 children and a fish! Is there anybody in a similar position, or I would be interested in views from younger students who have recently left mainstream education.

Hi Kevin,

You should probably get another fish in case your fish gets lonely when you go to uni.
Hi Kevin.
I am not doing finance or accounting. However I am 32, married, with 4 children, 2dogs and a cat!!! I'm sure there are plenty of mature students in a similar position to us. I am most definitely not expecting an easy ride but am pretty determined person, when I put my mind to it.

All the best with the course.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-P1000
Original post by kjmorgan1970

49yo married, wife, house/mortage, 4 kids, etc.

Slightly different to you in that,

Over the years we have worked our way to zero pets, so no more cats, dogs, fish, snakes, hamsters or gerbils. 2 of my kids have left home in the last 12 months. The other two are still at school / college.

The other difference is that my wife will also be a uni student from September.

We are studying different subjects at different, but close to each other universities at the opposite end of the country to where our house is, but we are looking forward to coming back home at xmas and during the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending