Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good places to live in London

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Looking to move to London at an affordable price. Somewhere nice which has bars open till the early hours on weekends, but where I'm not gonna get shot when I'm hammered.
    Was thinking Canada Water, Canary Wharf? Anyone have an opinion on these?
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rattyryan)
    Looking to move to London at an affordable price. Somewhere nice which has bars open till the early hours on weekends, but where I'm not gonna get shot when I'm hammered.
    Was thinking Canada Water, Canary Wharf? Anyone have an opinion on these?
    To a large extent this depends on your budget and where you'll be working/studying.

e.g. Hoxton fits the bill for being trendy and having nice bars, but if you're going to be working in Wimbledon, it'll be a long commute!

Canada Water/Canary Wharf/the Docklands are nice enough :yes: But a lot of nightlife tends to be concentrated around Islington/Camden/the West End, which aren't very closeby. Getting back to the Docklands after a night out using night buses isn't the easiest thing to pull off when hammered (trust me :p:).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Haha. Well I'll be working in Liverpool Street so ideally looking for somewhere within say a 45 min commute.
    Yeah there didn't seem to be much nightlife around canary wharf. Shoreditch also comes recommended ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere nice in London at an affordable price? Unfortunately does not exist.

I live in Chelsea and pay a fortune for it, but it's a gorgeous area. Same goes for Kensington, Regent's Park, St James Park, Primrose Hill, some areas of Notting Hill, Mayfair. It's quite safe to move around late at night, but you're paying for it. Other than that - the rest.

A friend of mine lives in Islington and is happy there. She pays less than I do (although not a lot less - as long as you're in central London, it'll cost). The area is trendy and has a different feel, but it's not dangerous.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    To a large extent this depends on your budget and where you'll be working/studying.
    Agreed, it depends largely on your budget, and how far you'd be willing to travel to get to the places you need to get to (work/uni).
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha. Well I'll be working in Liverpool Street so ideally looking for somewhere within say a 45 min commute.
    Yeah there didn't seem to be much nightlife around canary wharf. Shoreditch also comes recommended ?
    I'd say go north west, it's what I'm looking to do when I move back, postcodes NW2/NW6/NW10. Quite good for the City if you live anywhere between the Edgware Road/Kilburn High Road and the North Circular, with the Jubilee/Met lines. London Overground and Bakerloo line fairly close as well. Decent amount of bars around and a decent amount of space.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get to liverpool street within 45mins from a few miles out because of the tube.
    Camden to liverpool street is around 15mins on tube.
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the location. Shoreditch is good for nightlife, though it's more expensive to live in. Are you looking to be somewhere "cheap and cheerful" or somewhere a bit more expensive?

If it's the former, you could look into places like Bethnal Green, Bow, Canada Water, Holloway and Camden Town.

If you're willing to go a bit more expensive, you could also look at Spitalfields, Clerkenwell, Old Street, Shoreditch, Hoxton, Angel and Barnsbury.

You might like to take a look at the links on this page:

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/ar...ndonareas.html

But yeah, to reiterate, don't go too far into the Docklands if you're looking to go out a lot in central. The Tube/DLR aren't 24/7, and having to change night buses is not always the easiest thing to do in that part of town :ninja:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I'd say go north west, it's what I'm looking to do when I move back, postcodes NW2/NW6/NW10. Quite good for the City if you live anywhere between the Edgware Road/Kilburn High Road and the North Circular, with the Jubilee/Met lines. London Overground and Bakerloo line fairly close as well. Decent amount of bars around and a decent amount of space.
    Lol, but why would you want to live there?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Lol, but why would you want to live there?
    Pretty much a jolt into town. It's also infinitely cheaper than anywhere south and east of it, with a decent amount of space. Straight road out of town as well!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Pretty much a jolt into town. It's also infinitely cheaper than anywhere south and east of it, with a decent amount of space. Straight road out of town as well!
    Good points. It's very easy to get to Central London from Kilburn.

However it's also an ugly, crime-ridden (massively so), chicken shop laden, hell.

There's a reason it's so cheap.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Cheers for the location. Shoreditch is good for nightlife, though it's more expensive to live in. Are you looking to be somewhere "cheap and cheerful" or somewhere a bit more expensive?
    [/s]
    Looking for around £700 a month for a double. Really anywhere fulla studenty people getting hammered till the early hours lol.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Good points. It's very easy to get to Central London from Kilburn.

However it's also an ugly, crime-ridden (massively so), chicken shop laden, hell.

There's a reason it's so cheap.
    Going towards Cricklewood it's alright :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How about Finsbury Park or Holloway? Reasonable rents and quite close to Central London but not killer expensive. And you have good transport connections only 20 mins to West End and about 15 mins from the City (Liverpool Street). No point living in Kilburn if you are working in Liverpool Street, given that it is no better than any of the areas such Hoxton, Holloway, etc. which are much closer.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y)
    How about Finsbury Park or Holloway? Reasonable rents and quite close to Central London but not killer expensive. And you have good transport connections only 20 mins to West End and about 15 mins from the City (Liverpool Street). No point living in Kilburn if you are working in Liverpool Street, given that it is no better than any of the areas such Hoxton, Holloway, etc. which are much closer.
    Yeah alright, was just offering my tuppence on areas I like, an alternative to the usual "Shoreditch!" I found that this year, living too close was a disadvantage, really, living in Somers Town 15 minutes walk from college was tedious after the umpteenth walk across the Euston station forecourt. I shopped, ate and went out all in the same area and almost couldn't wait to leave.

But OP, if you have £700 a month to spend on rent, by all means live somewhere nicer. In fact, you could probably live in Clerkenwell for that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 9, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.