Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

using credit card as loan

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted some opinions, I switched colleges twice have just turned 19 and just finished first year of college after finally finding a good place to study, doing well so should hopefully be going to uni September 2013. I currently need £1000 for something undisclosed, I have a family member who will lend me this £1000 next June, but I need it now. I have recently got a weekend job earning around £140 a month, I have also got a credit card at 19.5%. I was wondering if it would a be a reasonable idea put this £1000 on the credit card, I can pay back £40 a month, basically:

Base: £1000
    interest = £195
    Repayments for 12 months = £480

so am I right in saying that after a year the debt will be £715 I will pay this off with the £1000 from family member so will get back £285 (covering the monthly payments I made minus the intrest), so the loan has cost me overall just £195 which is fully justified as getting the £1000 early is easily that important, also the card will not be used for any other purchases as it will be given to a family member for safe keeping.

I just wanted to check if I understand this all correctly, or if there are any better financial ideas to get £1000 a year early that costs less than £195 for the year.

thanks J

p.s please don't post with any life advice e.g don't spend money you haven't got or just wait for one year for the money. that's not what this post is about
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked to see what the minimum payment is? I should imagine it would be quite a bit lower than £40 but it's worth checking.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you really need the money now then that sounds reasonable to me, phone up your credit card company and run things through to be sure? It might be a good idea to get it confirmed that nothing will come round to bite you on the behind and if you can say you spoke to x person on x day at x time to confirm that you had it all understood they'll be able to chase it up if any wires get crossed or something goes wrong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its Amex, so is 2% of balance or £25, although paying more means I have more money left over from the £1000 I receive next year, although I think i see what you mean, it wouldn't affect the cost of interest if I paid the minimum.

and yep ringing up sounds like a good idea to just check things over.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flare z)
    Its Amex, so is 2% of balance or £25, although paying more means I have more money left over from the £1000 I receive next year, although I think i see what you mean, it wouldn't affect the cost of interest if I paid the minimum.

and yep ringing up sounds like a good idea to just check things over.
    Just saying and all but if youve qualified for an Amex card you'll be on a high income regardless so you shouldnt be needing to use it like that? May i ask which card it is though as some of their cards wont allow you to do this.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flare z)
    it wouldn't affect the cost of interest if I paid the minimum.
    Yes it would as interest is calculated on the outstanding balance every month. The less you pay back, the more interest you will pay.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not very clear what the money is for. If it's for living costs etc maybe you should consider taking a loan out from the government (not many people know of these).

These are called "crisis loans" to help you meet living costs in the short term.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneytax...me/dg_10018856

Just thought I'd throw this in, as if you apply they are far better than commercial loans!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you need the money, call your credit card company and run things without a doubt. It is great to confirm it whether they will be able to chase it up if any wires get intersected.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 11, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.