Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The Decriminalisation of Drugs in the UK.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As Ken Clarke recently brought this up, Just wondered what people thought of the prospect of a reform in the Uk law regarding Drugs in general or specific, wether it is right or possible under this government, watching this weeks Question Time to me gave the impression that no one really know what they are on about (stupid point from stock backbencher Louise mensch) I found myself siding with Jonny Rotten as the only one with a decent point to make, I say Decriminalise.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    How many people has weed killed compared to alcohol and nicotine again? :rolleyes:

Alcohol contributes to large amounts of anti-social behaviour and violence in city centres and also makes people vulnerable. I'd rather be a herbaholic than an alcoholic.

legalise it.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    To anyone with half an open mind and a couple of brain cells, the answer is pretty simple.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's so blatantly obvious that this needs to happen but I can't see it; successive governments have run such successful fear campaigns that calling for decriminalisation is effectively political suicide from an electoral point of view.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Decriminalisation will happen, the tides are turning that way. This level of illegal drug use, and essentially open drug use, is unsustainable without changing legislation. Whether I think drugs should be legalised is a different point and I dunno, I know this is an odd argument to make but selling drugs is essentially a blanket economy for people who need money but aren't getting it from the conventional economy a lot of the time. If you take it away those people need a replacement for that income and it's unclear what they'd turn to. I know a few people who say the recession is hurting their dealing so they're moving on to odd jobs, carjacking, loan sharking and all kinds of ****, I'd expect an increase in muggings and burglaries, a new focus of attention on human trafficking, prescription meds etc from bigger gangs. Until the reasons for why people are working in drugs are addressed you can't just remove the industry from the street and put it in the shops
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    I know this is an odd argument to make but selling drugs is essentially a blanket economy for people who need money but aren't getting it from the conventional economy a lot of the time. If you take it away those people need a replacement for that income and it's unclear what they'd turn to. I know a few people who say the recession is hurting their dealing so they're moving on to odd jobs, carjacking, loan sharking and all kinds of ****, I'd expect an increase in muggings and burglaries, a new focus of attention on human trafficking, prescription meds etc from bigger gangs. Until the reasons for why people are working in drugs are addressed you can't just remove the industry from the street and put it in the shops
    True. Unemployment is terrible where I am at the moment. I do know some people who resort to dealing drugs. They feel rejected from white mainstream society and need money desperately. Dealing just seems like the most realistic and easiest option for a few. They've been told they weren't **** all their lives and thats what they believe.

You don't go into dealing drugs. Often enough you end up dealing drugs.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I cant ever see it happening in all honestly. Everyone knows that drugs fund criminal organisations but the goverment cannot be seen to endorse it, and thus we are stuck in this awkward situation where drugs are freely available but the white market gains nothing from the movment of drugs.

I mean whoever thinks the war on drugs is slowly working is a fool. You can buy heroin on the internet and have it sent to your door by post. It has failed people.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatfis)
    Just wondered what people thought of the prospect of a reform in the Uk law regarding Drugs in general or specific
    Well with Murdoch on side its inevitable surely. :curious:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...s-in-poll.html

We moved a small step towards decriminalisation in Feb with the new sentencing guidelines. If everyone keeps/starts growing then the enforcement of these will soon also become unsustainable.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The first thing I'm gonna do when drugs are decriminalised is inject heroin into my eyeball.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    The first thing I'm gonna do when drugs are decriminalised is inject heroin into my eyeball.
    Well okay, but just be safe about it.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not all of them surely.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Not all of them surely.
    Why not?

Surely people can be educated about the harm each substance can cause and about the doses their body can tolerate rather than simply letting those who want the illegal ones obtain them from pushers?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Decriminalisation will happen, the tides are turning that way. This level of illegal drug use, and essentially open drug use, is unsustainable without changing legislation. Whether I think drugs should be legalised is a different point and I dunno, I know this is an odd argument to make but selling drugs is essentially a blanket economy for people who need money but aren't getting it from the conventional economy a lot of the time. If you take it away those people need a replacement for that income and it's unclear what they'd turn to. I know a few people who say the recession is hurting their dealing so they're moving on to odd jobs, carjacking, loan sharking and all kinds of ****, I'd expect an increase in muggings and burglaries, a new focus of attention on human trafficking, prescription meds etc from bigger gangs. Until the reasons for why people are working in drugs are addressed you can't just remove the industry from the street and put it in the shops
    Dis such a libertarian argument when you think about it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about that. I am a prophet and I have just received an eleventh commandmend from the bigman himself for you:

''Thou shalt not inject decriminalised heroin into your eyeballs''

Sorted. next please!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkeevin)
    Why not?

Surely people can be educated about the harm each substance can cause and about the doses their body can tolerate rather than simply letting those who want the illegal ones obtain them from pushers?
    What about people that get high then go on to do "harm" to others around them? Or accidentally get themselves killed?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    What about people that get high then go on to do "harm" to others around them? Or accidentally get themselves killed?
    Making them illegal has not solved that problem since majority of criminals(peope who do harm?) are also druggies. Junkies atimes get themselves killed accidentally due bad quality of the drugs or lack of proper dosage. People intending to kill themselves will do it regardless of the legality of the substance since supply is ever present despite criminalisation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You mean like alcohol does, and more so than any other drug on the face of the Earth?

Next.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Decriminalise them, yes, but most of them we would be better off just legalising.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When somebody takes a drug, it is their decision to do so, and with the right education the imperfect information can be almost eliminated meaning that the person can analyse the risks and choose whether or not to take them. At present, the drug war means that many suffer without taking the drug. People who are trafficked from around the world into this country and made to work as slaves are the perfect example. The massive murder rates in mexico due to drug gangs are another. If it is made legal, the market could be regulated, removing the majority of suffering by people who have not made the decision to risk taking a drug. The number of people affected by the altered minds of the users would be negligible relative to the current amount suffering indirectly as a result of drug use.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 14, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.