The Student Room Group

Strange situation

I currently have an offer to start University studying Psychology this September after completing an access course. My husband is due to start an access course this year in the hope of going on to University in 2013. A few weeks ago my husband went to an Open day at a University and got speaking to a lecturer who provided him with an email address to send details of his access course to check that it would be suitable for the degree. He sent the lecturer the course details and the lecturer asked for him to send back a C.V which he did. Anyway yesterday my husband received an email from the lecturer stating that he is willing to offer him a place on the foundation year of the degree this year as long as he achieves a B in his Maths GCSE that he took this year and is waiting for the results for. He was then contacted by the admissions staff and told that as it is so late that he would need to send in a direct application form on the day he receives his results with scanned proof of his results instead of going through UCAS as it is so late.
There are a few things that I am now curious of. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Does this mean that he definitely has a place as long as he receives the B in the Maths GCSE as it is not going through UCAS? The person on the phone told him that there will definitely be a place kept for him until the GCSE results come out but as it is not through UCAS, I am just a bit concerned that it could get to the day and they say sorry but all places are gone etc. Also if he misses the grade and gets a C not a B, do you think that there is a chance that he will still receive the place.
One last thing that is worrying me is the fact that my student finance was fully processed and I was entitled to the adult dependents grant for my husband as technically he would have had no income this year with doing the access course. As he has now applied for student finance, this has now caused my student finance to be reprocessed and am a bit concerned with how late it is whether or not it will be done in time for when I start University and whether his will be processed on time. Also as we will lose the adult dependents grant once it is processed, if anything happens and he does not received the place then possibly this could completely delay my student finance even further as it would have to be processed again.
Any advice that any one could give me would be greatly appreciated. We are still both in shock by it as he expected to start the access course like me this year and now it appears that he could be starting University this year at the same time as me!
Same situation no, similar yes in that the fact your husband has been advised he can get a place without doing Acces because other factors including career were taken into consideration.
All the unis we spoke to in advance stated evidence of recent (last 3 years) study was required. We applied anyway based upon what we already have and received offers 5 choices each, 9 offers.

Yes you will lose the Adult dependents grant. It is not available to two students. If you were claiming for an elderly parent as the dependant adult then you will get the adult dependant grant shared between you.

Do you have dependent kids ?

You will need the approval statement from SFE saying you are both eligable for and have been awarded the Fee loan (unless you can afford 54K between you.) in order to matriculate. If you do not matriculate then your student finance is not paid, so ask the uni how that situation will be handled, not only your husbands, but but yours, as it will change to unapproved as described above.

Good luck and I hope all the above work out and he gets his GCSE B.

Based upon our experience I cannot see how you will get student finance sorted in time and I think applying outside of UCAS will make it even slower. So your initial payments maybe delayed by a week or two, however ALF can assist you cope with any delay in the mainteance component of your funding.

The only point I would make is that the Adult Dependant grant would be lost anyway next year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by evening sunrise
Same situation no, similar yes in that the fact your husband has been advised he can get a place without doing Acces because other factors including career were taken into consideration.
All the unis we spoke to in advance stated evidence of recent (last 3 years) study was required. We applied anyway based upon what we already have and received offers 5 choices each, 9 offers.

Yes you will lose the Adult dependents grant. It is not available to two students. If you were claiming for an elderly parent as the dependant adult then you will get the adult dependant grant shared between you.

Do you have dependent kids ?

You will need the approval statement from SFE saying you are both eligable for and have been awarded the Fee loan (unless you can afford 54K between you.) in order to matriculate. If you do not matriculate then your student finance is not paid, so ask the uni how that situation will be handled, not only your husbands, but but yours, as it will change to unapproved as described above.

Good luck and I hope all the above work out and he gets his GCSE B.

Based upon our experience I cannot see how you will get student finance sorted in time and I think applying outside of UCAS will make it even slower. So your initial payments maybe delayed by a week or two, however ALF can assist you cope with any delay in the mainteance component of your funding.

The only point I would make is that the Adult Dependant grant would be lost anyway next year.

Thank you for the advice. Yes we do have dependant children. I have spoken to student finance this morning and they have said that my student finance should be sorted out by next week as it is just a case of removing the adult dependants grant as you said and that my husbands should be processed within 4 weeks. They have said that as my student finance was already approved that I should still receive it on time so that is positive news.

The main thing that I am curious about is whether this is a genuine offer or whether it could get to that date and then he is still turned down anyway. I have applied through UCAS for my place so it is pretty straight forward but as he is applying directly to the University, I was just curious how that will stand.
Original post by Determined*
Thank you for the advice. Yes we do have dependant children. I have spoken to student finance this morning and they have said that my student finance should be sorted out by next week as it is just a case of removing the adult dependants grant as you said and that my husbands should be processed within 4 weeks. They have said that as my student finance was already approved that I should still receive it on time so that is positive news.

The main thing that I am curious about is whether this is a genuine offer or whether it could get to that date and then he is still turned down anyway. I have applied through UCAS for my place so it is pretty straight forward but as he is applying directly to the University, I was just curious how that will stand.

Obviously your finance will change to a special support grant if your husband becomes a student and receives SFE funding. You both should receive a special support grant and a learning parent allowance. Plus the full loan each as the SSG does not reduce the loan like a maintainance grant does.

They told my wife and I that it would take 4 weeks, that was from mid march until last week.......

Good luck
Reply 4
The offer on the foundation year, which is effectively an Access year at university, the difference being it is tailored towards the needs of the follow on course. So if your husband has a change of heart about where to complete his degree, he may have fewer options.

University applications are down this year, most 18 year olds do not apply for foundation courses because the already have sufficient qualifications to start a degree. Entrance qualifications are stricter for under 21 year olds. Universities are allowed to waive level 3 qualifications for over 21 year olds with relevant work life experience. It sounds like your husband's CV was sufficient. Universities can also accept direct applications, they choose to use UCAS for their conventional recruitment because it allows the have a better idea of how many students are likely to take up the place. Before UCAS or it's predecessor UCCA, a university could easily end up oversubscribed or undersubscribed, they would only find out on enrollment day.

Have the university made your husband a formal offer in writing? If they have then subject to him meeting the offer criteria, his place should be secure. If they are offering him place at this stage, they have space for clearing. If they haven't confirmed it in writing, get them to do so, then if your husband gets his Maths GCSE, he will get the place. Even if you put in a UCAS application in now, it would not be sent to the university until clearing opens after the A level results.

For peace of mind, get the application form now, fill it out and submit it with everything but the GCSE result. When your husband gets his results, submit the result with a copy of the application.

Someone I know made a late application, the week before the course started and secured a place on the course they wanted at university. They just made a phone call to confirm they had places available and a check to see if their qualications were acceptable. Universities can cope late with late applications if they want to. What they are asking you to do, is not dissimilar to the process used for clearing, except you not UCAS seHnds the application through.

By the sound of it, you still have the insurance policy of the Access course place, so don't give that up until the final confirmation comes through from the university.

Out of interest, how much is the university charging for the foundation year, as compared with the Access course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Obviously your finance will change to a special support grant if your husband becomes a student and receives SFE funding. You both should receive a special support grant and a learning parent allowance. Plus the full loan each as the SSG does not reduce the loan like a maintainance grant does.

They told my wife and I that it would take 4 weeks, that was from mid march until last week.......

Good luck

That is rather worrying that it took that long then! Hopefully it will be sorted in time as there are still over 6 weeks until September so will just keep our fingers crossed. I spoke to Student Finance again and they have informed me that as I already have my confirmation letter, I can use that to enroll at the uni if the other letter has not shownn up in time and they have informed me that my husband will be able to enroll even without the letter so now have just sent off all of his evidence today and just hoping that it all gets sorted out in time.
Thanks again for all of the help and advice.
Reply 6
Original post by edjunkie
The offer on the foundation year, which is effectively an Access year at university, the difference being it is tailored towards the needs of the follow on course. So if your husband has a change of heart about where to complete his degree, he may have fewer options.

University applications are down this year, most 18 year olds do not apply for foundation courses because the already have sufficient qualifications to start a degree. Entrance qualifications are stricter for under 21 year olds. Universities are allowed to waive level 3 qualifications for over 21 year olds with relevant work life experience. It sounds like your husband's CV was sufficient. Universities can also accept direct applications, they choose to use UCAS for their conventional recruitment because it allows the have a better idea of how many students are likely to take up the place. Before UCAS or it's predecessor UCCA, a university could easily end up oversubscribed or undersubscribed, they would only find out on enrollment day.

Have the university made your husband a formal offer in writing? If they have then subject to him meeting the offer criteria, his place should be secure. If they are offering him place at this stage, they have space for clearing. If they haven't confirmed it in writing, get them to do so, then if your husband gets his Maths GCSE, he will get the place. Even if you put in a UCAS application in now, it would not be sent to the university until clearing opens after the A level results.

For peace of mind, get the application form now, fill it out and submit it with everything but the GCSE result. When your husband gets his results, submit the result with a copy of the application.

Someone I know made a late application, the week before the course started and secured a place on the course they wanted at university. They just made a phone call to confirm they had places available and a check to see if their qualications were acceptable. Universities can cope late with late applications if they want to. What they are asking you to do, is not dissimilar to the process used for clearing, except you not UCAS seHnds the application through.

By the sound of it, you still have the insurance policy of the Access course place, so don't give that up until the final confirmation comes through from the university.

Out of interest, how much is the university charging for the foundation year, as compared with the Access course.

Thank you very much for the information. It is very helpful and reassuring indeed. To be honest from the email, I am not sure if he has a written formal offer or not. The email said that we will be willing to give you a place on the foundation year of the course, starting this September as long as you achieve a B in your Maths GCSE. My husband also asked the lady on the phone whether there is a chance that all of the places could be taken as the A Level results come out before the GCSE results and they said not to worry as they are keeping him a place open until he provides them with his results. She also sent him an email with the application form and asked him to email it back on results day with a scanned copy of his Maths GCSE result as they can only process it once he has his Maths result so am not sure whether this all means that he has a formal offer or whether there is still a chance that they could say no. However, the lady on the phone told him to sort out student finance and mentioned about the fact that he might not get accomodation as it is so late, although this is not a problem as we live locally but I can't see why they would do all of this if they had not made him a offer so am not sure what to think?

The course costs are the same as the first year of the degree so it is a lot more expensive but it gives him the guaranteed entry onto the first year of the degree as long as he passes it. This is very beneficial as it is at the University that we live closest to and the one that he really wanted to go to so would be a lot better for him than doing the access course as he would have the guaranteed place. That is very positive to hear that this has happened to other people and ended positively though so thank you for that information.

One other thing that we are concerned about is the fact that as they have said to him to achieve a B in the Maths GCSE, if worst things come to worst and he ends up receiving a C, do you think that there is any chance that he will still be given the place? On the entry requirements on their website it does state that it is a C in the maths GCSE that they require so not sure if it was a mistake in the email or whether they have raised it as he does not have any level 3 qualifications. He has also taken a Science GCSE this year which he is predicted between A-B as he received an A* in the coursework so if he does get a C in the Maths then could this go in his favour?

At the end of the day though, he is guaranteed a place on the access course so he does have that to fall back on still if all goes wrong. This has all just happened really quickly so it is all very new to us at the moment so just like to know where we stand. Thanks again for all of the help :smile:
Unless the email contains some kind of disclaimer in the footer or similar then based upon what you described that email constitutes a conditional offer of a place on the foundation year.

You can enter into a binding agreement via email, even an informally worded and constructed one, which is why in a commercial context precise and accurate wording in emails is essential.

All the best
Reply 8
Unless the email contains some kind of disclaimer in the footer or similar then based upon what you described that email constitutes a conditional offer of a place on the foundation year.

You can enter into a binding agreement via email, even an informally worded and constructed one, which is why in a commercial context precise and accurate wording in emails is essential.

All the best

Thank you very much for the information again. He contacted them a little while ago to double check that it is definitely a conditional offer and is waiting to hear back. Worried about emailing them so much that they change their mind lol but hopefully they will respond shortly. What you have said though is what we thought and were hoping so that is very assuring. Thank you :smile:
Reply 9
If he gets a C instead of a B, give them a call and see what they say. They are at the behest of Gove getting stricter about GCSE Maths and English. But if they need to fill the course, he may get lucky.

Well at least your husband will be eligible for student finance for the foundation year unlike an Access course. Which at least means repayment is defered until you meet the earnings thresholds. Once he has secured his place, it is worth checking if he would be eligible for any additional funding in year 1, for doing well on the foundation year from the university.

Good Luck.
Reply 10
Original post by edjunkie
If he gets a C instead of a B, give them a call and see what they say. They are at the behest of Gove getting stricter about GCSE Maths and English. But if they need to fill the course, he may get lucky.

Well at least your husband will be eligible for student finance for the foundation year unlike an Access course. Which at least means repayment is defered until you meet the earnings thresholds. Once he has secured his place, it is worth checking if he would be eligible for any additional funding in year 1, for doing well on the foundation year from the university.

Good Luck.

Thanks again for the advice. He emailed the University earlier today and asked them whether it definitely is a conditional offer or if there is any chance that he can still be turned down. He also asked whether it is definitely a B needed in the Maths GCSE as their website states a C for this particular course. I was slightly concerned about him emailing incase they got funny about it but I suppose you never know the facts unless you ask. They did not reply this afternoon but hopefully he will hear something back tomorrow.

I suppose like you said he can only hope for the best and hopefully he will achieve the B but if he does get a C then hopefully they will still have enough places to accept him.

Like you said, he gets the student finance for the first year which is an added bonus and the University does a higher bursary for anyone on the foundation year of a degree which is an added bonus. There is also an excellence award for each year of the degree for anyone that receives high grades so all good points.

Thanks again for all of the help and advice :smile:
Reply 11
Just a quick update. My husband heard back from the University today and they have informed him that he should return the application form which they have emailed him asap and then he will receive his official offer letter so he is going to take it in to them directly tomorrow.
They have also confirmed that it is in fact a C that he needs to achieve on the Maths GCSE and not a B. The B is needed for the first year of the degree and a C is needed for the foundation year so it was just a mix up on the email.
So all really positive news. So now he has just got to return the application form tomorrow and hopefully he will have his official offer letter shortly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending