The Student Room Group

Business Studies Graduate

Hi All,

I've finalised a four year course in Business Studies (including a year in industry as a Trainee Business Manager), and achieved First Class Honours.

I'm finding jobs that I am going for at the moment are around £20,000 (in Accountancy and Finance). I always thought I would be earning more than that after four years.

I could have missed out going to University altogether and gone through a more direct route; gaining experience.

Am I thinking of the wrong career path? I have not got my heart set on finance, but rather I would be versatile in the area of business that I undertook (since I enjoy most areas).

Which would be the best paid or career progression job in your experience?

Thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 1
Well there are plenty of jobs on more then £20,000, but obviously that increases competition.

With regards to grad jobs, don't look at the starting salary, look at the progression. You mention accounting, but have you considered that accountancy salaries tend to significantly increase once qualified? So if you find a 20k job willing to train you (ACA/ACCA), then that is a big investment by the company in you that can't simply be summed up with a '20k' salary.
Original post by kyleball
Hi All,

I've finalised a four year course in Business Studies (including a year in industry as a Trainee Business Manager), and achieved First Class Honours.

I'm finding jobs that I am going for at the moment are around £20,000 (in Accountancy and Finance). I always thought I would be earning more than that after four years.

I could have missed out going to University altogether and gone through a more direct route; gaining experience.

Am I thinking of the wrong career path? I have not got my heart set on finance, but rather I would be versatile in the area of business that I undertook (since I enjoy most areas).

Which would be the best paid or career progression job in your experience?

Thanks for any help :smile:

I'm applying for the same general area as you right now - finance & insurance. I'd probably say that it doesn't matter what you're FIRST job is, as long as you pick up essential skills that you can make your CV a little better with. It's fantastic if you can get into a great company with a great training scheme but it's not the end of the world if you get into a small company with less than £20k.

At the end of the day, you want experience and relatively small gaps on your CV. Career progression wise, once you've trained and achieved an ACA/ACCA/whatever then it's pretty easy to switch into different sectors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending