Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Mary is always drawn wearing a headscarf and Jesus in a long white gown.

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have not seen a picture of Mary, mother of Jesus, in a picture where her hair is showing. And in all the drawings of Jesus, he is wearing a long white gown and has a rather big beard.

Why is this?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because that was God commandments, unfortunately, some Christians bent the rules
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do not trust any of these 'images' of Jesus.
    He's often depicted as having long hair, which is described as a 'dishonour' to a man in 1 Corinthians.
    He's often depicted as having pale skin, which is clearly wrong.
    Plus, there's a reason for the second commandment!

They just want to give a false image of Jesus and Mary, and unfortunately they've succeeded.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...Who honestly cares?

If you want I'll draw you one on MS paint.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    The depiction of Jesus is down to the shroud of Turin and Mary due to ideas about women, I'd assume.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Do not trust any of these 'images' of Jesus.
    He's often depicted as having long hair, which is described as a 'dishonour' to a man in 1 Corinthians.
    He's often depicted as having pale skin, which is clearly wrong.
    Plus, there's a reason for the second commandment!

They just want to give a false image of Jesus and Mary, and unfortunately they've succeeded.
    "Don't cut your hair nor shave. (Leviticus 19:27)"

Hm, funny.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Artistic license.

No-one knows exactly what they looked like or what they wore so images of them have been developed over centuries until there's a highly recognisable kind of trade mark image.

Having Mary with her hair covered is almost certainly fairly accurate for where and when she lived. The fact that she is often painted in blue is from the fact that before the development of artificial pigments blue was the most expensive colour. And Mary, as the mother of Jesus was painted in the most expensive colour to show how much she was venerated and how pious the painter or the commissoner of the image was.

And as to Jesus being in a long white robe, well white suggests purity and holiness and a simple shapeless robe emphasises his lack of concern with worldy finery etc.

As to the beard thing, in actual fact if you look more closely the beard is more often well kept and quite short, not big and bushy. After all no-one would paint a messy looking jesus.

Why he is always painted with a beard I don't know, but again it's probably fairly accurate for the time.

People also often question why Jesus and Mary are often depicted as white which is not accurate. And to answer that I refer again to the fact that the images we recognise as being them were developed over centuries of western art. This artwork would have been done by white people in white countries so they painted them to look like how they viewed them. After all they'd never seen anyone who wasn't white.

They are painted white for the same reason that statues of the buddha made in China have chinese eyes when he was in fact Indian. Because people often identify better with those who look like them and that extends to holy figures.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The icons of Mary which show her wearing a headscarf is a representation of the ideal wife and mother. The covering of the hair is seen as the covering of shame. I think the colour blue - the colour of her robes - was used because it was associated with royalty, and she was Theotokos, afterall. But I think because the first images of the blue robed mary come from the Byzantine era, I think that the blue was used in this depiction because of its association with sorrow.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    She'd just washed her hair so wrapped it up, and he was ready for bed
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    because these are ancient semetic clothing traditions adopted by early middle ages christians (and muslims)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Check his Facebook Timeline.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you saw a man white a white long gown and a big beard and a woman with her hair covered you'd probably think they were a Muslim wouldn't you? lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    I have not seen a picture of Mary, mother of Jesus, in a picture where her hair is showing. And in all the drawings of Jesus, he is wearing a long white gown and has a rather big beard.

Why is this?
    Mary was Jewish, I think married Jewish women need to cover their hair.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    tbh, one thing is for sure.
    Jesus ain't white, he'll be more asian as he live in the east
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Why is this?
    Just stylistic standards to indicate who they are in images through the history of art. Likewise the concept of a gold ring depicting a holy person, the various animals that accompany the gospel writers, john the baptists waist-coat etc. etc.

Nothing of religious significance it's just how artists particularly in the renaissance depicted characters to make them known without clearly naming them. Monsters and heroes had very similar standardising in the ancient world on pots and in statues before.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Why is this?
    Romanticised Renaissance artwork.

Modern studies have found that Jesus more probably had a bulgy-ish, wide-set heads like other skeletons from that period in that region have been.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 12, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.