The Student Room Group

Devastated right now?

I and my friend applied for for Uni of Sheffield for the same master course at the same time.

We are both from New Zealand and we graduated with the same Bachelor Degree. My overall grades was slightly above average (around 68%) while my friend failed almost 1 year worth of credit hour. His average should be no more than 50% (around 40-49%) according to his CGPA equivalent.

I failed to secure an offer while my friend got an unconditional offer?

What the hell?

I wrote an e-mail to the university and asked why i was rejected. However till this day (1month) i did not get any response from the university.

I don't know what to do right now. I am currently on my holiday tour around SEA, and i am just so frustrated right now.

Add on :- However, i got an offer to Nottingham Trent though.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DKDarkKnight
I and my friend applied for for Uni of Sheffield for the same master course at the same time.

What the hell?

Different Personal Statements
Different Work Experience
Different other experiences

Different
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem

Different

We both have 0 work experience and 0 on other experience..

Personal Statements are different but i am confident that my personal statement isn't bad at all.
Reply 3
We both have 0 work experience and 0 on other experience..

Personal Statements are different but i am confident that my personal statement isn't bad at all.

Their decision can be subjective :frown:
Reply 4
Take the offer for Nottingham? Don't need to be with your mate the whole time do you, they aren't that far away from each other either.
Reply 5
Original post by Pitt1988
Take the offer for Nottingham? Don't need to be with your mate the whole time do you, they aren't that far away from each other either.

It's not about being with my mate, but i was just devastated from the outcome.

Initially, i worried that "HE" could not enter Uni of Sheffield due to his results.

When i received an e-mail saying that i was rejected, i was so sure his application would be rejected as well.

Now he is offered to study in a Russell Group uni while i am not.
Reply 6
Sheffield and Nottingham are very close, so that shouldn't be a problem. 20 minutes on the train? Just under an hour by car/bus.

Trents fine, You'll enjoy it. The nightlife's better too :wink:
Reply 7
Their decision can be subjective :frown:

When i got rejected, my first thought was "wow" Sheffield entry requirement must be very high.

But when my friend got it, my mind went blank.
Reply 8
When i got rejected, my first thought was "wow" Sheffield entry requirement must be very high.

But when my friend got it, my mind went blank.

Hmmmmmm

It maybe that there was simply something in his PS that caught the eye of the admissions people

:frown:
Reply 9
I find that very strange OP. Are you sure about your friend's final CGPA, that the failed credit had that much of an impact? 68% would secure a place on quite a few Cambridge postgrad programmes, so perhaps your references or personal statement let you down? Personally I don't think personal statements are that important for PG study, although perhaps Sheffield, and your course, put more emphasis on them than other places. Who did you ask to write your academic references, and what is your relationship with them like?

If you're that upset then keep pressing the university (politely) for feedback, maybe contact the course director rather than a generic 'Graduate Studies'-type email address, if you haven't done so already?
It's not about being with my mate, but i was just devastated from the outcome.

Initially, i worried that "HE" could not enter Uni of Sheffield due to his results.

When i received an e-mail saying that i was rejected, i was so sure his application would be rejected as well.

Now he is offered to study in a Russell Group uni while i am not.

Don't look at it that way, it may turn out that you would've hated the life in Sheffield if you haven't already visited. Stay positive considering you already have an offer, there's more that life can offer and plenty more opportunities to take.

You could look at reapplying next year but then again, you already have an offer so this is a point to consider.

Good luck.
Reply 11

We are both from New Zealand and we graduated with the same Bachelor Degree. My overall grades was slightly above average (around 68%) while my friend failed almost 1 year worth of credit hour. His average should be no more than 50% (around 40-49%) according to his CGPA equivalent.

What the hell?

I wrote an e-mail to the university and asked why i was rejected. However till this day (1month) i did not get any response from the university.

I don't know what to do right now. I am currently on my holiday tour around SEA, and i am just so frustrated right now.

Add on :- However, i got an offer to Nottingham Trent though.

No hating man, no hating, he's your friend just be happy for him, and beside you've also got a place at a different uni. Just take it as fate, it will become a little more clearer with time.:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by gutenberg
I find that very strange OP. Are you sure about your friend's final CGPA, that the failed credit had that much of an impact? 68% would secure a place on quite a few Cambridge postgrad programmes, so perhaps your references or personal statement let you down? Personally I don't think personal statements are that important for PG study, although perhaps Sheffield, and your course, put more emphasis on them than other places. Who did you ask to write your academic references, and what is your relationship with them like?

If you're that upset then keep pressing the university (politely) for feedback, maybe contact the course director rather than a generic 'Graduate Studies'-type email address, if you haven't done so already?

My friend failed 1 year worth of credit hour, which would be around 7-8 papers. His CGPA is equivalent to 40-49%. (NZ passing grade is 50%)

NZ does not have Honors for our 3 years Bachelor and it is said that my grade is between 2:1 to 2:2 UK equivalent.

I highly doubt i stand a chance in getting a spot in Cambridge.

My tutor wrote my academic references. Why? Does Academic reference gave so much weight on their decision?

I've sent an e-mail to the university a month ago but i still haven't got a reply.

I've decided to accept nottingham trent as i don't have much time left to apply visa and for other preparation.

Maybe I am just letting off some steam.. don't know how i should feel right now.. Envy, Jealous, Unfairly treated maybe .. i don't know.. maybe i should just enjoy my holiday trip right now and just look forward to nottingham trent..
Try not to get mugged at Nottingham.
My friend failed 1 year worth of credit hour, which would be around 7-8 papers. His CGPA is equivalent to 40-49%. (NZ passing grade is 50%)

NZ does not have Honors for our 3 years Bachelor and it is said that my grade is between 2:1 to 2:2 UK equivalent.

Ah, I don't know anything about the NZ grading system :redface: However, if your grade doesn't translate to a UK 2.1 then I can perhaps see why Sheffield rejected you, as many courses stipulate a 2.1 (or equivalent) as the minimum required (with some asking for a high 2.1 for particular courses). However that makes the fact that your friend was accepted with even lower grades all the more strange, I'm still highly confused.

My tutor wrote my academic references. Why? Does Academic reference gave so much weight on their decision?

Yes, academic references can be very important, especially if you are a 'borderline' case and they aren't sure whether to accept you or not. A poor reference can be fatal for an application, and equally a very good reference can help overcome deficiencies elsewhere, though not always: the judgment of an impartial, confidential,and qualified referee can be hugely indicative of a student's potential. I don't know if there is a way of finding out exactly what sank your application, I know there is a way of getting access to references and so on, although I think your referee(s) is informed if you request to see them.

All of this still doesn't explain how your friend was accepted and you weren't though, it really doesn't add up...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
The whole thing is a little baffling to be honest ... Although don't dwell on it, Nottingham in my opinion is an amazing city and whilst Notts trent isnt a Russell Group uni it's still a good university! The city has amazing nightlife (Better than sheffield in my opinion), a LOT of history and is a gateway too many other great cities in the UK an hour south on a train and you're in London, you have Derby & Leicester 20 minutes away which are great in their own ways! Dont be discouraged by users saying Nottinghams a dangerous place, it's like any major city known for crime, those who get 'stabbed/shot' (Which isnt that often at all i.e. a tiny handfull of times a year) is because they're involved in criminal activity themselves.. And Sheffield is a mere 20 minute train! See the move to the UK as a huge oppertunity! I'm sorry you didnt get what you wanted! I really am! But i can only wish you the best of luck!
Reply 16

Different

Want me to fill in the blank or something? I'll go with different Star-signs, yeh gotta be that...
Original post by Lamps08
Want me to fill in the blank

What blank?
Reply 18
What blank?

You can't just say Different, that's retarded.
Original post by Alpharius
. 20 minutes on the train?

About an hour weirdly...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending