The Student Room Group

Official gappies 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alt31
wahhhh all my friends have started heading off to uni now
i said i wouldn't get emotional, cause it would be pointless to go to uni just so you aren't left out,
BUT IT'S SO SAD :cry2:
getting lonely

AND i haven't sorted any travelling out :unimpressed: parents have booked a week away in both october and feb (younger bro still at school = half term) which is amazing but that, along with resits majorly blocks out up until end of feb...

also, for people looking for jobs have you tried golf clubs/sports clubs? often these places have a bar that seem to be nearly always looking for work
:h:

Know how you feel, really getting the gap year blues :frown:

I need to save up first for my travelling! but yeah resits really are messing things up, determined to get them out of the way in Jan or it'll mess up the summer plans aswell

Don't think where I live is likely to have a golf club :tongue:
Reply 61
Original post by Cutmeloose
Know how you feel, really getting the gap year blues :frown:

I need to save up first for my travelling! but yeah resits really are messing things up, determined to get them out of the way in Jan or it'll mess up the summer plans aswell

Don't think where I live is likely to have a golf club :tongue:

sports clubs? community centres? :tongue: check on the job centre website
Original post by alt31
sports clubs? community centres? :tongue: check on the job centre website

Ah I have a job at the moment which pays decently )7.50p/h) but been there for a year, so bored out of my mind.

Already counting the days to freshers 2013 :biggrin: Have you filled in your UCAS? and are you completely rewriting your PS? Mine was pretty good, so I'd hate to rewrite it just for the sake of it, except for including my plans for the year and reflecting on my mishaps.
Reply 63
Ah I have a job at the moment which pays decently )7.50p/h) but been there for a year, so bored out of my mind.

Already counting the days to freshers 2013 :biggrin: Have you filled in your UCAS? and are you completely rewriting your PS? Mine was pretty good, so I'd hate to rewrite it just for the sake of it, except for including my plans for the year and reflecting on my mishaps.

wow, thats quite good - what do you do?!

Started, not finished yet though
nahhh only going to edit it, mine was also quite good last year :tongue:
Original post by alt31
wow, thats quite good - what do you do?!

Started, not finished yet though
nahhh only going to edit it, mine was also quite good last year :tongue:

I think it's because I live in London? All I do is work at Waitrose!

Ah good to know I'm not alone! hopefully I can send it before the month's over? Are you sitting your exams at college or externally? I need to sort out my centre before I can send mine:s-smilie:
Original post by alt31
wahhhh all my friends have started heading off to uni now
i said i wouldn't get emotional, cause it would be pointless to go to uni just so you aren't left out,
BUT IT'S SO SAD :cry2:
getting lonely

AND i haven't sorted any travelling out :unimpressed: parents have booked a week away in both october and feb (younger bro still at school = half term) which is amazing but that, along with resits majorly blocks out up until end of feb...

also, for people looking for jobs have you tried golf clubs/sports clubs? often these places have a bar that seem to be nearly always looking for work
:h:

Friends at uni is actually a good excuse to go visiting :ninja: See some of the UK whilst you are working :p:

Plus it makes time go fast because holidays seem to be every other week and because they aren't all identical, there is reading weeks and what not someone always seems to be at home.
Reply 66
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Friends at uni is actually a good excuse to go visiting :ninja: See some of the UK whilst you are working :p:

Plus it makes time go fast because holidays seem to be every other week and because they aren't all identical, there is reading weeks and what not someone always seems to be at home.

oh yeah I'm definitely visiting, just have to sort my schedule out - about 10 places i need to go to :wink:
Reply 67
Anyone else hating on online job application as much as me? They all take like 40 minutes to complete only for an automated rejection the next day :angry:
Any gappies from London? feeling so lonely :frown:

Original post by Naami
Anyone else hating on online job application as much as me? They all take like 40 minutes to complete only for an automated rejection the next day :angry:

Yeah, I'm feeling lucky to already have a job. These things are so random the job I managed to get a job from came from an application form riddled with spelling mistakes.
Reply 69
Any gappies from London? feeling so lonely :frown:

Yeah, I'm feeling lucky to already have a job. These things are so random the job I managed to get a job from came from an application form riddled with spelling mistakes.

I'm from London :-) I really hope luck finds me sometime soon
Original post by Naami
I'm from London :-) I really hope luck finds me sometime soon

Ah yay! where had you hoped to go?

Just keep trying!
Reply 71
Ah yay! where had you hoped to go?

Just keep trying!

For Uni? I didn't apply last year as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do plus I got horrid AS grades (BCEE). I'm hoping to apply for Chemistry at Birmingham, Liverpool, York, Sheffield and Nottingham (I'm not really sure about Nottingham and Sheffield though). How about you?
Original post by Naami
For Uni? I didn't apply last year as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do plus I got horrid AS grades (BCEE). I'm hoping to apply for Chemistry at Birmingham, Liverpool, York, Sheffield and Nottingham (I'm not really sure about Nottingham and Sheffield though). How about you?

Ah ok yeah I meant uni! missed my offers for LSE and UCL. Got AAB instead of A*AA/AAA. Doing a few resits and re-applying for Nottingham, Warwick, Durham and a few others!
Reply 73
Ah ok yeah I meant uni! missed my offers for LSE and UCL. Got AAB instead of A*AA/AAA. Doing a few resits and re-applying for Nottingham, Warwick, Durham and a few others!

Wow you must have been gutted :frown: AAB is what I needed to apply lol. How many resits you doing altogether?
Original post by Naami
Wow you must have been gutted :frown: AAB is what I needed to apply lol. How many resits you doing altogether?

Yep I was..still am really. My summer exams just went terrible, got Cs and low Bs in almost every exam. Did have some extenuating circumstances though. I'm probably going to do an unnecessary amount of 6. Trying to go to A*AA or better. Planning on doing 3 for Economics then my A2 Politics units which is 2 and my English Lit exam, since I got 90UMS in 3/4 exams then flopped the last exam, and nearly ended up with a B overall! I'm planning to go travel so I really want to get them out of the way in January, then I can do a few more months of full time work and then quit!

What about you? Did you not fancy the idea of clearing? lots of strong unis had their sciences course there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 75
Wish I'd stumbled across a thread like this last year- longest 15 months of my life -.-

You all sound considerably more prepared of course. Just one tip: revise your old text books. Or you'll end up flat on your arse when you do finally start, like me.
Original post by heimlich
Wish I'd stumbled across a thread like this last year- longest 15 months of my life -.-

You all sound considerably more prepared of course. Just one tip: revise your old text books. Or you'll end up flat on your arse when you do finally start, like me.

How did things turn out during the year for you?
Reply 77
Yep I was..still am really. My summer exams just went terrible, got Cs and low Bs in almost every exam. Did have some extenuating circumstances though. I'm probably going to do an unnecessary amount of 6. Trying to go to A*AA or better. Planning on doing 3 for Economics then my A2 Politics units which is 2 and my English Lit exam, since I got 90UMS in 3/4 exams then flopped the last exam, and nearly ended up with a B overall! I'm planning to go travel so I really want to get them out of the way in January, then I can do a few more months of full time work and then quit!

What about you? Did you not fancy the idea of clearing? lots of strong unis had their sciences course there.

You could probably get those grades, considering how well you did in AS :smile:

Tbh, I thought you had to have gone through the UCAS process to go through clearing and not just apply to uni through clearing. Silly me. :redface: But I think I'd rather choose my uni anyway as I might regret in the future not trying to get to better unis.

You're plan sounds awesome :biggrin: With all the money you're gonna get from your job you'd have some amazing travel plans. I've been looking at sites like Intrepid and Gap Adventures for some group tours as I'm scared to go travelling by myself, being a 5 ft 3 Asian girl and all
I really dont know what I want to do :frown: I want to work/volunteer abroad but abit scared i will be going alone..
Original post by Naami
You could probably get those grades, considering how well you did in AS :smile:

Tbh, I thought you had to have gone through the UCAS process to go through clearing and not just apply to uni through clearing. Silly me. :redface: But I think I'd rather choose my uni anyway as I might regret in the future not trying to get to better unis.

You're plan sounds awesome :biggrin: With all the money you're gonna get from your job you'd have some amazing travel plans. I've been looking at sites like Intrepid and Gap Adventures for some group tours as I'm scared to go travelling by myself, being a 5 ft 3 Asian girl and all

Ah hopefully! I'm going to start 'revising' next week! been saying that for the past two weeks though. Going to try and send my UCAS as soon as possible. I even sent some for remarks and they all stayed the same, yet my school didn't even bother telling me, I had to call them!

I don't think you did, but yeah I agree that it's best to choose your university. I had a clearing offer from Birmingham, but just felt rushed into it, and despite the fact that I'll be so bored and sad for the next six months it feels like it was the right choice!

Since you're applying for Chemistry which is strangely under subscribed. I wouldn't really rule out the likes of UCL/Imperial/Warwick as I know quite a lot of people who've got in to the top 5 or so with resits. Sadly I'm applying for Law, so not much choice at those unis with resits! Most unis are ok with resits, except for the really competitive courses at the really top unis.

Ah what part of London are you from? dreading no more free travel.. Most of my friends are at uni, so probably will go alone, unless I found someone whose up for it. Some of the tour groups charge stupidly high prices
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest