The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "What to Bring to a festival" checklist

I went to my first festival last year and I have most definitely learnt from my mistakes including over-packing, tent sharing and not going to see the bands YOU want to see.

Everyone should throw in tips and tricks into getting ready and packing (not over packing) for the festival they have coming up.

I'll start:

- Definitely take just 1 main bag for everything and then a smaller plastic bags for things that you know you'll throw away such as food.
- I prefer to take my own food that can be cooked and a cheap/small pot and a hexi stove. it was fun cooking around :biggrin:
- Take black bags to put dirt clothes in. You don't want them messing up your whole bag
- WET WIPES ARE A MUST and hand sanitiser
-I'll be taking my own tent this year instead of sharing with whiney friends who constantly complain -.-
- don't camp next to the walk way or in front of potential puddles. Your area will most likely to be peed in or tents will get jumped on
- Print off the clashfinder for the festival you are going to or purchase one program between all of you, and make sure you know who you are going to see before hand. Don't let people drag you into seeing bands you don't want to see or prevent you from seeing bands you want to see (I missed out on seeing Nero, Sub Focus and Crystal Castles last year :frown: )

Things to bring

The basics

- wellies and welly socks
- 2 shorts (they would last me the whole 5 days) 2 Leggings (when it gets cold) and an array of sweatshirts, tops and tanks.
- For A 5 day event, maybe 5/6 underwears, lots of socks and a few bras
- A shower bag with wet wipes, body spray, mini toothbrush/toothpaste

I'll add more if I can think of any :smile:

oh yeah, I'll be going Reading 2012 for the second year running :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Waterproofs.
Reply 2
Missed out the obvious: Condoms!:danceboy::danceboy:
Reply 3
An inhumane amount of alcohol?
Reply 4
- Print off the clashfinder for the festival you are going to or purchase one program between all of you, and make sure you know who you are going to see before hand.

I'm also going to Reading for the second year running, how do you find the clashfinder? last year i had to just ask people and i was running round like a drunk lunatic :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by fail@life
- Print off the clashfinder for the festival you are going to or purchase one program between all of you, and make sure you know who you are going to see before hand.

I'm also going to Reading for the second year running, how do you find the clashfinder? last year i had to just ask people and i was running round like a drunk lunatic :smile:

http://clashfinder.com/
They usually announce the timing a couple of weeks before, so it'll be on here mid-August. Print it off the day you leave for the fest :smile:
Reply 6
second the camping stove and food - festival food can get really expensive, and tbh some days i feel like sitting in the tent, having a nap and a bit of a snack, instead of queuing up whenever i need something to eat.

bring a torch. especially if your tent isn't close to a walkway, if you come back in the early hours of the morning, and are staying in a tent that looks identical to any other tent, you have the potential to lose your tent. a torch is invaluable. i have one the converts to a lamp that hangs at the top of my tent so i don't have to hold it when i'm trying to do stuff in the tent.

bring a plastic bag/mat to put just outside your tent 'door' so that you can sit on it to take your shoes off before you get into the tent - i never, ever, ever allow shoes inside the tent, its a recipe for mud EVERYWHERE!

have fun! bring face paints, fun clothes, some speakers to play music at your tent, cameras, booze, and don't be afraid to see acts you've never heard of :smile:
Reply 7
I agree with the comment on a huge amount of alcohol :biggrin:

I found a cheap solar powered phone charger come in handy, not amazing but just to give your phone a bit of juice when you need it :smile:

Earplugs to actually get some sleep when you need it.
Reply 8
http://clashfinder.com/
They usually announce the timing a couple of weeks before, so it'll be on here mid-August. Print it off the day you leave for the fest :smile:

thank you so much! now i can be chilled and drunk!
Reply 9
Ah man, I drew up a huge list of stuff for Nozstock for me and my friends as a means of wasting time and it's looking like a smart idea now that it's getting closer to the time! Being prepared for anything dodgy makes it much easier to enjoy yourself because you know you don't have to worry about anything.

Basics

Tent - Pretty new-age thinking, but yeah.

Sleeping stuff - People often underrate the importance of a good rest at festies. Roll mats, pillows and sleeping bags for sure

Food and cooking - Either a little camping stove and buy the biggest bag of pasta known to man, or we just buy hot food from various stalls there.

Money - It is highly likely that we will need to spend money there, as a result, we should all bring money. Crazy, I know.

General campsite equipment - We will need some chairs, maybe a table and some fun things like a frisbee or a puppy that will bound about and make us laugh.

Phones - It's not unfeasible to say that we might lose each other or our tent at some point across the weekend, because of this we should all make sure we have our phones with us. Use them sparingly though, as there isn't a chance in hell we'll get them charged. That means switched off when sleeping and pretty much whenever they aren't in use.

Clothes - As much as we will try to deny it, there's always the possibility that we'll get rained on. That means we need wellies/coats and warm ****. On the other hand, we could have a beastly scorching weekend, in that case, it's shorts and wife beaters at the very most. Just be prepared for any eventuality, essentially. I'm not gonna waste my time creating a giant clothes list... (I may if I remain at this level of boredom). Also, fancy dress/hippy dress/funny outfits in general are a MUST. A MUST GOD DAMN IT!

Drugs

*whatever may tickle your fancy, I feel TSR is not the place to divulge further info*

Drinkies - I'm quickly coming to the realisation that drinking is one of the worst things to do at a festival. It's expensive, takes more effort than most things and is a downer anyway. You drink it, it's a depressant, and then you get sleepy. Be that as it may, it's always nice to have some cans around for the daytime to just help maintain a bit of a buzz.

Medicine - Logically, following the drugs section, we need medicine. First up is:

Paracetemol - Nice to clear away any headaches and I doubt it will kill us if we mix it with dangerous drugs.

VITAMINS - This is what I reckons is key. If somebody is doing a certain inhaled dissociative, it's important to replace the Vitamin B12 that it cuts off/restricts/replaces (can't remember the science behind it). On top of that specific one, keeping a healthy immune system would be nice. Nobody wants to be vomiting out some random ass illness on the second day of us being there.

Strepsils - I know this after having a throat of fire on the Sunday night of Aeon last year, smoking like **** can hurt your throat. Madness. These might just help a bit.

Other things that can get overlooked

Water bottles - Hydration is ****ing key to going on a three day session. THAT, my friends, is why we need to take bottles so we can fill them up from communal taps whenever we're running low. So damn vital.

A torch or two - Might seem a bit silly, but this way we don't have to waste battery when using our phones to stumble to the tent or to a toilet in the middle of the night/morning. Not absolutely neccessary, but they'd be sensible.

Wet wipes - Just in case someone has an accident. Hahaha, no but really, they're really useful for just cleaning the grime of one's face or just if you need to wipe anything. Multi-purpose, cheap and could be a godsend.

Toilet roll - Never know what we'll face when we're in there - some festies are famous for having amazing toilets but others may well be a culture shock. No harm in being prepared.

Bin liners - Useful for... Well, storing stuff in. Be it empty cans/cannisters/butts/anything or wet clothes, I reckon they could be bang tidy if we had them. It also means we can clear our stuff away nicely - they're holding the festival for us, we may as well save them a tiny bit of clearing up.

Toothpaste + toothbrush - Just... because.

So yeah, that's pretty much copied and pasted, but I think it's a pretty good list. Made from various experiences and advice along the way.
Reply 10
Original post by dobbs
I agree with the comment on a huge amount of alcohol :biggrin:

I found a cheap solar powered phone charger come in handy, not amazing but just to give your phone a bit of juice when you need it :smile:

Earplugs to actually get some sleep when you need it.

Don't suppose you have a link for that solar charger? Would save me £15 on a locker...

How do people make their own tent recognisable/memorable? I'm thinking of gaffa-tapping my name to it, but I can see 'is a...' being crudely added within 5 minutes...
Reply 11
Original post by YMLT
An inhumane amount of alcohol?

of course that's a must! However when I went to Reading I left with 3 bottles of sours and vodka and come home with 2 full bottles. I don't understand the logic seeing as I was horrendously smashed on the 3rd day :/
Your friends- don't leave them behind!
Reply 13
Has anyone seen those Camping Packages in Halfords ? Are they worth getting? You get a 2 man tent, sleeping bed and bag and chairs for £25-£50?

hmmm
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by YB101
of course that's a must! However when I went to Reading I left with 3 bottles of sours and vodka and come home with 2 full bottles. I don't understand the logic seeing as I was horrendously smashed on the 3rd day :/

You just played it really well & managed to survive off everyone else's booze? :wink:

Original post by YB101
Has anyone seen those Camping Packages in Halfords ? Are they worth getting? You get a 2 man tent, sleeping bed and bag and chairs for £25-£50?
hmmm

Yeah, they look good, especially this one: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_836867_langId_-1_categoryId_236906

I can't imagine they're very good quality, but I'd leave most of it behind anyway :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by YMLT
You just played it really well & managed to survive off everyone else's booze? :wink:

Yeah, they look good, especially this one: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_836867_langId_-1_categoryId_236906

I can't imagine they're very good quality, but I'd leave most of it behind anyway :tongue:

Yeah that's the one I was planning on getting! But I wouldn't share, not after last years fiasco!

And I genuinely don't know how i pulled it off !? I only had a few sips of someone elses alcohol though. For Reading -goers, I don't recommend taking alcohol up there, just buy it at the Tescos next to it you are getting and early bird :smile:
Reply 16
Proplus!
Reply 17
Original post by YB101
Yeah that's the one I was planning on getting! But I wouldn't share, not after last years fiasco!

And I genuinely don't know how i pulled it off !? I only had a few sips of someone elses alcohol though. For Reading -goers, I don't recommend taking alcohol up there, just buy it at the Tescos next to it you are getting and early bird :smile:

Yeah, same. Probably sell the extra chair & stuff to a mate :tongue:

How far is the walk to Tesco?
Reply 18
Original post by YMLT
Yeah, same. Probably sell the extra chair & stuff to a mate :tongue:

How far is the walk to Tesco?

Have you been before ?

Basically, once you get to the drop off point you have a really long walk to get to the site (or get the ferry). It's about 10 minutes from the drop off point, it WILL be packed on the Thursday though.
So happy I got the early bird :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by YB101
Have you been before ?

Basically, once you get to the drop off point you have a really long walk to get to the site (or get the ferry). It's about 10 minutes from the drop off point, it WILL be packed on the Thursday though.
So happy I got the early bird :smile:

Not Reading, no.

Ahh, I haven't got earlybird but we're getting up early on Thursday morning (probably hanging after a party the night before :tongue:) so it shouldn't be too bad...

Quick Reply

Latest