The Student Room Group

Higgs Boson Physicist Shunned

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Has anyone actually read the article? It's not because the people thought his work was blasphemous, in fact it said they used to hail his work.
It's just that it was discovered that he was in a (presumably hated) sect which is why this happened,
which is a completely different situation to what everyone here is talking about.
Original post by Rancorous
You said you weren't practicing, but see my confusion?

I guess, I should have added that Catholic children are baptised before they turn four or five.
Original post by Norton1
Your problem is that you think the freedom to believe in religion is also the freedom to deny freedom of belief to others. I have the right to believe that the religious believe in a load of stupid ****. They have the right to believe in it.

Isn't it a beautiful system?

Free will is complicated, but like many thoughts that pop up into our heads there are things that you dont say out loud.

And for once I thank god or whatever deity/force, that I didn't grow up in your house and had parents who taught me to speak better than you do. Your language is disgusting.
Reply 43
Original post by FrescoDiMorte
Free will is complicated, but like many thoughts that pop up into our heads there are things that you dont say out loud.

And for once I thank god or whatever deity/force, that I didn't grow up in your house and had parents who taught me to speak better than you do. Your language is disgusting.

You gon' need surgery to get that stick out yo' ass boy.

Incidentally, I've always enjoyed the quote "Take away the right to say "****" and you take away the right to say "**** the government."
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Maxima
I am very intrigued by OP. Is he constantly surfing Jihad Watch or some other BS site like that 24/7. Everytime I log onto this site and see any Islam related thread, it's always this guy that has started it.

Erm, the Guardian?

Maybe. But the 'debate and current affairs' forum would be a lot less interesting without, uhh, debate, wouldn't it? You don't choose your skin colour or your sexual orientation - you do choose what religion to follow. If they don't wish to have your faith questioned, then a religious person is free to avoid debate and discussion forums. But it's entirely reasonable to discuss religion and belief systems, including attacking their veracity.
Reply 46
And to whoever it was who said that anti-theism is as bad as homophoia or racism, seriously, seriously?

The major religions in this world are inherantly homophobic and the majority of their follows are too, and in most of these countries, the sentence for being an LGBT citizen (though they don't class you as one) is anywhere from death, life imprisonment or not being protected by the law or not having the same basic legal rights as others.

This is how the argument goes for these enablers,

*Not tolerating the intolerant is insert X-Phobia/Racism/Ignorance/Hate Crime/Bigoted

In my ideal world I wish there was some sort of giant world-wide neuro-wave energy that would wipe the 5 Major religions out of memory and instead replace it with what your average European Secularist society holds (aside from tolerating the intolerant) dear.
Reply 47
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Its always Islam.

Almost entirely agree, at least when violence is used in retaliation to scientific advances, or just science in general.
Original post by xyl
Has anyone actually read the article? It's not because the people thought his work was blasphemous, in fact it said they used to hail his work.
It's just that it was discovered that he was in a (presumably hated) sect which is why this happened,
which is a completely different situation to what everyone here is talking about.

Yes, I have. They hate him now because the current Islamist government and Taliban in control are branding the sect he was in as heretic. From what I gather it was no secret that he was in this sect at the time, but now people are being told to think that it's a heretical sect and so to hate anyone who has anything to do with it.

It's screwed up. :frown:
Reply 49
Original post by Fynch101
Almost entirely agree, at least when violence is used in retaliation to scientific advances, or just science in general.

There are two typical responces to this by people in denial.

Either,

"Christianity stagnated scientific advancement from the fall of the Roman empire right up until the Enlightenment, and scientists were often silenced, in prison, or even killed."

They seem to think that centuries old cases relate to 2012.

Or,

"Arabs invented zero and mathematics"

Seem the point above or.
Reply 50
Original post by Prepare-Yourself

It makes you think, why weren't our shepards and nomads ever like this?
Reply 51
Original post by prog2djent
And to whoever it was who said that anti-theism is as bad as homophoia or racism, seriously, seriously?

The major religions in this world are inherantly homophobic and the majority of their follows are too, and in most of these countries, the sentence for being an LGBT citizen (though they don't class you as one) is anywhere from death, life imprisonment or not being protected by the law or not having the same basic legal rights as others.

This is how the argument goes for these enablers,

*Not tolerating the intolerant is insert X-Phobia/Racism/Ignorance/Hate Crime/Bigoted

In my ideal world I wish there was some sort of giant world-wide neuro-wave energy that would wipe the 5 Major religions out of memory and instead replace it with what your average European Secularist society holds (aside from tolerating the intolerant) dear.

I don't know if its worth it to pick on religions in particular. I just think when religions are based on tradition, then as time goes on, due to the changing nature of our culture between generations, the probability of a clash between religion and these new cultural influences converges to 1, regardless of original culture.
Even though im against both why do the majority of TSR think its ok to bash religion, but then chastise racists or people who disagree with homosexuality ? Genuine question

In that particular case, they're right to bash religion. We're in a free country, we can disagree with homosexuality if we want to.
Not sure about racists, but they're right to criticize double standards regarding racism.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Its always Islam.

Yes, I believe it was the Muslims who persecuted Gallileo. I think they are also currently protecting one of their senior clerics who is accused of child abuse from prosecution, and are a driving force behind teaching Africans that use of condoms increases the chance of getting AIDS.

Sorry, I meant Catholics.

NEW THEORY: It is always theists.
Reply 54
Original post by chrisawhitmore
Yes, I believe it was the Muslims who persecuted Gallileo. I think they are also currently protecting one of their senior clerics who is accused of child abuse from prosecution, and are a driving force behind teaching Africans that use of condoms increases the chance of getting AIDS.

Sorry, I meant Catholics.

NEW THEORY: It is always theists.

You missed out South America.

The Catholic Church and Sunni-Salafist Islam are the two worst right now.
I cant believe this is in the Guardian. Maybe the winds of change are blowing.
You missed out South America.

The Catholic Church and Sunni-Salafist Islam are the two worst right now.

I don't think any particular religion is better or worse than others, but Islam and Catholicism are the biggest at the moment, and if you take a group of people and teach them that being irrational is good, a percentage, however small, will become dangerously irrational. The bigger the religion, the more extremists and violent nutters within their ranks and thus the more harm done to humanity in general.
Erm, the Guardian?

Which begs the question of how many of these threads you'd start if you read the Mail (assuming you retained enough cognitive function to operate a computer)
Reply 58
The physicist wasn't shunned because of his science, but rather because of his religious affiliation.
Reply 59
Original post by noisy06
The physicist wasn't shunned because of his science, but rather because of his religious affiliation.

That's even worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending