Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Hall of residence or shared house???

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have a hard question here and I really need your help, guys. I'm an international student and this is my first year at Oxford Brookes. I've never been abroad before so I'm really worried.

I was offered to stay in Crescent hall which is quite good and cheap in comparison with other bloody expensive halls in Oxford.

Size: single bedroom, 2.35 x 3.65
    Room facilities:Bed-base and mattress, mattress protector, desk and desk chair, reading lamp, wardrobe and curtains. Pinboards for posters. Handbasin.
    Price : £97.48 per week for 38 weeks. The price includes utility costs, internet access, bus pass and basic possessions insurance.

But later I found a house shared with other 4 students, which is also great.
    It has 5 double bedrooms, 2 reception rooms, well equipped kitchen, newly fitted bathroom and separate shower room and large rear garden with patio and 2 off street parking spaces. Rent is 340 pm, bills exclusive but since I'll share will more 4 tenants so the rent is estimated around 400pm maximum. Not to mention that the house is quite spacious and closer to the university (about 10min walk)

Which one should I choose? I'm really confused.:confused: I'd really appreciate if anyone here can share their experience when staying in hall.

Thank you guys.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Halls.

Shared houses will work out more expensive, because
    - you're paying for 52 weeks, not 38.
    - bills, insurance and bus pass aren't included
    - you have to pay a deposit (often £3-400, which you may or may not get back)
    - agents fees (sometimes)
    In your case, a private house would cost you £4800 + bills + bus pass + insurance, whereas halls would cost you £4679.04 with nothing more to pay.

They're also more faff, because you have to deal with
    - utility companies - gas, electricity, water and internet
    - getting a council tax exemption
    - incompetent / maliciously bad landlords who don't do repairs, don't follow the law etc.
    - maintaining the garden
    - doing all your own cleaning.

In addition, in a shared house you won't be with other first years, and you won't have that same first year experience where you get to meet lots of other people - the people that will be your flatmates in subsequent years.

Go for halls!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Halls.

In your case, a private house would cost you £4800 + bills + bus pass + insurance, whereas halls would cost you £4679.04 with nothing more to pay.

- incompetent / maliciously bad landlords who don't do repairs, don't follow the law etc.
    - maintaining the garden

In addition, in a shared house you won't be with other first years, and you won't have that same first year experience where you get to meet lots of other people - the people that will be your flatmates in subsequent years.

Go for halls!
    After the 38w contract ends, I still have to find a somewhere else to stay and then pay a lot more then 4600pounds, don't I?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Halls.

- maintaining the garden

Go for halls!
    Read below:

"After the 38w contract ends, I still have to find a somewhere else to stay and then pay a lot more then 4600pounds."
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meodien)
    After the 38w contract ends, I still have to find a somewhere else to stay and then pay a lot more then 4600pounds, don't I?
    These things can vary slightly across the country, but it is likely that the 52 week contract for a shared house will start on 1st July (i.e. 2.5 months before your course starts) and end on 30th June the following year (around the same time as halls), so it confers no benefit over halls - you won't be able to stay in that house over the summer between 1st and 2nd year anyway.

Anyway, most people go home over the summer.

PS my internet connection has been down for three days (one of the joys of living in a shared house), and I have been catching up on my emails, hence why you didn't get an immediate response.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 13, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.