The Student Room Group

Advice needed: should I reapply to a better medical university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asiyaz
-

Well why were you rejected from UCL in the first place? If it was BMAT score, revision might not help your score increase as greatly as you think it will, as it is an "aptitude" test.

Just something to bear in mind. Remember, on re-applying you're not guaranteed anything. Medical school just teaches you the basics of medicine, it shouldn't affect you greatly in the long run which one you went to.
Reply 21
Original post by Someone123123
Well why were you rejected from UCL in the first place? If it was BMAT score, revision might not help your score increase as greatly as you think it will, as it is an "aptitude" test.

Just something to bear in mind. Remember, on re-applying you're not guaranteed anything. Medical school just teaches you the basics of medicine, it shouldn't affect you greatly in the long run which one you went to.

They're called aptitude tests. Whether they actually are aptitude tests is a different (and considerably more debatable) thing entirely.
Reply 22
Its up to you in the end, but do bare in mind, theres people out their that would kill for an offer from the 2 universities you got an offer from.
Original post by Kinkerz
They're called aptitude tests. Whether they actually are aptitude tests is a different (and considerably more debatable) thing entirely.

Ofcourse. The truth is probably neither here nor there; it's neither 100% "aptitude" nor 100% revision-dependent. But there is definitely a considerable innate aspect of the exam in my opinion, which should be considered.
Original post by Picture~Perfect
Medicine is basically the same wherever you study it, to have an offer is amazing, it would be stupid to reject your offers and reapply next cycle, what if you don't get an offer next time round? If you find you are really unhappy at your university once you are there, maybe you could look into transferring to a different university, I believe that is sometimes possible.

Transfers are not possible in medicine especially if it's just that you don't like the uni.
Reply 25
Ofcourse. The truth is probably neither here nor there; it's neither 100% "aptitude" nor 100% revision-dependent. But there is definitely a considerable innate aspect of the exam in my opinion, which should be considered.

Preparation can boost someone's score significantly. Particularly, I suspect, with the BMAT.
Original post by Kinkerz
Preparation can boost someone's score significantly. Particularly, I suspect, with the BMAT.

In some sections more than others maybe, but I don't think the hours of revision in the long term are directly proportional to BMAT score; revising for months on end will not, in my opinion, guarantee a good score in some instances. There is an innate aspect, otherwise they wouldn't call it an aptitude test. If the OP did no revision at all then maybe it's worth another shot. If lots of revision was done and still no good score, thought should be put in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
In some sections more than others maybe, but I don't think the hours of revision in the long term are directly proportional to BMAT score. Revising for months on end will not, in my opinion, guarantee a good score for some. There is an innate aspect, otherwise they wouldn't call it an aptitude test. If the OP did no revision at all then maybe it's worth another shot. If lots of revision was done and still no good score, thought should be put in.

Don't strictly disagree with you there, but if a test can genuinely be prepared for with revision (let's face it, for the BMAT, you actually have to know some stuff), then it takes the shine off the aptitude component.

Either way, comprehensive preparation for these so called aptitude tests can get someone from a low or mediocre score upto an application changingly-good one.
Original post by Kinkerz
Don't strictly disagree with you there, but if a test can genuinely be prepared for with revision (let's face it, for the BMAT, you actually have to know some stuff)

Only some of it. UCL like to look at all sections.

Either way, comprehensive preparation for these so called aptitude tests can get someone from a low or mediocre score upto an application changingly-good one.

Not always imo. Like you said, all this is very debatable. :tongue:
Reply 29
Only some of it. UCL like to look at all sections.

Minimum 2/3 sections, last I knew.

Not always imo. Like you said, all this is very debatable. :tongue:

Not always, no. It's not black and white. I'm suggesting a general theme, and I think that's enough to bring the 'aptitude' aspect into question.
Don't worry, I was just being a dick, but you probably should accept the offer you have.

As has been mentioned previously, although medical courses do vary, and it could be argued that some of them get their students to different levels of preparedness for the job of being a doctor by the end of medical school, they are all required to ensure that every student that passes has reached a certain minimum level of performance by that time, so in that sense they all have an equal responsibility to educate their students.

I asked whether you were rejected by UCL before or after interview because they have a policy that they do not consider applications from people who have previously been rejected by UCL following interview. See the note halfway down the first page of this document: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/faqs/selection.pdf

If you were interviewed and rejected by UCL last year, they wouldn't normally consider your application this year. If you were rejected without interview by UCL last year, what have you added to your application, other than your very commendable grades, to make you more likely to be interviewed this year?
Reply 31
Call BSMS and tell them you gave your offer to me. Then reapply. :colonhash:
Reply 32
Original post by killingposition
Don't worry, I was just being a dick, but you probably should accept the offer you have.

As has been mentioned previously, although medical courses do vary, and it could be argued that some of them get their students to different levels of preparedness for the job of being a doctor by the end of medical school, they are all required to ensure that every student that passes has reached a certain minimum level of performance by that time, so in that sense they all have an equal responsibility to educate their students.

I asked whether you were rejected by UCL before or after interview because they have a policy that they do not consider applications from people who have previously been rejected by UCL following interview. See the note halfway down the first page of this document: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/faqs/selection.pdf

If you were interviewed and rejected by UCL last year, they wouldn't normally consider your application this year. If you were rejected without interview by UCL last year, what have you added to your application, other than your very commendable grades, to make you more likely to be interviewed this year?

Yeah, I didnt get an interview offer, so that is why i thought about reapplying.

and other than my grades I have got an excellent work experience (went to Tanzania for a month and worked there in a hospital, worked at the old people's home in UK, got some experience in Cardiology Centre and private clinic in Kazakhstan and in one week I am going to Thailand for 1 month, where I will also work in a private clinic....), I also have got time to prepare for BMAT with tutors and Kaplan and lastly I think I am able to perform well at the interviews....

But as you are all saying, it is a dumb decision, since many people would kill for two offers like mine....... so I really dont know what to do.......
Reply 33
Medicine is medicine wherever you go! The end point =Doctor if your at BSMS or Kings or UCL or Oxford!
It's not like English where the uni you go has a huge influence on your career !

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
My Dad refers to offers to medical school as "golden tickets". Your medical school is also offering to let you pay local fees if you wait a year!? Don't reject it, it could be the biggest mistake you ever make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending