The Student Room Group

Biology for a Psychology Degree

I sorted my time table out today for my Access Course due to start in September.

Upon being asked what I wanted to do to get my time table filled in, I said Psychology and Biology. The lady gave me a weird look and told me that it is an unusual combination, it didn't sound very positive which then gave me doubts.

I chose my Biology modules anyway, and ended up with Biological Concepts and Health Studies. I could choose 2 out of 3, the third was Life Sciences I think which was theory based.

I only chose Biology because Psychology at degree level covers a fair amount of Biology. So seeing as that I know nothing about it, I thought choosing it will help prepare me.

Have I done the right thing, or should have I gone for something more realistic like Sociology?
Reply 1
Psychology and biology is a very popular combination, don't worry about it. They complement each other quite a bit.
Biology is probably more featured in mainstream psychology than sociology is- i.e. cognitive neuroscience, or evolutionary psychology, so its a fine choice.
Original post by itskimmy
I sorted my time table out today for my Access Course due to start in September.

Upon being asked what I wanted to do to get my time table filled in, I said Psychology and Biology. The lady gave me a weird look and told me that it is an unusual combination, it didn't sound very positive which then gave me doubts.

I chose my Biology modules anyway, and ended up with Biological Concepts and Health Studies. I could choose 2 out of 3, the third was Life Sciences I think which was theory based.

I only chose Biology because Psychology at degree level covers a fair amount of Biology. So seeing as that I know nothing about it, I thought choosing it will help prepare me.

Have I done the right thing, or should have I gone for something more realistic like Sociology?

Biology will help you with Psychology. There's a lot of biological based psychology in my degree and having done an AS in Biology it came in useful.

:smile:

Sociology is very boring.. I wouldn't do it. I think Biology will definitely compliment Psychology more.
Reply 4
That's what I thought also, it's a little off putting that she doesn't know that.
Original post by itskimmy
That's what I thought also, it's a little off putting that she doesn't know that.

Is she just like a secretary for the course? she may not know much about psychology...
Reply 6
No, she teaches Biology!

Quick Reply

Latest