The Student Room Group

UCL - Chemical Engineering

So basically, UCL invited me to an open day and it was cancelled, so they invited me to another one and then that one was cancelled (this happened february/march time). I then emailed the admissions tutor asking if I could visit the department, to which he replied that I could not. Also, there are almost no pictures or student reviews of the dept. that I can find on their website or elsewhere on the internet.

I did, however, end up firming UCL mainly due to its international prestige etc. and also because I'd love to study in London (even with the extra expenses :smile:).

So, I'm asking you guys whether you could tell me what it is like, or what you have heard from other people who have studied/visited there. If you can, could you also tell me what studying at UCL is like and if you have enjoyed it there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

Thank you. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
*bump*
Reply 2
Original post by nd123
So basically, UCL invited me to an open day and it was cancelled, so they invited me to another one and then that one was cancelled (this happened february/march time). I then emailed the admissions tutor asking if I could visit the department, to which he replied that I could not. Also, there are almost no pictures or student reviews of the dept. that I can find on their website or elsewhere on the internet.

I did, however, end up firming UCL mainly due to its international prestige etc. and also because I'd love to study in London (even with the extra expenses :smile:).

So, I'm asking you guys whether you could tell me what it is like, or what you have heard from other people who have studied/visited there. Finally, could you also tell me what studying at UCL is like and if you have enjoyed it there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

Thank you. :smile:

Ahh that must have been annoying. You should have visited on the 4th July, that was for all subjects.

I went, I want to study medicine, but I spoke to a Chemical Engineering admissions lady to see if I'd stand a chance with chem eng being a 5th option on the UCAS form (she wasn't confident).

It's a great university, I really like the old feel of the school, the architecture is impressive. I also like the fact that it's in a bustling part of london, the great facilities. The unions seem like a great laugh too, lots of sport and societies. One con is that it's such a big uni, people doing the same courses probably mingle and keep to themselves here-and-there. Probably not so much with chem eng as with medicine. But it does look lively and there did seem to be a nice community so I bet it's down to the individual.

It'd be good if you could speak to someone who's doing the course at UCL. Perhaps try the engineering forum after a while.
Reply 3
Original post by Pride
Ahh that must have been annoying. You should have visited on the 4th July, that was for all subjects.

I went, I want to study medicine, but I spoke to a Chemical Engineering admissions lady to see if I'd stand a chance with chem eng being a 5th option on the UCAS form (she wasn't confident).

It's a great university, I really like the old feel of the school, the architecture is impressive. I also like the fact that it's in a bustling part of london, the great facilities. The unions seem like a great laugh too, lots of sport and societies. One con is that it's such a big uni, people doing the same courses probably mingle and keep to themselves here-and-there. Probably not so much with chem eng as with medicine. But it does look lively and there did seem to be a nice community so I bet it's down to the individual.

It'd be good if you could speak to someone who's doing the course at UCL. Perhaps try the engineering forum after a while.

Thanks for your reply. :smile:

Yeah, I found out about this open day after it happened, lol. From what you've said about the uni, it has confirmed to me what I had thought it was like :biggrin:.

I have heard about the thing of some people keeping to themselves there; I think that could be mainly due to the relatively large % of people from overseas, but I don't think that it's much of a problem. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending