The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

sports coaching and performance

sorry if this has already has been posted but is anyone actually doing sports coaching and performance or other sports?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing sports rehab
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
I've just sent my application off today for uni :smile: I applied for this course in 2013 and was wondering if you could tell a bit about what it is like?
Reply 3
Original post by amyeaton
I've just sent my application off today for uni :smile: I applied for this course in 2013 and was wondering if you could tell a bit about what it is like?

Erm well it's ok but there's a lot of theory and most of the third year is anatomy and physiology. There are only 2 assignments in the first semester too
Reply 4
Original post by mdevil3
Erm well it's ok but there's a lot of theory and most of the third year is anatomy and physiology. There are only 2 assignments in the first semester too

ahh, that sounds pretty good actually! i'm fine with the whole anatomy and physiology so it shouldnt be too bad :wink: a lot of theory may stress me out but i suppose thats the case with most courses haha. what do you do on the practical side then?
Reply 5
Well so far on the practical side we've done one coaching session looking at behaviourism, we have a lab every week for physiology were you do blood taking, blood pressure, respiration and this week we did a wingate test. The labs for anatomy are just looking at skeletons and naming muscles, bones and boney landmarks. I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have.
Reply 6
ahh that doesnt sound too bad :') i suppose some bits will be better than others haha. who do you coach then? because my sixth form is pretty much joined with the schools we are able to coach the younger ones for our coaching units.
are you involved with any of the sports teams there?
Reply 7
we dont actually coach anyone lol. we have people come in and show us methods of coaching like behaviourism. the unit is pedagogy which is how to coach, not what to coach, no i dont do any sport at uni, i dont really have time being a mature student.
Reply 8
Original post by mdevil3
we dont actually coach anyone lol. we have people come in and show us methods of coaching like behaviourism. the unit is pedagogy which is how to coach, not what to coach, no i dont do any sport at uni, i dont really have time being a mature student.

ahh my bad :wink: and ahh right haha, that busy ey?! :O
Reply 9
yeah when you have a degree to do, 2 gcse's and a little girl lol.
Reply 10
Original post by mdevil3
yeah when you have a degree to do, 2 gcse's and a little girl lol.

well that does sound pretty hectic then haha :smile: will all pay off in the end though!
Reply 11
I'm hoping to be accepted for Sports Coaching at Uel for Sept 2013, but was just wondering if anyone knows whether you do general coaching, or allowed to specify in your own sport (in my case gymnastics coaching- and i'm useless at any other sport) or do you have to specify in the majority sport, which is usually football or something boy based.
Reply 12
well i dont know about uel (or where it is lol) but at hull its a lot of theory. the first year is anatomy, physiology, research methods and pedagogy which is how to coach, not what to coach. the 2nd year more looks at training and coaching but i obviously havent got that far yet so i cant tell you more about it. i guess the best way is to go to an open day.
Reply 13
Original post by mdevil3
well i dont know about uel (or where it is lol) but at hull its a lot of theory. the first year is anatomy, physiology, research methods and pedagogy which is how to coach, not what to coach. the 2nd year more looks at training and coaching but i obviously havent got that far yet so i cant tell you more about it. i guess the best way is to go to an open day.

sorry only just see this reply. Thankyou, that makes a lot of sense, puts my mind at rest a little, knowing that I wont have to start coaching football or netball!

I'm booked on to go to an open day end of March so hopefully that will clear a lot of questions up.

Just wondering what your hoping to get out of the coaching degree?
What are you career hopes?
Reply 14
Original post by Abiedwards
sorry only just see this reply. Thankyou, that makes a lot of sense, puts my mind at rest a little, knowing that I wont have to start coaching football or netball!

I'm booked on to go to an open day end of March so hopefully that will clear a lot of questions up.

Just wondering what your hoping to get out of the coaching degree?
What are you career hopes?

youll have to look me up when you come then lol. we are actually doing some coaching with kids after easter but its multi skills stuff. you find at unis they tend to go for sports that everyone will be equal at or let you choose yourself. im hoping to become a teacher in the end but im currently at a cross roads of which route to take after my degree, its so confusing. what about you?
Have a conditional offer for Sport and Exercise Science. Anyone have any more information on Sport at Hull, in terms of clubs and facilities?
Reply 16
Original post by phillips 1878
Have a conditional offer for Sport and Exercise Science. Anyone have any more information on Sport at Hull, in terms of clubs and facilities?

what are your conditions? there are lots of sports clubs and facilities at Hull. they probably arent the best in the world but they are fine. there is astro turf, a 3g pitch, grass football pitches and a cricket pitch. there is a a sports centre with the usual such as studios and halls. there is also the bio mechanics lab where your practial lab sessions take place.
Reply 17
Hi hope you can help.

I have just recieved a conditional offer from Hull Uni for the sports coaching and performance course, i will be a mature student and already currently work as a coach for a professional sports club full time and would be doing this alongside the course. i was just wondering what the hours would be roughly for the course so i can put things in place.

cheers
Reply 18
Original post by RJN89
Hi hope you can help.

I have just recieved a conditional offer from Hull Uni for the sports coaching and performance course, i will be a mature student and already currently work as a coach for a professional sports club full time and would be doing this alongside the course. i was just wondering what the hours would be roughly for the course so i can put things in place.

cheers

I'm not sure how much I can help but I do know how you fee, I kept wanting to know the hours too. All I can tell you is what it was like for me. In the first semester it's freshers week so your in all week but not all day and there are no classes. After that there is another 11 weeks till Xmas. I was in 3 days a week in semester 1 and 5 days a week in semester 2. This all depends when the lectures are and when the labs and seminars are. This being said they do let you swap labs and seminars if you have a good reason once you have your timetable.
I'd really say it depends on what you're doing. They weren't lenient at all with me when I was working 16 hours a week at Dorothy Perkins. Might have been because my job had nothing to do with my degree, which in my first year felt like it was full time. Even though I was only there 4 days a week.

Quick Reply

Latest