Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Volunteering at a hospital?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I am interested in applying for Dentistry this year - I was wondering whether doing volunteer work at a hospital is worth mentioning in a PS? Would it be okay to mention the experiences gained through this, even though it is medical, not dental?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Citizen)
    So I am interested in applying for Dentistry this year - I was wondering whether doing volunteer work at a hospital is worth mentioning in a PS? Would it be okay to mention the experiences gained through this, even though it is medical, not dental?
    Absolutely, I volunteered in a care home and put that in my personal statement. Definitely mention the experience gained and what you learnt from it, as they are often transferable, e.g. seeing the care being given to someone in pain.

I also volunteer with Brownies and both were mentioned at interview, any experiences are better than no experiences!! In my case I mentioned the different skills required for the contrasting age groups, 7-10 year olds, and 70+. As you are going to need to be able to interact with every age group once you are a dentist
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    YES! Universities go wild for volunteering in my experience (I'm convinced my volunteering made a huge difference to getting nursing offers). Make sure you put what you learnt from you time in hospital. Good luck
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Volunteering in Hospital is great - some dentists end up choosing the hospital route and have to work at SHO's - so having an idea of how health professionals in a hospital works is very useful.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 11, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Dentistry Wiki Homepage

Quick Link:

Unanswered Dentistry Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.