The Student Room Group

Is the UK preparing for war or for the Olympic Games?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrostyLemon
Well there is a huge Islamic community in Newham so it would be ****ing idiotic if they did.

At the end of the day you could have every member of the armed forces around the site, all it takes is one bloke and his rucksack in the middle of a busy crowd and bobs your uncle, death. Nothing anyone could do about it. I live around Stratford, but I wont be going there while it's on.

Where isnt there a huge Islamic community...
Original post by Harry Callahan
He's right, though. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.

How is it possible to be this much of an idiot..
He's right, though. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.

'cept for the ETA, the IRA, the Tamil Tigers, etc.
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
How is it possible to be this much of an idiot..

Truth hurts, eh? How many terrorist attacks in the west do you hear of committed by non-Muslims?

I'm talking the majority of terrorists. You're not gonna get the Tamil Tigers attacking the Olympic games.
I just think the government is not taking any risks. Overused I know but 'better safe than sorry.'
Original post by College_Dropout
Where isnt there a huge Islamic community...

A lot of places.
Reply 26
Original post by Shabalala
I was at the jubilee boat thing in London there were a **** load of security personel around London not once did it affect me or my enjoyment of the day (aside from the fact it was boring as ****) I was asked to show them the inside of my bag it took 10 seconds of my day and that was it. When I go to football games the police and stewards that surround me don't make the slightest bit of difference. Why would the security personel bother you unless you are paranoid or have something to hide?

Because you don't trust the polices judgement lol!
People are acting like these 3000+ Army guys are coming with rifles and body armour ready to call in air strikes. They are there mainly to make up the security short fall, as they are the cheapest and quickest way to make up the numbers. Most are going to be manning check points and bag checking stations, not actually dealing with threats.
Reply 29
Well considering most of the armed forces personnel are unarmed, I'd say no. :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by od_bo
Seriously, one would think we're preparing for a war or something.

Do you really think something bad will happen during the London Olympics even after all this security?

Simply because of G4S. Also I think they are doing extremely well in terms of security and I feel a lot more safer having the troops monitoring and carrying out their duties.

Shout out to the troops :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Original post by James A
Yeah but he had to bring Muslims into his argument, didn't he?

(btw i ain't Muslim)

If you can't see the connection between huge security at an event in London for which muslim terrorists have already been arrested over and the events of 7/7 where London was attacked by muslim terrorists then you're a bit of a pratt James.

Yes, security at high profile London events and muslims are totally unrelated James. Want to go visit the graves of some of their victims?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RyanT
If you can't see the connection between huge security at an event in London for which muslim terrorists have already been arrested over and the events of 7/7 where London was attacked by muslim terrorists then you're a bit of a pratt James.

Yes, security at high profile London events and muslims are totally unrelated James. Want to go visit the graves of some of their victims?

Yeah but you generalised Muslims as the reason for the attacks. You generalised them as one big group that is out to carry out terror attacks. Not all muslims are bad you know.

Of course i have full respect for the people that sadly passed away, but you tend to generalise so much Ryan.
Reply 33
Original post by James A
Yeah but you generalised Muslims as the reason for the attacks. You generalised them as one big group that is out to carry out terror attacks. Not all muslims are bad you know.

Of course i have full respect for the people that sadly passed away, but you tend to generalise so much Ryan.

I know not all muslims are terrorists and that not all terrorists are muslims.

If you can provide an alternative wording for muslims then I will be happy to use it. As it stands, the % of a terrorist being muslim is very high and the % that an individual muslim will morally agree with terrorist attacks is also very high (did you see their street celebrations after 9/11? I did).

It remains a fact that given the chance of an individual muslim being a terrorist and the amount of muslims that the security services have to watch - that the SIS are overwhelmed. There's just too many of them to monitor and I sadly feel that British people are going to die during the Olympics because of this fact. I certainly don't think every muslim is a terrorist and if that's your impression then you misunderstand.
Reply 34
Original post by RyanT

So we should send all muslims to prison or place them under house arrest?

The whole war on terror is complicated, saying all of this was caused by peoples religious beliefs is stupid, its more complex
Reply 35
A bit of both... the london olympics could be seen as the perfect way to declare war by some deranged terrorist.
That's what it looks like lol. No one is going to attack whilst their enemy is expecting it. If an attack happens, it will be at a time when the UK doesn't see it coming, like all the past successful attacks have been.

Original post by RyanT

Let's first go to the graves of the millions of Iraqi's and Afghans killed by British troops. If you pay for my plane ticket, I'll even come with you as a tour guide, giving you detailed accounts of how this kid got beaten to death, or how that girl got raped or how that man got tortured etc.
(edited 11 years ago)

Except, 99.3% terrorists are Non-Muslim.

Today, I’d like to update our readers with new Europol data: the data for 2009 and 2010 is now available.

Once again, a minuscule percentage of terrorist attacks in Europe were committed by Muslims. In 2009 and 2010, there were a grand total of 543 terrorist attacks, of which only 4 were committed by Muslims. This means that only 0.7% of terrorist attacks–again, less than 1%–were committed by Muslims.

Meanwhile, in that same time frame, separatist groups in Europe committed 397 terrorist attacks, or 73% of terrorist attacks overall. In other words, separatist groups committed 99.2 times (almost 100 times) more terrorist attacks than Muslims.

Another 85 attacks were committed by left-wing groups, accounting for about 16% of terrorist attacks overall.

Here is the data for 2009:

And for 2010:

In the 2010 report, the annex contains a summary of the results from the previous and current years:

(Due to size constraints, the table is a bit difficult to read here; you can see the actual report here.)

This “mega-table” shows that from 2007 to 2009, out of 1,317 terrorist attacks only 3 of them were committed by Muslims. From a percentage standpoint, that means only about 0.2% of terrorist attacks in Europe were committed by Muslims in those years–again, far less than 1%.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/11/updated-europol-data-less-than-1-of-terrorist-attacks-by-muslims/

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Perseveranze
Let's first go to the graves of the millions of Iraqi's and Afghans killed by British troops.

Millions?

Not convinced the British managed that many, perhaps you mean the Americans?

I understand your point though, that British muslims are a 5th column who think it's a fair trade to murder British citizens in Britain because of events on the other side of the planet. I'm so pleased we've allowed these people to live in our societies, nothing bad is going to happen because of it.
Reply 39

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending