Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

DNA proves God

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any information we see always leads to an intelligent being. Why then do atheists ignore DNA? So complicated is the code in all living things that even if all the coders in the world got together they wouldn't even come close to creating anything like it. Of course the atheist can say that, DNA, like everything else just evolved. But there is a problem with this. No-one has ever observed nature creating information. It follows patterns, but it never creates information. We then must come to the conclusion that there is an intelligent being behind this information.

Discuss.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What's there to discuss lol :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd actually have to know how your defining information to make a sensible comment.

It sounds like your saying information is a message that originates from an intelligent being, in which case if you can prove that DNA originates from an intelligent being then you could call it 'information'.

This is not the usual, technical definition of information, however. Usually, information is defined as a sequence that is capable of being interpreted by intelligence. This does not require an intelligent originator, merely an intelligent observer.

In yet another sense, scientists gain much of their information about the universe from non-intelligent sources. There is information in the spectrum of magnetic waves emitted from a star but it is unlikely that means stars are sentient.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want evidence from atheists that shows nature creates information.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason2)
    Define information.

Edit: Actually don't, I cant be bothered with this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brevillemonkey)
    Define information.

Edit: Actually don't, I cant be bothered with this.
    information: within a context that gives it meaning and relevance and; is specific and organized for a purpose.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    try reading the comment above you

(Original post by studiousgeek)
    I'd actually have to know how your defining information to make a sensible comment.

It sounds like your saying information is a message that originates from an intelligent being, in which case if you can prove that DNA originates from an intelligent being then you could call it 'information'.

This is not the usual, technical definition of information, however. Usually, information is defined as a sequence that is capable of being interpreted by intelligence. This does not require an intelligent originator, merely an intelligent observer.

In yet another sense, scientists gain much of their information about the universe from non-intelligent sources. There is information in the spectrum of magnetic waves emitted from a star but it is unlikely that means stars are sentient.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    FML, its posts like this that make me lose faith in humanity...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    They hardly emit information now do they? As far as I'm aware, they only emit the temperature. DNA is like a machine in every single cell in your body. There is a massive, massive difference.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahlabrosse)
    FML, its posts like this that make me lose faith in humanity...
    If you have nothing to add don't comment. No one asked you to.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    :doctor:, and a bloody good one!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is the most ridiculous argument for the existence of a God/Creator that I've ever heard.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any information we see always leads to an intelligent being. Why then do atheists ignore DNA? So complicated is the code in all living things that even if all the coders in the world got together they wouldn't even come close to creating anything like it. Of course the atheist can say that, DNA, like everything else just evolved. But there is a problem with this. No-one has ever observed nature creating information. It follows patterns, but it never creates information. We then must come to the conclusion that there is an intelligent being behind this information.

Discuss.
    you lost me by the end of the first sentence.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Give me another reason for DNA then. You can't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They hardly emit information now do they? As far as I'm aware, they only emit the temperature. DNA is like a machine in every single cell in your body. There is a massive, massive difference.
    The temperature and colour of a star reveal a lot of things about the star, such as the internal workings, structure and composition. If that's not information, I don't know what is.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Discuss.
    This information clearly comes from someone who isn't.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brevillemonkey)
    The temperature and colour of a star reveal a lot of things about the star, such as the internal workings, structure and composition. If that's not information, I don't know what is.
    I think we need to be clearer on what we mean by information. DNA is like computer code; it instructs every cell in your body on how to behave, in order that your body can continue to operate. Where has nature ever created such information?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well guess what?

Atheists just want evidence from you that shows it was made by an intelligent being

Discussion over.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    it does not PROVE god... you obviously have a problem with the word PROVE... you could equally say it PROVES the magical all knowing donkey who created us.
Updated: July 13, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.