The Student Room Group

Access Couse, Clearing And Swansea University

Hi,

I posted this in another thread but made a complete balls of it :colondollar:. Hopefully this post will go a little better!

Okay, so I just completed the Agored Access to Business course and got 30 Distinctions, 34 Merits and 0 Passes.

During the course, we applied to university and I applied to Swansea Metropolitan to do Web Development:

http://www.smu.ac.uk/index.php/potential-students/faculty-of-applied-design-and-engineering/ac/166-bschons-web-development

My offer from Swansea Met was conditional on just passing the course. Obviously my results are better than simply passes so I started having a look about to see if I could do better.

I went to an open day at Swansea University and found out about their Computer Science degree:

http://www.swan.ac.uk/compsci/admissions/ComputerScience.html

I asked the admissions tutor and department if my qualification is good enough to go through adjustments or clearing. To be honest the reply I got was a bit criptic and I don't think they "Get Me" or get the fact i'm a mature student. The admissions tutor asked me to do a programing course to give me more experience and chance at clearing but I already build websites and can program html/php/ajax/javascript and a little java already.

The other issue is that I never got the time to complete the level 3 maths cert. I did complete Level 2 however. The university require Maths at GCSE B grade however.

At the moment I have been asked to call on the 16th August and enquire about courses then and go through clearing.

So, here are my questions:

- The tariff in Swansea Uni is ABB in a Level money and DMM in BTEC money. How does that roughly relate to my Access Course?
- Is my Level 2 maths cert equivalent to a GCSE and if so what grade?
- Will I have to give up my Swansea Met place on UCAS before the 16th August? I don't fancy giving up this place without a firm idea of being accepted.
- Is Swansea Met now my "Insurance Place" just incase Swansea say no?
- Have any other mature students got any ideas on how to differentiate myself from other students. I sometimes feel like they believe i'm another A Level student without prior experience of computers.
- Thinking about the question above? Will I be able to get a chance to tell the university about myself during clearing or is it basically here are my results what's the outcome?
- Any other issues I have overlooked?

I have never done this before and kinda kicking myself I didn't stick Swansea on my initial UCAS application. I guess I just didn't think I was worth it... Silly me! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending