Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Societies in second year

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't join any societies in my first year as I'm pretty shy around new people. I REALLY regret this so I was just wondering whether it's normal to join societies in your second year, or does everyone join in their first year? I know this may seem stupid but I've never been part of a society to know what it's like.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes yes yes join societies!! You can do it at any point during your degree and it is totally fine. In some ways I reckon it might be easier to do in later years because you're more established and generally more confident.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    awesome! I'll try and join lots in September
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could I join a sports society if I have no real experience in the sport except for doing it during P.E. and really enjoying it?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by throughthemonsoon)
    Could I join a sports society if I have no real experience in the sport except for doing it during P.E. and really enjoying it?
    Varies from society to society. Most likely, yes. Usually there will be provision for those who want to compete and those who just want to play for fun.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainfixes)
    I dont think it is strange for someone not to join a society in the first year. I have not yet found one at my university and I'm going to start my own one in the second year so I can still have fun!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do it! I know loads of people who have joined in their second / third year, and most people don't even realise that they're second / third years anyway. It's not weird at all!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into second year now and I didn't join any clubs/societies in first year either.

And like you, I'm planning to join some this year! With the Fresher's novelty gone, I need a new way to meet more people. Societies are definitely the way to go.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't join my first society until second year and now I'm going to be helping out at the society stall at the next fresher's fair. I'm thinking of applying to more next year, too. Do it!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I joined my Uni's snowsports team in second year as it was something I had wanted to do in First year but never got the chance. They welcomed me as they would anyone and I had such a great time. Go for it!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The good thing about societies is that it is generally a mixed bunch. 1st years - Mature postgrads. Some existing members some new. Which is great and welcoming

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 23, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.