The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

help!

i have now put exeter down as my firm choice.... after much deliberation, tok me ages 2 decide between it and leeds!
but i have a few questions so if any1 cud answer any i'd reali appreciate it!

wats is there is exeter in terms of going out? and where is the nearest place with plenty of clubs etc?

wat are the gym facilities like? and how much is it a year?

Is the business school as gd as is made out?

are there any rowing and surfing clubs? and will those with relatively little experience be shunned?

finally, in many of the blog things people have talked about 'rahs' wat r they? is it derived from the opinion exeter is the place for those who don't get into oxbridge?

thanks!
Reply 1
Oooh lookie, a Bucks native :biggrin: Hi.

Uhh...I'm not actually at Exeter (yet) but I gather that it is probably rather the opposite to Leeds. Theres a few clubs but its more suited to those who like to spend a relaxed evening in the pub.

The only other question I know the answer to is the rah thing. They're basically posh private school kids who, like you said, might have failed to get into Oxbridge. Both sexes have a penchant for pink sweaters/shirts which MUST have the collar turned up, and own lots of different colours of pashminas. Many will ride horses/sail. If you walk behind them you'll be able to catch the money thats falling out of their ears.
Damn, I've run out of prejudices now......

God I'm just too helpful for my own good.

Sorry, I'm just in a weird mood tonight.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
riteo thanks! bit worried now i wear pink, i do have many different coloured pashminas.... and i can horse ride but there deffinately is not money falling outa my ears! hehehe
gd luck with applications
In terms of going out, its not quite Leeds but its probably a lot more chilled and certainly a lot prettier! I've never been to any of the cheesy pop/dance clubs except the Lemmy (because I'm a cool indie kid :biggrin: ), but those who do go seem to enjoy them. The main clubs are Timepiece, Warehouse, Arena, Rococo's, the Lemmy and the Cavern (which caters for rock and alternative music tastes). There are bars, too, like the Amber Rooms which have things on and student societies have stuff going on too, such as the moroccan souk nights run by the international society. Of course, there are loads of pubs too.

In terms of location, the nearest club is obviously the Lemmy on campus and then the rest of the clubs are either in the city centre (a 15-20 min walk) or on the quay (a bit further).

The gym and sports facilities at Exeter are really good. Not sure how much they are this year. I recall that last year they were reasonably expensive, but the facilities are better than a lot of universities so its probably justified.
Boat club: http://www.eubc.net/
There is a surf club too.

Rahs or sloanes are people from wealthy famililies who typically live in the home counties and have a certain look: think what prince William or Harry look like for the guys and uggs and badly dyed blonde hair for the girls.

My school, English, has a lot of Oxbridge rejects but then this will be true of most of the top universities.
Reply 4
dani98765

finally, in many of the blog things people have talked about 'rahs' wat r they? is it derived from the opinion exeter is the place for those who don't get into oxbridge?

thanks!

easier to show than tell... www.sloaneys.co.uk . :p:
Reply 5
Ariadne

ha, i've just seen two of my friends in that photo gallery....
Reply 6
Evil Muffin
In terms of going out, its not quite Leeds but its probably a lot more chilled and certainly a lot prettier! I've never been to any of the cheesy pop/dance clubs except the Lemmy (because I'm a cool indie kid :biggrin: ), but those who do go seem to enjoy them. The main clubs are Timepiece, Warehouse, Arena, Rococo's, the Lemmy and the Cavern (which caters for rock and alternative music tastes). There are bars, too, like the Amber Rooms which have things on and student societies have stuff going on too, such as the moroccan souk nights run by the international society. Of course, there are loads of pubs too.

In terms of location, the nearest club is obviously the Lemmy on campus and then the rest of the clubs are either in the city centre (a 15-20 min walk) or on the quay (a bit further).

The gym and sports facilities at Exeter are really good. Not sure how much they are this year. I recall that last year they were reasonably expensive, but the facilities are better than a lot of universities so its probably justified.
Boat club: http://www.eubc.net/
There is a surf club too.

Rahs or sloanes are people from wealthy famililies who typically live in the home counties and have a certain look: think what prince William or Harry look like for the guys and uggs and badly dyed blonde hair for the girls.

My school, English, has a lot of Oxbridge rejects but then this will be true of most of the top universities.

:ditto:
Hi Siobhan :wavey:
Angelil
:ditto:
Hi Siobhan :wavey:

Who? Never heard of her :ninja:

:biggrin:
Reply 8
That website is hilarious. I especially appreciate the 'sloanglish'!
Reply 9
The funniest part is all the people in the photo gallery. There's about 6 pictures of girls in the year below me at school, and I can remember watching them practising their pouts before taking the photo, and then being all excited when they sent them in to the website! Stupid prats... :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Ariadne

that was an amazing link !!!

Latest

Trending

Trending