The Student Room Group

Criminal Law help - Bail

Hi Girls/Guys,

I'm currently really worried I've got to undertake a examination for my police station rep exam. In the notes its given a very brief scenario which I will outline below, I have been studying through the necessary legislation etc but seem to be a bit confused.

Scenario:
You are representing a client who has been arrested for ABH, after the interview you informed by officers that they intend to refuse the defendant bail, no mention is made of the past record of the defendant. The situation arises through a domestic disturbance in which the victim sustains a cut/bruising, however the victim is at A & E and her injuries are unconfirmed.

What representations would you make?

I have been reading and understand that the custody officer will need to apply the threshold test, if this is met however not the requirements for the full code test (CPS) then PACE 1984 s47(3) - unconditional bail, however if the full code test is fulfilled then PACE 1984 s37 (7) becomes engaged and conditions could be stipulated.

My answer above is not really an answer what I'm trying to work out it exactly what points/legislation could you refer which allow you to challenge the grounds for bail?

Quick Reply

Latest