Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The BBFC and censorship

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18797882

**** all of this bull****.

"I have no doubt we are one of the more conservative classification bodies in Europe”

He says that like it's a good thing. Sure, warn people on the content of films as evidently a very small minority are incapable of handling something as harmless as a love scene, but the vast majority of 18 and 15 rated films are perfectly appropriate for any normally adjusted 12 year old (the last 18 rated film I saw was The Departed - completely absurd rating).

It irritates me so much, especially as someone old enough to watch any legal film, that they are constantly cut in the name of attaining lower classifications and maximizing potential attendance.

"Ridley Scott admits to the BBC that some cuts from Prometheus were made. Though, not so much "new scenes", but instead mainly cuts of violent scenes and gore."

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/comm...ums/topic/6733

It's, for all intents and purposes, a ****ing Alien film. He even claimed he wouldn't do this.

So whilst people are increasingly witnessing the slaughtering of real people on the TV and internet, cut's need to made to works of fiction.

Seems totally ****ing legit.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what response you want to this, but...I agree with you?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read earlier that most of the complaints for Black Swan were from people who were expecting a nice film about ballet. Do some research! Ah.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It seems odd that they bother to take note of 40 complaints of a major film.

"That it was a sex scene between two women was an aggravating factor for some who argued that portrayals of homosexual activity should either be restricted to the 18 category, or not shown at all."
    Hilarious.

On that note, is Black Swan any good?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    TSR censored my thread on psychopaths.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the BBFC is quite as bad as people make out. Very little material gets cut outright these days.

If cuts are made then, like you say, it's often because the distributor requested them so as to get a lower certificate. Even that isn't especially common. And if it does happen then you'll still normally be able to see the original uncut version when the film gets released to DVD.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18797882

**** all of this bull****.

"I have no doubt we are one of the more conservative classification bodies in Europe”

He says that like it's a good thing. Sure, warn people on the content of films as evidently a very small minority are incapable of handling something as harmless as a love scene, but the vast majority of 18 and 15 rated films are perfectly appropriate for any normally adjusted 12 year old (the last 18 rated film I saw was The Departed - completely absurd rating).

It irritates me so much, especially as someone old enough to watch any legal film, that they are constantly cut in the name of attaining lower classifications and maximizing potential attendance.

"Ridley Scott admits to the BBC that some cuts from Prometheus were made. Though, not so much "new scenes", but instead mainly cuts of violent scenes and gore."

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/comm...ums/topic/6733

It's, for all intents and purposes, a ****ing Alien film. He even claimed he wouldn't do this.

So whilst people are increasingly witnessing the slaughtering of real people on the TV and internet, cut's need to made to works of fiction.

Seems totally ****ing legit.
    tbh it's changed it's outlook a lot since 2000 ish. Before that it was stuffy old establishment types deciding what it was right for the proles to be able to watch. Now it's all focus group driven and has some sort of claim on reflecting contemporary public opinion fwiw. if for example the french public get upset by different things to the british cinema goers, shouldn't the national classification bodies reflect this?
    The makers of a big budget sci fi naturally want it to make them a lot of money.

Ps there's a piece in this weeks spectator about the changing role of the bbfc.
    Pps the original terminator film was an 18 when it came out... Hard to belive when you watch it these days.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know what I find hilarious... the BBFC isn't even a government body and thus should not have the power to censor anything, it is funded by the film industry and given powers it should not have by the government... that is privatisation gone wrong and too far in my opinion.
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    If for example the french public get upset by different things to the british cinema goers, shouldn't the national classification bodies reflect this?
    Have you seen some of the age ratings of some films? The Exorcist for instance is a 12 (18 in UK) and Borat which is 15 in the UK is Tous Publics which is the equivalent of a U here... we are extremely relaxed on film ratings. I actually cannot think of a film that has been banned.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midlandsman)
    I don't think the BBFC is quite as bad as people make out. Very little material gets cut outright these days.
    Agreed. The Irish board is harsher than the BBFC, for example. We've also seen in recent years usage of f**k being passed for 12 certs. It wasn't long ago that a f**k in any context would give a film an automatic 15 rating

(Original post by tehFrance)
    Have you seen some of the age ratings of some films? The Exorcist for instance is a 12 (18 in UK) and Borat which is 15 in the UK is Tous Publics which is the equivalent of a U here... we are extremely relaxed on film ratings. I actually cannot think of a film that has been banned.
    Yeah France is an interesting one. Ichi the Killer was given a -12 I believe, for example, which seems curious to me given some of its content. I'm pretty sure at least one of Breillant's films has had issues with censorship in France (aswell as everywhere else ofc).

To give you an example of a film that was banned in France - Godard's Le Petit Soldat.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 13, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.