The Student Room Group

Head Girl Interview?

So I come back from my D of E expedition to find out that my head girl interview has been schedueled for Monday! Has anyone got any tips in order to best sell myself as a good head girl? (no idea what will come up, but I know it's with the headteacher).
Reply 1
be yourself.
Reply 2
I would say that you should try to show that you are passionate for the role. Also, be confident and aware of your weaknesses and strengths. Also, note down a few realistic changes that you would make to the school if nominated. Prove to the teachers that you are well-rounded and enthusiastic.

Also, ask your teachers what qualities and skills they are looking for in a head girl and refer to those in the interview. Good luck!
Reply 3
every school will be different in what head girls actually do. What is there about you that would make you good at the roles the head girl has to perform at your school?

stuff like, punctuality, good time management to fit in the extra stuff as well as studying.
Reply 4
"Show" them you're the best head they'll ever have :smile:
As Head Boy of my college, I'm reasonable qualified to advise you, I hope.

I found that being myself worked. If you can connect with your interviewer, maybe make them laugh, it'll help. Make it very clear that you're dedicated and passionate to the task at hand. Also, when you talk about how great you are, substantiate each point, such as "I feel that I work well in a team, as I demonstrated by captaining the school netball team for 3 years" or something along those lines.

Plus, you can probably predict some of the questions:

Why do you want the place?
What've you done for the school so far?
How do you see the role?
What would you like to change?

So, think about answers for those.
Reply 6
I was head girl of my school and in my interview babbled through all of my achievements and successes. Then I did the 'selling' bit as to why I would be the best candidate which included the usual stuff like being a friendly positive role model, being approachable by younger students, a good public speaker, having positive ideas about the usual biz such as charity and togetherness. Basically.... I just realllly smiled a lot and was overly enthusiastic and bubbly. I do not know how I ended up getting it as I was sonervous I basically sprinted through my speech and ended up beet red! just come across very natural and happy! good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Talk about your plans and ambitions for the school - don't real off about "all you've done - Jazz band, prefect, choir etc." Just show them you're tough, easy to work with, clever and will get the job done for them. It's better to over talk in the interview that under talk and seem uninterested.
Good luck!
Reply 8
Few pointers I guess,

1. Don't be afraid to 'sell yourself'. They'll want to know what qualities you have. Obviously, don't go overboard, but I'd say, talk about three of your best qualities and how they make you ideal for the duties of Head Girl.

2. I know it kinda goes without saying, but be honest. The more simple, truthful and honest your answers, the better they are.

3. Some teachers, (speaking from my school) hate diplomats. They want opinions, that are backed up. They may ask you a question, giving you a scenario. Give your true opinion on what you think.

4. Whatever you tell them (qualities, likes/dislikes, extra curricular activities) always state how they've helped you be a better person, and the best candidate for head girl.

Hope this helps :h:
Original post by JayReg

Brilliant. :lol:

I'd pos rep if I could.
Reply 10
Isnt head girl usually a popularity contest?
Original post by ZerofeX

Indeed, but a head boy/head girl position looks great on a Personal Statement.
Reply 12
Original post by ZerofeX

Usually, but at my school it's not voted on by the students so I guess not here.
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
As Head Boy of my college, I'm reasonable qualified to advise you, I hope.

I found that being myself worked. If you can connect with your interviewer, maybe make them laugh, it'll help. Make it very clear that you're dedicated and passionate to the task at hand. Also, when you talk about how great you are, substantiate each point, such as "I feel that I work well in a team, as I demonstrated by captaining the school netball team for 3 years" or something along those lines.

Plus, you can probably predict some of the questions:

Why do you want the place?
What've you done for the school so far?
How do you see the role?
What would you like to change?

So, think about answers for those.

Thank you! This was very helpful.
Original post by JayReg

Oh dear :P

Original post by Quantaˌ
I would say that you should try to show that you are passionate for the role. Also, be confident and aware of your weaknesses and strengths. Also, note down a few realistic changes that you would make to the school if nominated. Prove to the teachers that you are well-rounded and enthusiastic.

Also, ask your teachers what qualities and skills they are looking for in a head girl and refer to those in the interview. Good luck!

Thank you! I've emailed a few teachers asking about the qualities (here's hoping I haven't left it too late, haha) and come up with a few ideas!
Reply 13
Original post by Xiomara
-Snip-

Good luck with your application!
Showcase your leadership qualities, quoting experiences such as your D of E expedition as proof and proposing ways in which you would do your role in a just and responsible way.

Say what you will bring to the role and how you can be a role model for others.

Highlight how dedicated you are to the school and how you enjoy and value your education.

Try not to sound arrogant and say things like "It will look good on my CV" or "I just want to do it to look cool" as this shows that you don't want it for the reasons they want you to want it.

Also, be yourself and ​smile.

Quick Reply

Latest