Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best headphones under 50 quid?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What are the best headphones I can get for under £50?

Edit: Over-head
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you mean over-ear headphones and not earphones, these Goldrings are pretty damn good, though slightly over budget:

http://www.headphone-shop.co.uk/BRAN...eadphones.html
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmcookies)
    you talking about in ear or over head?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    -In ear, on ear or over ear?
    -What kind of music do you listen to?
    -Where will you be using them?

If you can provide those answers I'll be able to throw a few suggestions your way [=
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    you talking about in ear or over head?

(Original post by Gofre)
    -In ear, on ear or over ear?
    -What kind of music do you listen to?
    -Where will you be using them?

If you can provide those answers I'll be able to throw a few suggestions your way [=
    Over head. I listen to rap, rock, metal, dubstep.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any particular place you'll be using them or just general/outside use?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sony MDR XB300 are fantastic, about £30. Have had them for about a year and absolutely no complaints, listening to all kinds of music (rock, dubstep/dnb/rap etc)

Comfortable and not overly large
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a pair of Panasonic RP-HTF600E-S which I bought about 2 weeks ago. No complaints what so ever, they're comfortable and sound quality is fantastic.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesvancollier)
    Sony MDR XB300 are fantastic, about £30. Have had them for about a year and absolutely no complaints, listening to all kinds of music (rock, dubstep/dnb/rap etc)

Comfortable and not overly large
    I'm not a fan of the XB300s myself, way too unbalanced from the brief time I spent with them. The XB500s are still within budget and a significant step up in terms of basshead cans.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

(Original post by Gofre)
    Home mostly and outside as well I guess.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Home mostly and outside as well I guess.
    Haha my suggestion really falls on this point =P If they're going to be used solely for home use, then the Superlux HD 668B headphones are hands down the best available compared to anything at up almost double your budget, the sound reproduction is fantastic and they still see regular use alongside my £400 custom in-ear monitors. A fantastic puchase for £30, especially so for rock. However aside from being ugly as sin, they are open back headphones, meaning the backs are vented and offer very poor isolation, making them very unsuitable for outside use. If you're after an all purpose pair, go for the Creative Aurvana Live, which are a rebranded version of a pair of headphones from highly respected manufacturer Denon. They sound great for £50. If you are a basshead and think you might enjoy very overemphasised bass, then the Sony MDR XB500s are the way to go. Not recommended if you listen to a lot of rock though, the mids on the XB line are pretty recessed. The first two pairs are the way to go in my opinion (:
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at HD202 or Panasonic RP-HTX7
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the Sennheiser PX 200-II too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Haha my suggestion really falls on this point =P If they're going to be used solely for home use, then the Superlux HD 668B headphones are hands down the best available compared to anything at up almost double your budget, the sound reproduction is fantastic and they still see regular use alongside my £400 custom in-ear monitors. A fantastic puchase for £30, especially so for rock. However aside from being ugly as sin, they are open back headphones, meaning the backs are vented and offer very poor isolation, making them very unsuitable for outside use. If you're after an all purpose pair, go for the Creative Aurvana Live, which are a rebranded version of a pair of headphones from highly respected manufacturer Denon. They sound great for £50. If you are a basshead and think you might enjoy very overemphasised bass, then the Sony MDR XB500s are the way to go. Not recommended if you listen to a lot of rock though, the mids on the XB line are pretty recessed. The first two pairs are the way to go in my opinion (:
    Thanks for your input! I've short listed these 2:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C14419648.htm

and

the XB500s. Which ones are better in your opinion?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your input! I've short listed these 2:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C14419648.htm

and

the XB500s. Which ones are better in your opinion?
    I've mentioned in another thread recently that I'm not a massive fan of the 202s, for under £35 they're inferior to the AKG K81DJ which are themselves inferior to the Creative Aurvana Lives. It's for this reason I'd strongly recommend reconsidering the Lives over either pair, or look into the aforementioned K81DJ. If you insist on picking between those two, I would say it depends on how much rock you listen to and how much of a bass head ou are. The XB500s are a very fun listen when it comes to electronic music, but they are not an accurate listen, the mids and highs are pretty recessed (the highs especially so) and heavy bass is nigh-on omnipresent, they don't make a very good headphone for rock in my opinion. The 202s are, by comparison, a lot more balanced and accurate, they don't hit the same levels of jaw shaking bass though, so it's a judgement call really.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    This might sound like a dumb question, but are the second ones (Aurvana Live) very loud? I bought these stupid skullcandy ones as they were in a sale, but even at max volume it's hardly loud.

With regards to the Superlux HD 668B headphones, I would intend to use them indoors only, but I wouldn't really want noise blaring out very loudly, is that what you were referring to by vented? Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They have large drivers so yea

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel_R)
    They have large drivers so yea

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
    Not necessarily, bigger drivers means more power is required to fully drive them. It depends on the source.

(Original post by M1011)
    This might sound like a dumb question, but are the second ones (Aurvana Live) very loud? I bought these stupid skullcandy ones as they were in a sale, but even at max volume it's hardly loud.

With regards to the Superlux HD 668B headphones, I would intend to use them indoors only, but I wouldn't really want noise blaring out very loudly, is that what you were referring to by vented? Thanks!
    The Lives have identically sized drivers and impedance as those Skullcandys, although I doubt the Skullcandys are particularly efficient. I would expect them to go louder, but exactly how loud is hard to say since I've only ever used the Lives when paired with a headphone amplifier. What are you playing your music out of?

Regarding the Superluxes, leakage isn't too bad. By vented I mean the backs of the headphones aren't sealed like most of the headphones you'll have seen are. If you go into google and have a look at the sennheiser hd 600 headphones you'll see what I mean, you can see the internals very clearly. This allows air to flow uninterrupted, meaning low noise isolation and high noise pollution. The Superluxes are more semi-open though, they have a series of small openings rather than being completely open, which keeps leaking down. At moderate volumes you can avoid bothering people in the same room.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I was thinking about buying the Sony MDR XB500s but apparently the bass is SO over emphasised that your ears hurt. Can you recommend any others in the 30-40 range which aren't ugly as sin?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just ordered a pair of these of Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...31JEPFA80094HW

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41KMEa-sMAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	164903

They look good and have some good reviews. A friend of mine has a pair and swears by them.

Plus they've got some serious money off them atm on Amazon. And they come in lots of colours.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 8, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.