Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TV: Show Me Your Money

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watch this? Basically its a company without any formal pay structure getting employees to open up to how differing their salaries are (like £10k difference for the same job and hours). I had my mouth hanging open in awe, its pretty much a documentary on how not to run an ethical company.

The boss himself seemed like an absolute t**t to put it lightly, took zero responsibility for the mess.

I'm also quite gobsmacked how much the tradesmen were on; £100-150k a year?! :eek: Its a tough job yes but thats more than many other professional jobs. I don't believe its that specialized to entitle them to that much, not when the mechanics were on 25k (probably an equal difficulty and skill). Theres me applying for 12k trainee lawyer positions, I need to get a plumbing qualification! I'll be lucky if I'm earning 30k in ten years time. I wouldn't mind so much but they seemed the most unlikeable bunch, no care for their work, just doing it for the money; just no passion really.

Anyway, heres the link:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/s...your-money/4od
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I just watched this and really couldn't believe what happened, it was pretty shameful! I thought it was going to be good but it just left me cross with how they "resolved" the issue of poor management and no set pay scales. So immoral.

With regards to the tradesman, their salary is really high but I got the impression that it included a lot of overtime. At least they are employed based on their work/merit rather than the 120k bosses son.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I watched this too and had mixed feelings about it. I agree that Charlie came across as an absolute prick there was barely a hint of him taking responsibility for the pay scheme, or lack of, in his OWN company until the end when he apologised to the call centre workers for the pay issues.. I also hated that arrogant bloke who thought he was brilliant for giving up £1,000 of his huge salary when he was asking for a £19,000 rise to begin with, he even admitted basically the only reason he did it was because he felt sorry for the girl who worked in the canteen. And on that girl, why the **** would you travel 2 hours to work and back?

Had high hopes for the program but it just seemed like a big mess tbh and it would be interesting to see how happy they really are without TV cameras rolling.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJ555)
    Anyone watch this? Basically its a company without any formal pay structure getting employees to open up to how differing their salaries are (like £10k difference for the same job and hours). I had my mouth hanging open in awe, its pretty much a documentary on how not to run an ethical company.
    I haven't seen the program but that doesn't follow at all. Just because the position and hours are the same doesn't mean the employees are equally good at their jobs. In fact finding two people who would, say, sell exactly the same value of goods per hour would be amazing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    I haven't seen the program but that doesn't follow at all. Just because the position and hours are the same doesn't mean the employees are equally good at their jobs. In fact finding two people who would, say, sell exactly the same value of goods per hour would be amazing.
    Watch the programme. It didn't seem related to performance at all, as the manager seemed to be clueless as to the actual goings on of the staff.

One new starter was paid £21k in comparison to the staff that had been there years being paid £18k (this was for the same job and hours). And thats not a bonus for doing better, he was paid more from the very start.

Another two guys who worked exactly the same job in the bodyshop were paid about 9k difference.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 257532)
    I just watched this and really couldn't believe what happened, it was pretty shameful! I thought it was going to be good but it just left me cross with how they "resolved" the issue of poor management and no set pay scales. So immoral.

With regards to the tradesman, their salary is really high but I got the impression that it included a lot of overtime. At least they are employed based on their work/merit rather than the 120k bosses son.

Pretty amazed at the salaries the plumbers were earning, granted they did mention that they work 12 hours+ I think it was 5am to 8pm? Pretty hard work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)

Pretty amazed at the salaries the plumbers were earning, granted they did mention that they work 12 hours+ I think it was 5am to 8pm? Pretty hard work.
    Perhaps but they hardly looked like they were going flat out, seemed more of the tea break every ten minutes type of workers. Its not the quantity of hours, its the quality. ;p Especially given them being unable to handle the call centre, sure its must be a very alien environment for them, but they seemed pretty slow of the mark/less than enthusiastic.

Besides, there are plenty of people that do 12 hours shifts for far lower salaries so that alone doesn't justify it to me.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki TV section

Quick link:

Unanswered TV threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.