The Student Room Group

body fat percentage - photos

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chrisateen
I totally understand but she has been going to the gym, lifting and doing cardio and not made a single progress in terms of her body shape. Hence why I suggested she lifts and bulk for a few months then cut. You do have a point as for example I lift really heavy, been eating on a calorie deficit and do some cardio also and have made some progress but she hasn't so she needs to change her approach. The worst thing for her to do right now is to lose any more weight as she's just going to look stick thin and still be skinny fat. The advice I have given would be exactly the same advice she would get if she posted on bodybuilding.com.

She never said anywhere the frequency she was going to the gym...:confused:

Is she going 5 times a week? If you go that often, even eating maintenance, you'll look good. It's just calories in, calories out. She'll lose fat. If she eats less and doesn't do weights, she'll get stick thin - though she probs lose fat too.

Edit: actually, I remembered my confusion - she said on page 2 she hadn't joined a gym and it was time to join one...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rancorous
She looks like that because she just isn't working out. I don't care what she says, she isn't. Step 1, Go to the gym, get the motivation, with frequency as a noob you can do just about anything and see results as long as you're not eating like a pig. Lack of motivation is the number one reason people look like that.

Telling someone 100 different things is over-complicating it. You can put on muscle and lose fat despite what you might think, especially if you're a noob, just not very significantly. Bulking and cutting is great if you're on steroids, or for a guy who wants to put on significant amounts of muscle, for a girl who is starting out and doesn't have a trainer, I think it's a pretty appalling strategy.

The issue is not how often she is working out, the issue is how intensely she is working out! You can see good results working out for an hour 3 times a week. She's obviously motivated as she still wants to exercise even after months of exercising and little progress.

And why is telling a girl to lift appalling? You're saying if a guy didn't have a trainer, lifting weights would be fine? If a guy doesn't make amazing progress without steroids, and women have 10-17 times less testosterone than men on average, then they won't achieve anywhere near the often-slow progress that men get. So why should she do something else? The difference between men and women is the (proportional) level of bodyfat. Women and men should train alike. Don't be such a clueless ignorant moron.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm all for bulking, cutting, lifting, especially bodyweighted exercises and I've said so - I just think for noobs, it's better to get to the gym, do cardio, lift weights and get your motivation together; for a guy bulking is the way to go despite the dangers of going dreamer, but for a girl noob it's unnecessary. Plenty of girls especially models look great and don't even go at all - they let their diet do most of the work. If you go 5 times a week, you're improving in what you're doing, you'll be looking better -it's that simple.

When, then, do you suggest that a noob progresses from doing all that cardio to doing weights? Those models you speak of look the way they do because of the way they are genetically predetermined to store fat. Cardio is such a ****ty, low intensity stimulus - if you improved in your cardio over a period of months, and kept eating maintenance calories, you wouldn't look any different at all. Cue motivation going down the ****ing drain.

To the OP - you have a good hip to waist ratio and good arse genetics from what I can see, just do what OldSchool and Chrisateen have said, get on dem dere HEAVY free weights.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HFerguson
The issue is not how often she is working out, the issue is how intensely she is working out! You can see good results working out for an hour 3 times a week.

Totally agree with this statement. I probably spend about 30mins 3 times a week lifting weights and I have made lots of progress as the intensity is right for me.

Also the muscle needs to recover (as lifting weights tears down the muscle fibres). Its during the recovery stage in which the muscle repairs itself and gets bigger and stronger and lifting 5 times a week is not giving the body enough time to recover which is essential to building muscle as well as lifting and eating right
Totally agree with this statement. I probably spend about 30mins 3 times a week lifting weights and I have made lots of progress as the intensity is right for me.

Also the muscle needs to recover (as lifting weights tears down the muscle fibres). Its during the recovery stage in which the muscle repairs itself and gets bigger and stronger and lifting 5 times a week is not giving the body enough time to recover which is essential to building muscle as well as lifting and eating right

"Quality not quantity" is my motto :awesome:
The issue is not how often she is working out, the issue is how intensely she is working out! You can see good results working out for an hour 3 times a week. She's obviously motivated as she still wants to exercise even after months of exercising and still looking like ****.

And why is telling a girl to lift appalling? You're saying if a guy didn't have a trainer, lifting weights would be fine? If a guy doesn't make amazing progress without steroids, and women have 10-17 times less testosterone than men on average, then they won't achieve anywhere near the often-slow progress that men get. So why should she do something else? The difference between men and women is the (proportional) level of bodyfat. Women and men should train alike. Don't be such a clueless ignorant moron.

She's not going to the gym. It's as simple as that.

She hasn't ever said the frequency she's doing. She admits she isn't a member I think. What people say and what they actually do are two different things. 5 times a week, I don't care - she'll look like she works out. 3 times a week, 45 minute sessions can be fine as well - but for cutting some fat, frequency is a little bit better. Obviously it depends on the individual, but she's never going to be muscular - cutting fat is really quick, one month, 5 times a week - she'll look much better.

Men and women shouldn't necessarily train exactly the same, just as a big guy and small guy shouldn't train the same - it depends on their goals and their progress level. Again though, please don't put words in my mouth. I obviously never said a word against lifting for girls.
Reply 66
You have a typical pear shape, which is the most normal female body shape. It means you gain weight around your hips, butt, lower stomach and upper thighs. Most women are either "apples" or "pears" and out of these, pear shape is the healthiest. Getting slim and firm thighs is therefore difficult (part of the reason why it's one of those areas which are the most popular to do liposuction). If you're an apple or straight up and down, getting slim thighs is not a problem. You can obviously tone up yours, but don't expect them to get Victoria's Secret-like. Women do have a bit of natural fat around hips and underneath your belly button. To remove that, you are working against nature so to speak, which is why it's difficult.
I am also a pear shape, yet my thigh muscles are quite big, so there are limits to how small I can get my thighs. I've also done a lot of cycling for exercise. To stay slim in my lower body I have to stay very slim all over (as a pear, your upper body will be very skinny which your lower body is perfect).
Youtube some exercise videos (e.g. Candice Swanepoel workout) and look at those which are for lengthening and toning muscles - it gives the most feminine and slender result.
The best way to get your body fat percentage right, is to ask a doctor. He/she can also tell you where you are in 'the range'.
Don't worry, your body is not bad :smile: You have nice proportions, you just need to intensify your workout.

(OP I advice you to block people on the thread who behave rude - there are some people with anger issues on TSR)
(edited 11 years ago)
When, then, do you suggest that a noob progresses from doing all that cardio to doing weights? Those models you speak of look the way they do because of the way they are genetically predetermined to store fat. Cardio is such a ****ty, low intensity stimulus - if you improved in your cardio over a period of months, and kept eating maintenance calories, you wouldn't look any different at all. Cue motivation going down the ****ing drain.

To the OP - you have a good hip to waist ratio and good arse genetics from what I can see, just do what OldSchool and Chrisateen have said, get on dem dere HEAVY free weights.

Cardio is obviously an important component in any cutting regime. Steady state cardio has its place, as does HIIT. In conjunction with weights. If you keep doing the same old **** week after week, you'll stop improving and will look the same, it's the same with weights - which is why I said something to the effect of improve what you're doing week after week......:rolleyes:
"Quality not quantity" is my motto :awesome:

Completely depends on the person and the routine. For some 4 days is best. Some it's 3. Depends on what suits you - you have to experiment.
She's not going to the gym. It's as simple as that.

She hasn't ever said the frequency she's doing. She admits she isn't a member I think. What people say and what they actually do are two different things. 5 times a week, I don't care - she'll look like she works out. 3 times a week, 45 minute sessions can be fine as well - but for cutting some fat, frequency is a little bit better. Obviously it depends on the individual, but she's never going to be muscular - cutting fat is really quick, one month, 5 times a week - she'll look much better.

Men and women shouldn't necessarily train exactly the same, just as a big guy and small guy shouldn't train the same - it depends on their goals and their progress level. Again though, please don't put words in my mouth. I obviously never said a word against lifting for girls.

she doesn't need to lose any fat right now, she needs to increase her muscle in proportion to her bodyfat :judge:

And explain to me why women and men shouldn't train the same? Most people want to improve their physique - best thing the average trainee can do for this is to lift heavy ****in weights and increase their muscle mass.
Reply 70
Original post by other one
having three people talking about my body as it was the most disgusting thing on earth makes me particularly appreciate your comment. I must have put in a particularly unflattering pic as I do get a lot of male attention, esp on the beach/in tight clothes and my face is not particularly beautiful.

I'd like to have no pinachable fat on my lower abs, or indeed anywhere. I do not want a six-pack, I don't want to look too muscly and I don't want a wider waist.

A lot of the fitness fanatics on here are all for pure strength training. They seem to think that everyone comes here to be the next big bodybuilder and forget that most people are just looking for a healthier lifestyle or to drop a few pounds.

Don't pay any attention to them lol. I think it's great you've lost that weight already, you're obviously doing something right. Keep up the good work :colondollar:

The most important thing is nutrition, make sure you eat correct and you should achieve your goal very soon.
she doesn't need to lose any fat right now, she needs to increase her muscle in proportion to her bodyfat :judge:

And explain to me why women and men shouldn't train the same? Most people want to improve their physique - best thing the average trainee can do for this is to lift heavy ****in weights and increase their muscle mass.

The problem is I'm not disagreeing with this. I'm saying lift heavy! I just don't think a powerlifting routine is the answer to everyone's problems no matter who they are. I'm just saying doing a starting strength routine isn't the best idea for a number of reasons or at least unnecessary...just going 3-6 times a week, actually doing cardio and doing some lifting is all she needs to know. I think higher frequency is better when you're lifting less weight, the more weight you lift, the longer it takes for muscles to recover; that's why girls and noobs can get away with higher frequency.

It's really not as complicated as you're making it out to be, i.e. do this powerlifting routine, 3 days a week, you must do squats, deadlifts, arnold presses whatever (loads of the people I see doing powerlifts in the gym are doing them wrong and potentially will get an injury out of them) - there are no rules, and if you want to look healthy and fit all you need to do is a little bit of exercise everyday. The more intense the better. People have different goals.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
I don't think you have a disgusting body either. You asked about how to make progress and look less skinny fat and I am just trying to give you some advice.

Also can I also ask as well to post a pic of what is your ideal body as maybe lifting and gaining a few pounds is not for you. (I don't believe lifting and gaining weight would make you bulky but you may think that it would make you bulky)

pls see attached file, a recent holiday shot in the same bikini, me larking around and laughing wryly about my skinny fat figure :smile: :frown: :
1: fat on abs (see original third picture in my first post) is what I hate most, I don't want that there, I don't want to be able to pinch it when I sit down
2: love handles, would be nice if they were gone, but not as hateful as the ab-flab
3: again could be a bit slimmer (but not even sure if possible to be on the pill and have these areas really slim?!)
4: bit less flabby (ie more muscle ) would be nice
5: bit more flesh/meat so you don't see bones there

I know you can't spot reduce/spot gain, but just wanted to let you know. my main qualm about my body is that when you look at it, you think 'how thin, with a fat middle'. it's disproportionate.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1z06f99KT1qg3o9ho1_500.png
http://www.ultimate-health-fitness-and-personal-training.com/images/toned-female-abs-oceanside7-1-300.jpg
or Abbey Clancy as I said appeals.

http://girlgetstrong.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tracy3.jpg
bit too much.

http://www.kottke.org/plus/misc/images/dara-torres.jpg
far too much

http://www.forbodybuilders.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/fitness2.jpg
also far too much

tbh I'd like to be stronger too, my posture is not great, so more muscle on arms and back wouldn't go amiss. so lifting heavy is the way to go I think, but also seeing how my constitution or body type is 'thin' and I have wide hips and a tiny waist, I probably wouldn't ever look like these really muscly women anyhow, I don't think weight lifting all round can really make a difference there. i hope so anyway. the whr is something that I actually like about my body.
(edited 11 years ago)
While she doesn't have a lot of muscle, she's not what I'd call skinny fat either, in fact most of the fat is around her stomach and she's already said she's not looking for a really 'toned' physique so yeah doing weights will help but she doesn't need to build muscle to extent some people are suggesting; she does need to reduce body fat to get the body she wants. And it's not a lot of fat to get rid of either. 1 month doing HIIT 3x a week on top of her normal routine and a clean diet - so not just focusing on quantity of calories and reducing sugar and starchy carbs - and she wouldn't have that pooch of fat.

Plus OP, your body isn't anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be :tongue:
Reply 74
How accurate is that ?
I bought this over 5 years ago, maybe even 10 lol
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accu-Measure-Fitness-Personal-Tester/dp/B000G7YW74/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1342560568&sr=1-1-catcorr

I think the Accu Measure one has the marker thingy, so when it clicks in place you can take it off then read the measurement. The one you linked to doesn't so you have to read it whilst holding it? Awkward :s-smilie:
Reply 76
really? :smile:

dara torres muscle - google :smile:
It can be rather difficult to get an accurate body fat percentage merely from pictures. You have to remember that generally, pictures will only give you an idea subcutaneous fat but not so much visceral fat (unless you have so much that it causes visible abdominal extension). Visceral fat is that which exists in the abdominal cavity and so lies around your organs. (It could range from very little to around 2 litres without much extension, so could make up over 4% of your body weight).

For yourself, you seem to look quite healthy. You might be upset with your level of body fat but generally women have a higher body fat percentage than men, something which is important for their function as child bearers. Instead of trying to merely lose more weight, which will probably cause you to lose further weight off of your bottom, breasts and thighs on top of the intended waist or abdomen, you could maybe do some light weight training or something like that to increase your muscle mass. This would make you look like you have less fat (which you would as a body percentage seeing as your total weight would increase) without getting so thin that you lose fat in the more attractive areas of your body i.e. your bottom and breasts.
Original post by other one
pls see attached file, a recent holiday shot in the same bikini, me larking around and laughing wryly about my skinny fat figure :smile: :frown: :
1: fat on abs (see original third picture in my first post) is what I hate most, I don't want that there, I don't want to be able to pinch it when I sit down
2: love handles, would be nice if they were gone, but not as hateful as the ab-flab
3: again could be a bit slimmer (but not even sure if possible to be on the pill and have these areas really slim?!)
4: bit less flabby (ie more muscle ) would be nice
5: bit more flesh/meat so you don't see bones there

I know you can't spot reduce/spot gain, but just wanted to let you know. my main qualm about my body is that when you look at it, you think 'how thin, with a fat middle'. it's disproportionate.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1z06f99KT1qg3o9ho1_500.png
http://www.ultimate-health-fitness-and-personal-training.com/images/toned-female-abs-oceanside7-1-300.jpg
or Abbey Clancy as I said appeals.

http://girlgetstrong.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tracy3.jpg
bit too much.

http://www.kottke.org/plus/misc/images/dara-torres.jpg
far too much

http://www.forbodybuilders.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/fitness2.jpg
also far too much

tbh I'd like to be stronger too, my posture is not great, so more muscle on arms and back wouldn't go amiss. so lifting heavy is the way to go I think, but also seeing how my constitution or body type is 'thin' and I have wide hips and a tiny waist, I probably wouldn't ever look like these really muscly women anyhow, I don't think weight lifting all round can really make a difference there. i hope so anyway. the whr is something that I actually like about my body.

I don't think naturally you can get to the stage where you get 'too muscular' particularly with your body type. I just giving you advice as what I would do if I where in your position but what you decide you do is up to you at the end of the day. Everyone on here will have conflicting opinions on what you should or should not do so only you can decide the next thing to do so I'm not going to give you any more advice apart from what I have posted before.

Good luck with your plans though and hope you get the body you are after

Quick Reply

Latest